Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

The Commonwealth Games is in July/August and, frankly, if anyone gave a monkey's about it it'll be long forgotten by the time of the RLWC.

IF the Games are in summer & Aussies & Kiwi's send teams its going to be hard for NRL to play the same game again.

• Like 1

The World Cup final would have to be Saturday November 20th 2022 which would mean a start of Saturday October 15th. That means we would have to have the 2022 NRL and SL GFs at the end of September and no warm up games (or one bare minimum).

5 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The World Cup final would have to be Saturday November 20th 2022 which would mean a start of Saturday October 15th. That means we would have to have the 2022 NRL and SL GFs at the end of September and no warm up games (or one bare minimum).

Let’s see how much the leagues value the World Cup now. No schedule is published yet for next year. Hopefully all will be taken into account including mid season tests. If we are to postpone. Let’s do it properly

Just now, Spidey said:

Let’s see how much the leagues value the World Cup now. No schedule is published yet for next year. Hopefully all will be taken into account including mid season tests. If we are to postpone. Let’s do it properly

Are you holding your breath?

Well no surprise, and probably the sensible decision for the organisers to make, but I’m gutted nonetheless. I’d like the see the NRL confirm they’ll be coming next year, as I can see this happening again next summer. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Derwent said:

Not a popular view on here but commercially a rescheduled competition makes much more sense than a watered down one this year. 

There won’t be a competition next year 

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

People will ask for a refund, they´ll probably be entitled to one. No government funding will be available next year and dutton will be long gone before a 2022 tournament takes place. 

Read Ian Laybourn (who once posted as as Paley in this parish) in the Independent - his article best read through the twitter link

- The Government has agreed to the postponement for 12 months is still backing the compa and John Dutton is going nowhere

• Thanks 1

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

1 hour ago, Toby Chopra said:

It's your money so you've every right to do as you wish. But I hope if people do decide to ask for refunds it's for genuine financial reasons and not some misguided attempt at revenge on the Aussies.

Sinking our own World Cup on purpose is the quickest route to giving the NRL everything it wants. 

No attempt at revenge, just would rather have the money in my pocket if it’s over a year away.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

The Independent has more.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-league/world-cup-2021-postponed-b1896103.html

Emergency RLWC board meeting tomorrow and press conference on Thursday morning with Dutton.

Says the government has backed a postponement. 

Officials will have to start fresh negotiations with the BBC, who were due to show all 61 matches across the men’s, women’s and wheelchair events, as well as with stadium and camp hosts.”

Bit worrying, hopefully BBC will still be on board for the same number of matches next year.

Just now, The One said:

No attempt at revenge, just would rather have the money in my pocket if it’s over a year away.

Venues for some of the games at least will have to be changed, no doubt.   It's not necessarily going to be a goer just plonking the same programme into the calendar 52 weeks on.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

On 22/07/2021 at 10:07, DiddyDave said:

Exactly mate, I said it on here a few days ago, nobody in their right mind would be wanting to head to Borisland in three months or so. Vaccinated or not, there`s no way anybody will be guaranteed to be safe from the virus and having to quarantine for two whole weeks on return is the final straw, sad as this decision is for the comp. Certainly boarding the plane for the 24 hour trip after a relentlessly hard season would be another factor most players wouldn`t be too keen on. Oh well, England will have a great chance of bettering their runner up spot from the last World Cup with having nowt to beat.

Didn't stop a group of blokes getting on an aircraft carrier for six weeks in 1946 and going to Australia, All of whom held down a job as well as playing rugby league.

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

This is pathetic low move... NRL hang your head in shame. Hope this can unite all Rugby League Supporters in England and finally stick it it to Australia and win the world cup. 

If we want a positive angle to focus on in all this misery, just imagine the scenes if we did beat Australia in the final next year after all this!

4 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Or Australia is still in lock down..

With the ''strategy'' they are operating now, they'll be in lockdown for a decade.

This postponement is utter capitulation, no doubt, but the NRL/ARLC have got a gun to John Dutton's head.

They've made him ''an offer he can't refuse''. He must be sick to his stomach with them.

I wonder whether we'll see him in the game, beyond this Summer?

I can just imagine them grinning and gloating, ''It's not personal Johnny boy, it's just business, you know how it is''.

''Now sign here, and get out''.

So they've won then, but I hope we (collectively) make every effort to ensure this can never happen again.

It's one thing to lose the tournament, but the fact that they stabbed us in the back at our most vulnerable and our most needy moment, is utterly unconscionable.

The horror and despair I feel at this profound act of betrayal is hard to put into words.

I will certainly never forget what they've done and won't be able to find any peace, while this rat is in the house. 

• Like 14

1 hour ago, The One said:

Officials will have to start fresh negotiations with the BBC, who were due to show all 61 matches across the men’s, women’s and wheelchair events, as well as with stadium and camp hosts.”

Bit worrying, hopefully BBC will still be on board for the same number of matches next year.

So it looks like what we all feared the BBC has get out clause theirs no way will show 61 games then go into World Cup football, what about the stadiums are they expecting fans to sit on tickets & hotels waiting till at least next year to find out if tickets booked plus hotels are ok ? its a cluster FCK.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Devon Ram said:

So it looks like what we all feared the BBC has get out clause theirs no way will show 61 games then go into World Cup football, what about the stadiums are they expecting fans to sit on tickets & hotels waiting till at least next year to find out if tickets booked plus hotels are ok ? its a cluster FCK.

BBC has been shafted like everyone else. Self serving NRL and their cronies has kicked in the guts everyone who had put so much into this for so long . I wouldn’t believe if they promised to come next year and I wouldn’t be surprised if this WC never happened . This was big in so many ways , especially with the symbolism of emerging from the pandemic . Even the govt realised that . It’s been kyboshed for spurious and self centred reasoning and the saddest part is it didn’t have to and shouldn’t have happened . We bend over backwards for them and they said thanks and kicked us in the ar$e . Utter betrayal of the sport which shouldn’t be forgotten or forgiven 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2