Mumby Magic

Thugs, Nutjobs and Hardmen XIII

3 hours ago, Eagle Warrior said:

Two players mentioned on this thread clashed at Hull KR v Wigan. Bill Ashurst kicked through and appeared to be taken down by Frank Foster but the referee, a Mr Eric Clay indicated Ashurst had dived and just restarted play with a 25 tap. As a result of this clumsy dive he lost 4 teeth and had 18 stitches inserted in his mouth. Tough times indeed!

Eric Clay - a very wise man -  he was probably worried for his own health if he had to tell Frank Foster he was sent off !

9 hours ago, plug said:

Brendan tuta in his playing days his nick name was the baby assasin

The baby-faced Assasin! But yeah he should be in it. ?

There is a difference between the first two categories (thugs and nutjobs) and the third (hardmen).

A player could still be a hardman without resorting to thuggery.

One such person was former Leigh, Oldham, Swinton and Wigan player of the 1960s/70s, Peter Smethurst. A butcher by trade and who began as a centre before transfering into the pack (he was loose-forward in Leigh's 1971 Challenge Cup winning side). Peter regularly used to rise from a heavy tackle with a grin on his face but would never immediately react to anything untoward which might have happened to him in a tackle. Yet everyone knew from that moment that one of the opposition would be looking over his shoulder just wondering when, where and how payback time was to come. But,when it did come, it again wouldn't be an outright act of viciousness but as a "proper" tackle.

Edited by RL does what Sky says
  • Like 2

My Wire team from the players I’ve watched

Lee Penny 

Des Drummond 

Paul Cullen 

Toa Kobe Love

Phil Ford

Nigel Vagana

Nat Wood

Les Boyd 

Carl Webb

Kevin Tamati 

Alan Rathbone

Brenda Tuuta

Ben Westwood 

Subs

Mike Nicholas

Adrian Morley

Gary Tees

Paul Bishop/ Andy Gregory

Ian Bell, a centre for Barrow but was from the Hull clan. Was seen in a nightclub eating a pint glass. Great player on the pitch.

• Haha 2

Les “Bundy” Davidson

Peter Kelly

David “Cement” Gillespie

Trevor “The Axe” Gillmiester

Paul Gallen

Edited by Allora

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Interesting to see Des Drummond get a few mentions. I never saw any fights with him in, but he used to crash tackle forwards with gusto, was hilarious seeing the look on the forwards face when they managed to get up. But I realised how tough he was when he played for town in an away match at Huddersfield. There was an all in scrap, fights breaking out everywhere. An Huddersfield prop ran at dessie who took a martial arts fighting stance, the prop stopped, shook his head, turned round and went looking for less scary prey ?

13 hours ago, langpark said:

Good point, it's tough one, because not all of these players are 'all of the above'.  For example, Ryan Bailey, in my opinion, was a thug and a nutjob, but not a hardman.  While someone like, Shane Webcke was a hardman, but not a thug nutjob!

It was funny to see the way he backed down against Lee Radford.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It was funny to see the way he backed down against Lee Radford.

Bailey's face was a picture. If ever a bloke realised he'd picked on the wrong man.

• Like 1

Old Faithful we never lose at Wembley

13 hours ago, fatboystu said:

I'd only ever describe Ryan Bailey as a cheap shot, 3rd man, ****house.

Started plenty of fisticuffs which usually ended with him hiding behind Peacock.

• Like 1

If you’re talking about hard , then instances like Alan Prescott playing with a broken arm and Big Sam with a smashed face deserve a mention and big respect 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DavidM said:

then instances like Alan Prescott playing with a broken arm

Probably the bravest thing ever witnessed on a RL field, he played for 76 minutes with that arm broken laying limp by his side, being Captain he refused to leave the field after teammate's had to with their injuries.

That action is the epitome of being hard.

9 hours ago, bar red said:

Ian Bell, a centre for Barrow but was from the Hull clan. Was seen in a nightclub eating a pint glass. Great player on the pitch.

One of those "He could have been as good as he wants"  players. Only saw him play once for Hull's first team but he was fast and built like one of those proverbial sh*thouses.

Last I heard about him was only a few months ago...

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/police-hunt-wanted-hull-man-3174598

RADFORD OUT!

23 minutes ago, DavidM said:

If you’re talking about hard , then instances like Alan Prescott playing with a broken arm and Big Sam with a smashed face deserve a mention and big respect 

John Sattler & Paul “one ball”Wood fall into that esteemed category 

• Like 2

Another very hard man was the Leigh Fullback Mick Hogan not for punching anyone or getting into fights - but for his total disrespect for his own safety when defending, only being about 5'-10" and weighing never more than 11.5 stone he played for 12 years making 296 appearances, it didn't matter how big any attacker was he seldomly missed any one on one, such was his tackling technique he got concussed on quite a number of occasions and was stretchered from the field, later in life and he became quite ill for a number of years and sadly left us in his mid fifties, but for those who saw him, he leaves some wonderful memories.

Steve Breheny, former Wigan prop, was an absolute lunatic.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

2 hours ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

Played 5 a side football against Paul and had the misfortune of colliding with him.

It was like hitting a wall.

I think that's what Phil Hogan felt like when he tried to stop Woodsy in full flight in the BBC2 Floodlit Final. Looked like he'd been hit by a bus when Rovers' physio Cliff Wallis eventually helped him off the field.

Old Faithful we never lose at Wembley

3 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

One of those "He could have been as good as he wants"  players. Only saw him play once for Hull's first team but he was fast and built like one of those proverbial sh*thouses.

Last I heard about him was only a few months ago...

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/police-hunt-wanted-hull-man-3174598

Hardly think that's fair advertising the blokes business on a forum.