Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

It wasn't anything to do with players it was the clubs and the likes of Gus Gould. When he moved to the Warriors he said how it was vital NZ grew, and even mentioned how he also wanted to make sure the international game grows.  Then quickly as he came he jumped back to cosy clubland with the Dogs on the basis that its just too hard to get to NZ.  Full of the proverbial brown stuff.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

This is the kind if pressure that's needed! This is genuinely great to see regardless of the outcome. 

So player welfare as decided by people who aren’t players

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, CiderWire said:

Are the Aussies and NZedders sending their athletes to this years Olympic Games? just a thought.

Yeap and their Union teams are also coming over here in the autumn.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

I can just imagine it..... "Eeey ooop.... We're Scotch!"

Where would this Scottish national team play their home games? Hull KR? Or Whitehaven?

Whatever the format, it sounds like a successful tournament that will pack the crowds in. Kevin Sinfield will really be regretting leaving once your comp gets off the ground. 

Your going on mute mate purely because we´ve seen where waiting for Australia gets us , the alternative is just pack the sport up and die and your also ignorant of the stats as Scotland vs England drew as many viewers on the bbc as Eng vs Australia did in last four nations. Plus I can´t be bothered with the creep of smart ###### comments on this page. Offer an alternative or pipe down. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, LeeF said:

So player welfare as decided by people who aren’t players

It certainly seems that way. Must caveat, which the article doesn't reference but is kind of obvious, these polls were done before the ARLC/NZRL statement and possibly wanted to make clear they would put their hand up for squad selection if required. Would be interesting to see a poll now of players who are still adamant they want to play and therefore the withdrawal explicitly goes against their wishes. Makes a mockery of player welfare if that can be achieved. 

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Honor James said:

Pitiful !  What a bunch of little fluffies a lot of the once proud, fearless ANZCs have become.

My kids and their offspring are all there, one lot in Oz and one in NZ, so I hope their younger generation members don't let their children grow up without a strong, working knowledge of that wise old chestnut "nothing venture nothing gained".

Mind you, it's my belief the real reason for this incredibly inconsiderate, late withdrawal from the World Cup, is that the once proud and much admired Australians (in particular), have for many years thought themselves too important to waste time playing against other nations.

The only use Australian Rugby League had for their multiple, and highly `Rugby League competent' neighbouring island peoples was to tap their wealth of natural talent, to the benefit of Australia's own ARL and NRL clubs.

I guess this is as much about the NRL being peed-off with Britain for encouraging the Pacific island nations to attract their own Oz and NZ, eligible young NRL players, to the idea of representing their own heritage islands instead of bolstering ANZAC teams, as they did for so many years.

And what a joy it has been to watch them blossom!

Tonga, in particular, is now more than able to field a team of its own, eligible, heritage and local nationals which could probably beat Australia more easily than our own England team are ever likely to.

Bad show, bad form. Booo.

Unfortunately I think you'll find that any Tongan players who don't qualify on the basis of Tongan heritage moved to Australia or New Zealand with their families when they were kids and grew up in those countries, not in Tonga.

12 minutes ago, BrisbaneRhino said:

It wasn't anything to do with players it was the clubs and the likes of Gus Gould. When he moved to the Warriors he said how it was vital NZ grew, and even mentioned how he also wanted to make sure the international game grows.  Then quickly as he came he jumped back to cosy clubland with the Dogs on the basis that its just too hard to get to NZ.  Full of the proverbial brown stuff.

I said it on page 8 and i'll say it again... hes a giant windbag and the less we hear from him the better!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Unfortunately I think you'll find that any Tongan players who don't qualify on the basis of Tongan heritage moved to Australia or New Zealand with their families when they were kids and grew up in those countries, not in Tonga.

If they moved from Tonga, to Australia or New Zealand when they were kids, then they're blo ody Tongan !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Not quite true, the NRL clubs are their employers so they must have a say. I would be interested to know how many of them wanted to come though. 

Exactly.  The absence of a strong worldwide governing body managing the international calendar (as in cricket, for example) means that whoever pays the piper calls the tune. (And the NRL clubs pay).

This is why the tournament is not realistically going to go ahead.... If it was up to the players, a load of the Kiwis would swiftly declare (via loopholes etc) for Samoa, or Tonga, or Ireland, or whoever. Instead, we are likely to see all NRL-dependent nations withdraw over the next few days.

This has nothing to do with CoVid risks/player welfare, as is evidenced by the Olympic games participation etc etc.... It is to do with the NRL not wanting it's calendar disrupted. 

The Tournament in my opinion, is toast because of this. It has no real chance of going ahead as the NRL clubs will put pressure on players not to compete, and so more nations will withdraw.

One very slim chance is that Tonga has the Prime Minister in charge, I see. (Due to all the corruption etc around their governing body) Their government might see an opportunity to have a crack at winning it and becoming World Champions. Even then though, I expect mass withdrawals by their big names, so I can't imagine the real Tongan team playing. 

5 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Olympics and Euros are completely different tournaments that have their own challenges and deemed to have overcome them.

Those events proceeding and the measures undertaken to have them proceed will be unique to those tournaments and completely different to the measures required (and the financial ability) for the RLWC.

Lets look at some facts is their a Euros outbreak nope are people getting TXT from Saturdays Challenge Cup Final ? all because protocols where put in place before the games. If the Aussies & Kiwis stick to the set up that's been offered to them they should be ok.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, andyscoot said:

Both played football games in Tokyo today.

And the infection rates in Japan compared with UK are?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

5 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

More I think about it more I think we should just crack on, the group im going to the openng game with agree they aren’t RL fans so don’t really care whos in it

Will there be a opening Game for England ? got tickets for the weekend hotel booked only last week but think Samoa Tonga & PNG will also pull out under pressure from players clubs.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Blind side johnny said:

Tokyo is in an a state of Emergency and Japan is pretty much locked down... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yipyee said:

Is Australia pulling out of the Olympics ?

Are the All blacks and Wallabies moth balling their teams?

Or are the rugby league players soft cowards?!

Read the posts above. The players (most of them, anyway) want to play.

It is the NRL clubs that can't see beyond the end of their noses. Seems to be a common problem in our sport, to be honest. The original GB RWC side in 1954 were a bit of ragtag bunch, due to some clubs being unwilling to release players.

• Like 5

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

1 minute ago, Blind side johnny said:

Not sure how that's relevant, especially to my comment which is just stating a fact that right now, both NZ and Aus have athletes overseas competing.

• Like 2

If the competition were to go ahead without either the Australian or NZ teams would decent crowds turn out to watch the games?

Or is there the danger of it becoming a half-hearted and embarrassing tournament?

This isn't an attempt at negativity, just reality in the face of a relentlessly anti-RL media.

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Just now, RP London said:

Tokyo is in an a state of Emergency and Japan is pretty much locked down... 

That doesn't answer the question. FYI the comparative rates are orders of magnitude different. Japan has locked down; we have thrown open the gates and shouted "stuff it". I can understand some people being just a bit circumspect about visiting the UK at present.

• John Drake changed the title to Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)
  • John Drake locked this topic
  • John Drake unlocked this topic
  • John Drake locked and unlocked this topic