Jump to content
Jayme2020

Ottawa Aces (Merged Threads)

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

First post here so sorry for length, I have been viewing this forum for a long time.

I moved out to Vancouver from the UK in 2009. My kids have gone through the BC High School system where they played (Gridiron) Football and RU, my eldest actually played RU at the provincial level (same group as Quinn Ngawati), but chose to take a gridiron university scholarship, he plays on one of the country’s top university teams. My other son graduated high school last year, he plays university RU. As a result of watching my kids I can say there are a staggering number of talented athletes playing high school RU at grades 11 and 12, however nearly all of them stop playing on graduating high school, usually because they are good enough to earn athletic scholarships at universities playing other sports, there are few that continue playing RU and of course there are no RL clubs to attract them.

I have attended several RU high school championships with my sons and am surprised that no one from the Wolfpack has ever been present, I would have thought that if you wanted to find potential Canadian talent then the BC High Schools Provincial RU Championships would be a good place to start given that a. BC is the strongest province for RU in Canada and b. You would get a lot of interest from kids (and families) if you offer the potential of a pro contract given that the lack of money in Canadian RU is a prime factor in kids quitting (also university RU, most players not on any scholarships, those that are its often only $1,000).

I was hopeful that Ottawa would attempt to at least tryout this young Canadian talent, it appears that they may just try to be Wolfpack 2.0.

Good to have you on board, Oldbear. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to finally get on board, I lost interest in RL when I moved to BC, this place is hockey, hockey and more hockey, however when the Wolfpack were formed I got my interest back. I really want the Wolfpack to do well, and Ottawa, I have visited Lamport to see my old team (Thunder) and its a great experience which everyone should do if they can. I just feel that the Wolfpack should have made more of an effort to scout BC and Ontario high school RU and Canadian University RU from League 1 times and I hope Ottawa don’t make the same mistake. I honestly believe you could find guys at this level who really want the chance for a pro career who could be Championship standard in a couple of years if given the right coaching, some even Super League standard, however this will cost $$$ and I’m not sure that either the Wolfpack orOttawa is committed to that kind of spend.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh and one more point before I go to work, someone earlier proposed Vancouver as a possibility for a new team, I think not because

1. It’s a gruelling flight, it’s bad enough Vancouver- Toronto!,

2. stadium choice is either BC Place (too big and expensive), Swanguard (about as good as New River), UBC (also dated and uncomfortable)

3. This is the power centre of Canadian RU and the truth is that crowds at a typical whole round of BC Premier RU is less than 1,000, they only show up forTeam Canada and Sevens!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

Oh and one more point before I go to work, someone earlier proposed Vancouver as a possibility for a new team, I think not because

1. It’s a gruelling flight, it’s bad enough Vancouver- Toronto!,

2. stadium choice is either BC Place (too big and expensive), Swanguard (about as good as New River), UBC (also dated and uncomfortable)

3. This is the power centre of Canadian RU and the truth is that crowds at a typical whole round of BC Premier RU is less than 1,000, they only show up forTeam Canada and Sevens!

It would be nice to see Vancouver get a team but your points are dead on travel on its own would be a issue and cost to rent BC Place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This new Canadian team is  a real mistake by the rl. This further goes to hurt championship and league one clubs from any promotion due to ottawa being heavily financed. What's the bet come June when Toronto still bottom the rl cancels relegation. Imagine having 2 Canadian teams in the championship. I think I've had it with rugby league now. Complete joke and attendances nose diving. Football only for me now.

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

Oh and one more point before I go to work, someone earlier proposed Vancouver as a possibility for a new team, I think not because

1. It’s a gruelling flight, it’s bad enough Vancouver- Toronto!,

2. stadium choice is either BC Place (too big and expensive), Swanguard (about as good as New River), UBC (also dated and uncomfortable)

3. This is the power centre of Canadian RU and the truth is that crowds at a typical whole round of BC Premier RU is less than 1,000, they only show up forTeam Canada and Sevens!

People also suggest the Wolfpack taking some early season games to Vancouver, given the milder winter weather out there, instead of playing "home" games in the UK. Could you see that working? Could they draw crowds for one or two games a season, marketed as an event and drawing on being "Canada's team" a la Raptors

(given that this is actually an ottawa thread... perhaps the same/similar could apply to the Aces)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mrfranco said:

People also suggest the Wolfpack taking some early season games to Vancouver, given the milder winter weather out there, instead of playing "home" games in the UK. Could you see that working? Could they draw crowds for one or two games a season, marketed as an event and drawing on being "Canada's team" a la Raptors

(given that this is actually an ottawa thread... perhaps the same/similar could apply to the Aces)

Part of the issue in Vancouver has no outdoor stadium that is really big there only big stadium in BC Place and it would make more sense for both Ottawa and Toronto to play a couple games out of Rogers Centre in Toronto.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Jayme2020 said:

Part of the issue in Vancouver has no outdoor stadium that is really big there only big stadium in BC Place and it would make more sense for both Ottawa and Toronto to play a couple games out of Rogers Centre in Toronto.

The Rogers Centre is permanently in baseball configuration. The Blue Jays don't want to share.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hxrlfc3 said:

This new Canadian team is  a real mistake by the rl. This further goes to hurt championship and league one clubs from any promotion due to ottawa being heavily financed. What's the bet come June when Toronto still bottom the rl cancels relegation. Imagine having 2 Canadian teams in the championship. I think I've had it with rugby league now. Complete joke and attendances nose diving. Football only for me now.

If you've had it then it was a bit of a waste of time signing up just to post this.

  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Oldbear said:

 I just feel that the Wolfpack should have made more of an effort to scout BC and Ontario high school RU and Canadian University RU from League 1 times and I hope Ottawa don’t make the same mistake. I honestly believe you could find guys at this level who really want the chance for a pro career who could be Championship standard in a couple of years if given the right coaching, some even Super League standard, however this will cost $$$ and I’m not sure that either the Wolfpack orOttawa is committed to that kind of spend.

Welcome onboard.  And yes they probably should but they should be incentivised by minimum quotas for home grown players.  

This is the exact kind of thing a club who have to find talent would do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jayme2020 said:

Part of the issue in Vancouver has no outdoor stadium that is really big there only big stadium in BC Place and it would make more sense for both Ottawa and Toronto to play a couple games out of Rogers Centre in Toronto.

What about Westhills where Pacific FC play? On the island but a good size outdoor stadium  

image.thumb.jpeg.e48d6890e0b45b4d0dbcb326941ee5cc.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Michael1812 said:

What about Westhills where Pacific FC play? On the island but a good size outdoor stadium  

image.thumb.jpeg.e48d6890e0b45b4d0dbcb326941ee5cc.jpeg

Look who's head office is next door ?

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Canadian+Rugby+Union/@48.4431365,-123.5245943,288m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x548f7481f9a61fdf:0xbd92c4a35f6a4555!8m2!3d48.4425355!4d-123.5248648

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Celt said:

yes, that is probably it. They are named after a speedway team in Manchester no doubt.

Don't knock it, the stadium up until the 60s could squeeze in 40,000 and hit that mark regularly, with regulations it was reduced to 25,000 and I've been in a full house many a time for speedway & stock cars. Regular meetings during the 70s would pull upwards of 10,000, far in excess of what any RL club or the game as a whole could achieve in that period. Speedway might be on it's death bed over here at present but when it was at it's zenith, post war and the 70s there was only football that could achieve better attendences. Wembley used to run their league matches on Thursday nights with the crowd restricted to 80,000 and regularly put up house full signs for London derbies with West Ham (capacity 120,000, ave att 65,000) etc. post war.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hxrlfc3 said:

This new Canadian team is  a real mistake by the rl. This further goes to hurt championship and league one clubs from any promotion due to ottawa being heavily financed. What's the bet come June when Toronto still bottom the rl cancels relegation. Imagine having 2 Canadian teams in the championship. I think I've had it with rugby league now. Complete joke and attendances nose diving. Football only for me now.

Attendances aren’t nose diving. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hxrlfc3 said:

This new Canadian team is  a real mistake by the rl. This further goes to hurt championship and league one clubs from any promotion due to ottawa being heavily financed. What's the bet come June when Toronto still bottom the rl cancels relegation. Imagine having 2 Canadian teams in the championship. I think I've had it with rugby league now. Complete joke and attendances nose diving. Football only for me now.

Having 2 Canadian teams in the Championship would bring even more attention to the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/03/2020 at 21:07, Eddie said:

Yes definitely (and in fact I think all the modern suffixes are garbage), but if they have to have one they could do a lot better than Aces. 

The opposition fans will be able to update their chant to "Ottawa Ace of money."

  • Haha 2

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Jayme2020 said:

It could work work but the other issue would UK teams mind a longer flight Uk to Toronto is 7 hours in Vancouver its 9 hours.

All very hypothetical, and I've never seen anybody at the Wolfpack ever talk about it... but for a couple of early season games (rather than a whole season) I wouldn't think those extra couple of hours would be insurmountable... (but then this is rugby league...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, mrfranco said:

All very hypothetical, and I've never seen anybody at the Wolfpack ever talk about it... but for a couple of early season games (rather than a whole season) I wouldn't think those extra couple of hours would be insurmountable... (but then this is rugby league...)

I am not saying its not possible it could work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jayme2020 said:

I am not saying its not possible it could work.

It's 9.5 hrs which in itself is doable even if you include 3 hours airport time either side of the flight. However, teams would 1st have to fly or get the train down to London from Leeds or Manchester. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheReaper said:

 

But they don't own the stadium, the city does, and they won't turn their noses up at anyone's money.

Edited by TIWIT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hxrlfc3 said:

This new Canadian team is  a real mistake by the rl. This further goes to hurt championship and league one clubs from any promotion due to ottawa being heavily financed. What's the bet come June when Toronto still bottom the rl cancels relegation. Imagine having 2 Canadian teams in the championship. I think I've had it with rugby league now. Complete joke and attendances nose diving. Football only for me now.

Well, bye bye. Sorry to see you go. Your contribution here has been ever so valuable and will be much missed I'm sure.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

But they don't own the stadium, the city does, and they won't turn their noses up at anyone's money.

I was more just laughing at the irony.

Imagine the hysteria on here over the hydro pole though ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...