Sign in to follow this  

Had a look online and Google just brings up copious amounts of R0-0’s between Old Bellendian 5ths v Old Poshtoffington’s 3rds and the Union like. But when was the last 0-0 in Rugby League at professional level over here?

4 January 1930       3rd Test Match                          Gt.Britain  0  -  0   Australia

(The only scoreless Test Match)

18 March 1964        Challenge Cup 3rd round          Swinton  0  -  0  Widnes

Edited by RL does what Sky says

Only time in Australia it happened was in 1982 between Canterbury and Newtown before that it was 1-0 in 1973 between St.George and Newtown.

Since 1895 Oldham have been involved in twenty-five 0-0 draws. However, although more frequent prior to World War 2 - and apart from two abandoned games due to weather conditions when there had been no score - it is now over 70 years since Oldham's last scoreless game in 1949.

Halifax 0-0 Hull in the semi final of the Challenge Cup in 1988.  That is the last scoreless game I can remember.

The lowest scoring game that I have attended is Bradford 2-2 Cas on 1 Jan  1985.  It was so cold that even Captain Oates was heard to have remarked at half-time ‘I am just popping out and may be some time’.

8 hours ago, Number 16 said:

Did not a Workington / Whitehaven Derby finish pointless about thirty years ago? 

It did. I was there. Tremendous match.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

It did. I was there. Tremendous match.

It was a great game. Haven had a try disallowed in the last minute for a forward pass that looked marginal at best. Shame that.

• Haha 2

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Just now, Derwent said:

It was a great game. Haven had a try disallowed in the last minute for a forward pass that looked marginal at best. Shame that.

Aye, I remember that. I think the TJ wanted to keep it 0-0 at that point.

Workington missed two kicks? Or just one?

In keeping with the 'zero' element, it's also one of only a couple of games where there was an admission but I didn't have to pay. We were guests, via the club chaplin, of the Whitehaven board.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Since 1895 Oldham have been involved in twenty-five 0-0 draws. However, although more frequent prior to World War 2 - and apart from two abandoned games due to weather conditions when there had been no score - it is now over 70 years since Oldham's last scoreless game in 1949.

Just had a look at the scores of Wigans matches at the time of the split from RU. What's remarkable is just how low scoring the games in the early days of the Northern Union were. 

As an example, Wigans first dozen games in the 1895/96 season: 
Broughton R. (a)    9-0
Liversage  (a)         3-0
Wakefield T. (a)    9-13
Tyldesley  (h)          0-0
Widnes  (h)             3-0
Bradford  (h)           0-0
Brighouse R.  (a)    3-3
Manningham  (a)   0-5 
Rochdale H. (a)      0-0
Warrington (h)        9-0
Runcorn (h)             0-0
St Helens (a)           0-0

Five scoreless draws in the first 3 months of the season. An average of just under 5 points a game - & that's including the Wakefield 'points fest' of 9-13. 

• Thanks 2

In December 1974, Salford and Warrington drew 0-0 in the BBC Floodlit Trophy final at The Willows. The replay took place at Warrington a month or so later, and, as is customary when Salford visit Warrington, Salford won.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Remember it well , scoreless but it was still a gripping game . Much more disappointing was the Easter game . We couldn’t get over them that year but still won the league

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Aye, I remember that. I think the TJ wanted to keep it 0-0 at that point.

Workington missed two kicks? Or just one?

In keeping with the 'zero' element, it's also one of only a couple of games where there was an admission but I didn't have to pay. We were guests, via the club chaplin, of the Whitehaven board.

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Old Faithful we never lose at Wembley

15 hours ago, Cake Tiger said:

My dad randomly took me to a Hull v Halifax Challenge Cup semi final in the 80s which finished 0-0. Looking it up online, it was in 1988.

We were both desperately trying to avoid getting hammered by Wigan at Wembley.

Old Faithful we never lose at Wembley

8 hours ago, Derwent said:

Nah, was a mile forward...... Ha ha. 

Leigh drew 1-1 with Warrington in 82 in the Premiership rd 1 game. Replay played at Central Park due to a fire at Wilderspool ?

Warrington won I think 10-9.

16 hours ago, dkw said:

Nah, was a mile forward...... Ha ha. 

I think I was about in-line with the corner flag, or even past it where the non-try was scored - my dad had a habit of always making for the exit about a minute or 2 before the end of a game. Was the Whitehaven winger Peter Dover? 

Floodlights cup final, Salford 0 (not for the last time) Warrington 0

Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

Just now, Bleep1673 said:

Floodlights cup final, Salford 0 (not for the last time) Warrington 0

Salford won the replay at Wilderspool

Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

3 hours ago, shaun mc said:

I think I was about in-line with the corner flag, or even past it where the non-try was scored - my dad had a habit of always making for the exit about a minute or 2 before the end of a game. Was the Whitehaven winger Peter Dover? 

Yes it was Peter Dover, a Flimby lad.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

5 hours ago, shaun mc said:

When he crossed the line to score a try was he known as "Dive" Dover ? ?

8 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

Leigh drew 1-1 with Warrington in 82 in the Premiership rd 1 game. Replay played at Central Park due to a fire at Wilderspool ?

Warrington won I think 10-9.

In the first game the scorers were Donlan for Leigh and Eccles for Wire, 8060 at Hilton Park and the ref was everyone's 'favourite', Billy Thompson. That's right about the replay ( Leigh: try Donlan, goals Woods (3); Wire: tries Bevan, Fellows, goals Hesford 1 + 2dg.) gate 6176, same ref. Rothmans doesn't mention the fire which was around that time.