Famous number 11s

11 is quite a specific number - as both the 11 and 12 shirt will have been worn by second rowers and so are interchangeable.

I would say the following are among the highest regarded second rowers from Britain (I am sure others will have more).

Denis Betts

Gareth Ellis

Andy Farrell

Trevor Foster

Ray French

Andy Goodway

Mike Gregory

Dick Huddart

Phil Lowe

Vince Karalius

Derek Turner

Johnny Whiteley

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

11 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Well, I was going to say Paul Sironen, then your post specifies British... so I don’t know.

Still, Siro was a bloody legend.

The great thing is, if people hold long enough memories, you will get nominations of both Props and Second Rowers.

Well you liked Mr Sironen but I know one person who didn't.

16 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Well you liked Mr Sironen but I know one person who didn't.

An absolutely shocking tackle by McDermott just after the 1st minute. He only got a 2 game ban too which allowed him to be available for international selection.

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

An absolutely shocking tackle by McDermott just after the 1st minute. He only got a 2 game ban too which allowed him to be available for international selection.

I'm surprised by the lack of reaction . Thought it would have triggered a brawl at least. 

On Sironen he was a great forward and I used to love seeing him play when the Aussies toured. For me he was perhaps the first modern day second row and became the blueprint for those to follow. Big, strong, fast and really athletic. He was a great player. 

19 minutes ago, Damien said:

On Sironen he was a great forward and I used to love seeing him play when the Aussies toured. For me he was perhaps the first modern day second row and became the blueprint for those to follow. Big, strong, fast and really athletic. He was a great player. 

His sons are pretty decent players too.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Gerraway... Sironen was just winded!

Can't remember exactly, but I'm sure Les Boyd got a year, or 18 months off for something very similar. 

Roy Evans of Wigan.  He scored the memorable try in Wigan's '64-65 Challenge Cup, 2nd round defeat of the Saints at Central Park by 7 points to 2.  I was there!

Incidentally, and as a complete aside, did you know that in that same round Widnes and Workington played for 160 minutes without scoring a try between them?  2-2 at Widnes, 2-0 to Workington in the replay.

This question brings an interesting point - numbering of the pack used to have the loose forward at 8, second row at 9 and 10, props 11 and 13 and the hooker 12. Watching games from Australia from the 80s shows this numbering system still in place - not sure what the convention was here though

When I played, I wore 11 which means I fulfil at least part of the 'most well known/regarded British Rugby League players (from any era) who have worn the number 11 shirt' criteria. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, nkpom said:

This question brings an interesting point - numbering of the pack used to have the loose forward at 8, second row at 9 and 10, props 11 and 13 and the hooker 12. Watching games from Australia from the 80s shows this numbering system still in place - not sure what the convention was here though

Yes.  Not sure when it changed.  I well remember them with the loose forward at 8.  They clearly followed numbers from the 'back' to the 'forward'.  My memory may be wrong but did they also persisted with the phrase 'lock' from Union as the loose forward? But for them that was second rows.  Maybe that was part off it (?).

All of which begs a question as to when League changed the ordering of numbers (or was it Union).  It is funny though, it always seem natural to see a fly half in a 10 and a stand off in 6.

Archived