• Workington
    • Doncaster
    • Keighley
    • Hunslet
    • Rochdale

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They had an exciting opportunity to play their way into SL but no-one from France turned up. Are the French going to turn up for SL home games? Its a big stadium to create an atmosphere in, gonna need 10k plus week in week out at home then French broadcasters might take notice if cats are achieving similar figures. If its 1k to 3k we are flogging a dead horse in exactly the same vein as London, they can keep the away fans happy and enjoying the trip, thats a big plus.  

2 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

They had an exciting opportunity to play their way into SL but no-one from France turned up. Are the French going to turn up for SL home games? Its a big stadium to create an atmosphere in, gonna need 10k plus week in week out at home then French broadcasters might take notice if cats are achieving similar figures. If its 1k to 3k we are flogging a dead horse in exactly the same vein as London, they can keep the away fans happy and enjoying the trip, thats a big plus.  

Yep, they more than quadrupled attendances at Catalans.

On 05/11/2020 at 22:33, yipyee said:

Welsh RU seem to be ok after mergers

Catalan seem to be ok with mergers and a feeder team..

Hull and Huddersfield have both won trophys after mergers

But hey ho keep on trolling if it makes you feel better about life

they do not attract the sorts of crowds they should be and at leas2 two of the mergers are not really mergers Cardiff Blues are not that well supported up the Valleys past Pontypridd and people rather watch normal club rugby. They are not well supported from these areas because they have the name Cardiff in their title.  The same goes for Newport Gwent Dragons the name Newport in the title puts lots of people off following them. the team that has adjusted well to the merger was the Ospreys who dropped the name Swansea and Neath from their title but again poor crowds.  If you where to ask the general public I'm sure they would want to go back to as it was before regions were introduced.

2 minutes ago, stevevalerugby said:

they do not attract the sorts of crowds they should be and at leas2 two of the mergers are not really mergers Cardiff Blues are not that well supported up the Valleys past Pontypridd and people rather watch normal club rugby. They are not well supported from these areas because they have the name Cardiff in their title.  The same goes for Newport Gwent Dragons the name Newport in the title puts lots of people off following them. the team that has adjusted well to the merger was the Ospreys who dropped the name Swansea and Neath from their title but again poor crowds.  If you where to ask the general public I'm sure they would want to go back to as it was before regions were introduced.

They may want to, but the truth is they'd just keep Cardiff, Llanelli, Swansea and Newport in the professional league, as no other clubs could come close to affording it (even the chosen 4 struggle to afford it). The old world of local clubs vs local clubs is dead and buried.

4 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

That guy who does NOT have a conflict of interest could do it.

Seems bizarre that he can give a contract to the head coach and apply for Super League while his other club remain quietly in The Championship. 

Certainly no other sport like it... 

Sawyer has specifically said that Dewsbury are a community Championship club with no designs for SL

35 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

They may want to, but the truth is they'd just keep Cardiff, Llanelli, Swansea and Newport in the professional league, as no other clubs could come close to affording it (even the chosen 4 struggle to afford it). The old world of local clubs vs local clubs is dead and buried.

If they went back to  'Boot money ' and tribalism it could work - just like up here......

1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

No thank you!

We don't have a ground, a credible ownership structure, finances, adequate playing squad etc etc. 

Obviously we Bulls fans want to be in SL again one day. But we are nowhere near ready right now.

Ground - agree. Sawyer is credible at running Dewsbury sustainably, Nigel seems to have kept his head down. Finances - we’re stable now with no stadium costs. We haven’t had to access the government loan. And we seem to be able to run an approx £500k squad spend on £300k of tv money plus ticket and sponsor income without any issues. The squad would be the issue. But I would think Kear would be able to give us a fighting chance. 

I’ve no idea on the criteria that SL will go for. But they need cash. So it wouldn’t surprise me if they increase the weighting for potential numbers of away fans as one of the criteria 

I think this thread, and others, show that not everyone can be in Super League and whatever is decided will leave people very unhappy. Some people on here knock Super League with names like Super Dooper League etc but the same posters are desperate to get there. Ultimately there are only 12 spots available, though I would much prefer 14, and not everyone can be in Super League. Even at 14, if Fev and Leigh were in Super League for example, that leaves a poorer Championship and say Widnes, Halifax and Bradford behind. As such some will always be unhappy.

I think the Championship can be a strong, vibrant competition in its own right and to me that is the answer. There are some great, historic clubs. People talk about all these teams being in Super League to have these local derbies, why cant this happen in the Championship? The answer cant be to weaken Super League to have more money in the Championship as some want, that is what drives the money in the game that benefits everyone and that can't be diminished to fund the Championship. If the Championship can't get a TV deal then Super League funding to the Championship should be shared equally at say £150,000 each. There is no reason every club cant be sustainable and viable with that funding and it is what some currently get. More equal funding should result in a more equal, competitive competition too. If clubs want to spend more than so be it but they shouldn't be funded to be full time.

I have every sympathy with the fans from some Championship clubs when it comes to p&r. I'm not sure if I agree but if it is the way that some feel when they talk about walking away then so be it. If we are to have it though it should be a no brainer that promoted clubs get equal funding. There should also be a bond given in the event of subsequent relegation so only the clubs that can genuinely afford to go up and then deal with the subsequent risks do so.

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Nah, the best players would play in England, Ireland or France because the world has moved on. 

Totally agree but those less than the best might prefer to stay in in Wales. They stay with their Town team and their roots.

We have exactly the same up here. A more than decent  RL player can get 150 quid for a win  and train part time whilst keeping his job, RU in the North by the way paying more than RL. ( maybe they recognise our skill sets ).....  and tax free.....

9 hours ago, winnyason said:

Got a fox sports subscription chump that plays superleague.  Every one on australia and New Zealand. Does don't give me this pays ###### you snowflake its reality superleague is a basket case, the australian test coach noted twp was most important development in code in last 30 years. 

Any chance you can change this post to English so everyone on here can understand what you are babbling on about? 🤔🤣🤣

Think the day the UK follow a not very important country, that's not really on anyones radar that's based on the other side of the world is a sad day.

The NRL is maxed out as far as money and sponsorship goes - SL is just behind but only capitalised on about 20% of its potential. Should have kept TWP in SL though.

16 minutes ago, Damien said:

I think this thread, and others, show that not everyone can be in Super League and whatever is decided will leave people very unhappy. Some people on here knock Super League with names like Super Dooper League etc but the same posters are desperate to get there. Ultimately there are only 12 spots available, though I would much prefer 14, and not everyone can be in Super League. Even at 14, if Fev and Leigh were in Super League for example, that leaves a poorer Championship and say Widnes, Halifax and Bradford behind. As such some will always be unhappy.

I think the Championship can be a strong, vibrant competition in its own right and to me that is the answer. There are some great, historic clubs. People talk about all these teams being in Super League to have these local derbies, why cant this happen in the Championship? The answer cant be to weaken Super League to have more money in the Championship as some want, that is what drives the money in the game that benefits everyone and that can't be diminished to fund the Championship. If the Championship can't get a TV deal then Super League funding to the Championship should be shared equally at say £150,000 each. There is no reason every club cant be sustainable and viable with that funding and it is what some currently get. More equal funding should result in a more equal, competitive competition too. If clubs want to spend more than so be it but they shouldn't be funded to be full time.

I have every sympathy with the fans from some Championship clubs when it comes to p&r. I'm not sure if I agree but if it is the way that some feel when they talk about walking away then so be it. If we are to have it though it should be a no brainer that promoted clubs get equal funding. There should also be a bond given in the event of subsequent relegation so only the clubs that can genuinely afford to go up and then deal with the subsequent risks do so.

Do you not think that it is time for the non SL clubs to seize the day before it is forced upon them?

I have no idea where they will end up with limited or even non central funding. Maybe they  should have a new  brand new route

But at the moment  ,but only if they had   total Community support ,they  could still control the RL Council

4 minutes ago, del capo said:

Do you not think that it is time for the non SL clubs to seize the day before it is forced upon them?

I have no idea where they will end up with limited or even non central funding. Maybe they  should have a new  brand new route

But at the moment  ,but only if they had   total Community support ,they  could still control the RL Council

Now that SL have split from the RFL, I would assume they can only sell the SL tv/streaming rights? Can the championship now sell their own rights? Can anyone confirm?

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

Yes we know EVERYBODY can't be IN SL , but EVERYBODY can have the chance to be IN SL 

Not sure what people are moaning for this is a great chance for a championship team to step up to Super League. Obviously that team will have to have financial plans in place and a solid base along with guarentees from the people in charge. Along with all that they will have to accept less than normal funding, give each team a 10 point start in their games, only sign players beginning with the letter V and finally let the opposition eat all the Pappa johns after each game.

Maybe everyone should be in Super League, that's whats going massively wrong. If Leeds don't want to play Hunslet, they can send their B team. But if Hunslet are fulfilling their fixtures then they are golden. Sky don't have to show it if there's no interest, with a 36 team League, plenty of other tastier fixtures to prioritise for telly each week. Minute a Club goes bust or makes ###### excuses for not completing a fixture they are shown the door. League keeps the broadcasting dosh, pays the players direct out of it, Clubs can't be trusted with large sums of cash, that's obvious. So each player on the register with a Club gets a monthly base payment and then an appearance fee and a win bonus on top. 

On 06/11/2020 at 23:03, Trojan said:

And what do Toulouse or London offer that is new?  Oh! I know, no crowds.  When I went to Toulouse in 2017 the crowd was pathetic as was the organisation in the stadium.  To describe the crowd at London like that in the same season would be overstating the case.  Face it.  As things stand at the moment Rugby League needs to concentrate on the areas where it is strongest.  Not just for crowds or media attention, for survival.  The amateur game is dying.  And young lads who have no local heroes to emulate will gravitate to another sport.  I already reckon that Union are picking up a  lot of the talent that used to gravitate to RL.  I'd like to bet if their clubs hear the rumour of a half decent player they're after him like a rat up a drainpipe.  There was a thread on here the other day regretting the lack of black lads playing at pro level.  I reckon what soccer aren't picking up, in that area Union are.  Toronto was a stupid idea IMO.  If they want RL in North America let them start a league.  

I agreed with Catalans coming into SL because I thought it would stimulate interest and revive the French game.  It doesn't really seem to have worked, otherwise why agitate for Toulouse also in SL?

New fans for starters

Archived