Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

Email just landed

I wanted to contact you personally to thank you for your patience, positivity and incredible support in recent weeks and to update you on the tournament moving forward.

Reluctantly, we have had to take the very difficult decision to move the staging of the tournament to 2022. This follows the disappointing withdrawals of Australia and New Zealand and the subsequent challenges we have consequently faced.

Our vision has always been to deliver the biggest and best ever Rugby League World Cup – and we will still do that in 2022. 

We will work relentlessly to ensure that the tournament and sport of Rugby League has a world class tournament that champions inclusivity with the men’s, women’s and wheelchair competitions being held together for the first time ever at a major sporting event.

We will continue creating positive social change within communities – whether that’s via our multi-million-pound investment in Rugby League facilities or through to our mental fitness charter, which aims to reduce suicide rates in young males.

Rugby League has faced adversity since it was born in 1895, and now is a time for all the stakeholders across the sport to show leadership. The one thing that constantly shines through in Rugby League is relentless resilience.

Fans are the lifeblood of our sport, and it has been heart-warming to see your passion, enthusiasm and how much the growth of international Rugby League means to you all in recent weeks.

I share that passion as a Rugby League fan who has watched my hometown team for more than forty years and has worked on this tournament since 2015.

I believe our tournament will be a transformative moment in the sport’s history. It will be twelve months later than planned, but we will welcome the best athletes to the best stadia across England, with the eyes of the world on our sport.

Now is the time to stand tall, to be proud of Rugby League and to continue to support the tournament.

We can’t wait to welcome you in 2022.

Jon

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Just now, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Email just landed

I wanted to contact you personally to thank you for your patience, positivity and incredible support in recent weeks and to update you on the tournament moving forward.

Reluctantly, we have had to take the very difficult decision to move the staging of the tournament to 2022. This follows the disappointing withdrawals of Australia and New Zealand and the subsequent challenges we have consequently faced.

Our vision has always been to deliver the biggest and best ever Rugby League World Cup – and we will still do that in 2022. 

We will work relentlessly to ensure that the tournament and sport of Rugby League has a world class tournament that champions inclusivity with the men’s, women’s and wheelchair competitions being held together for the first time ever at a major sporting event.

We will continue creating positive social change within communities – whether that’s via our multi-million-pound investment in Rugby League facilities or through to our mental fitness charter, which aims to reduce suicide rates in young males.

Rugby League has faced adversity since it was born in 1895, and now is a time for all the stakeholders across the sport to show leadership. The one thing that constantly shines through in Rugby League is relentless resilience.

Fans are the lifeblood of our sport, and it has been heart-warming to see your passion, enthusiasm and how much the growth of international Rugby League means to you all in recent weeks.

I share that passion as a Rugby League fan who has watched my hometown team for more than forty years and has worked on this tournament since 2015.

I believe our tournament will be a transformative moment in the sport’s history. It will be twelve months later than planned, but we will welcome the best athletes to the best stadia across England, with the eyes of the world on our sport.

Now is the time to stand tall, to be proud of Rugby League and to continue to support the tournament.

We can’t wait to welcome you in 2022.

Jon

Link to website: https://www.rlwc2021.com/article/324/rlwc2021-will-now-be-staged-in-2022?fbclid=IwAR2lyAMlPb4ptPXdtpeY8lhJgPo14aqBckwHFSoKEe84JKFPgae9eSotpUk

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Very disappointing press release. I'd like to have seen a much stronger reference to the damage caused by the way Aus has behaved.  No indication of the whip being cracked. No guarantee that Aus and puppet state NZ have agreed to take part next year.

• Like 1

Extremely disappointing (although not unexpected) news. The game over here at this moment really needed the boost a well run World Cup could have given it.

The selfish attitude and outright disdain for our game shown by those in power down under is something I will not forget.

• Like 1
The%20Warriors%2060.jpg

5 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Very disappointing press release. I'd like to have seen a much stronger reference to the damage caused by the way Aus has behaved.  No indication of the whip being cracked. No guarantee that Aus and puppet state NZ have agreed to take part next year.

That would make us feel better but could create more damage and upset than already exists. It's in our interests to remain positive and show unity publicly, behind the scenes we may well have told them exactly what we feel

• Like 1

I was surprised when listening to LBC this morning that the presenter was aware that as he put it the Rugby League Federations of Australia and New Zealand pulled out due to Covid 19 but the majority of players wanted to play.That is how it should be reported no choice but to postpone.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

That would make us feel better but could create more damage and upset than already exists. It's in our interests to remain positive and show unity publicly, behind the scenes we may well have told them exactly what we feel

Yes, revenge us a dish best served cold. Nevertheless, perfidy should carry immediate retribution.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

I'm sure there will be a time when we can tell them, for now we have to turn this negative to a positive and create ticket sales and momentum into 2022.

Indeed, but must base  the modelling on Aus and NZ defaulting yet again.

• Like 2