Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

I thought it was Shane Webcke, but I might be wrong.

it was some big tough aussie anyway 

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Yes, it was after 9/11 and they thought that touring the UK might be dangerous if somebody bombed the Eiffel Tower. We need Chairman Mo to go and badger them into committing again.

Well in their defence it would be if it was a nuclear bomb . 

3 hours ago, theswanmcr said:

Interesting… will the RLPA be timid and know where their pay check comes from (as NRLhope) or will they go guns blazing at the appalling lack of consultation? More fun to be had over the coming days!

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Just a quick line from me that calling out the players for this is both wrong and self defeating.

All the quotes I have seen from NRL players about the World Cup is that they are looking forward to it.  Similarly a survey quoted on here said that 75% of players were happy and ready to come. Some wouldn't but that is their choice.

But that choice has been taken away by the ARL and NZRL under pressure from the clubs.  The issue was the competition and the quarantine and how that would impact NRL 2022... the player welfare messaging is an attempt to deflect.  Give them the choice, don't take a potential once in a lifetime experience away from them without consultation. 

The players are as much a victim of this selfish decision as the fans.

3 hours ago, RP London said:

it doesnt matter what the different levels are like because the countries are very much at different stages... its obvious if you want to look at it along with vaccinations and hospitalisations.. but lets not derail and get John getting the delete option back out agian.. its a pointless argument as they are 2 extremely different situations and not only that but where we are today is irrelevant its where we are in 3 months when they actually land that is important.. and we are on track to be more than ok by all the modelling.

3 hours ago, tiffers said:

Is this our opportunity, given the amount of emotion on here alone, to 1) sell more tickets to the home audience that are mostly incensed and want to support NH RL and stick a finger up to the NRL? 2) push this to a wider audience in the UK?

Could we capitalise on all this PR and sell a few more tickets?

Esp. as the general public may get behind an England team with a very good chance of winning it...
I suppose it depends on whether we can prove its still a legitimate product. To sponsors, the media, fans.

3 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Yeah i'm nervous that NRL spin doctors are in the ear of people at the RLPA and we'll end up with a lukewarm 'We're very disappointed.......but understand why the decision has been made' type statement. 

I'm praying it's more robust than that and almost leaves the ARLC with no choice but to reply. We can but hope. 

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

The flimsy holes in the "player welfare" argument are there because this isn't about Player Welfare at all.

This is entirely about players quarantine time being part of their holiday time or NRL clubs' pre season - and that it would regardless be impacting on the latter.

The biggest honour in team sport is to play for your country not a city suburb or state.

Australian and Kiwi officials and players need to be reminded of this

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

In other sports they have a universal ruling body ,but Australians make up their own rules up with no consultation and usually we follow suit . 

If you read Open Rugby's history of Mike Mayer's USRL you'll see that the RFL following the Aussies' lead has been the norm for a long time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Big Picture said:

If you read Open Rugby's history of Mike Mayer's USRL you'll see that the RFL following the Aussies' lead has been the norm for a long time.

Ok I will cheers 

• Like 1

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

let them have origin - lost its lustre- some players who played against each other last week or the week before maybe or played in the same team and now play against each other this week from the same comp- insular and now boring - if the kangaroos are scared to lose just come out and say it 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

let them have origin - lost its lustre- some players who played against each other last week or the week before maybe or played in the same team and now play against each other this week from the same comp- insular and now boring - if the kangaroos are scared to lose just come out and say it 

The Kangaroos HAVE LOST 2 of their last 4 international games. They are not the supermen they think they are

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Future is League said:

The Kangaroos HAVE LOST 2 of their last 4 international games. They are not the supermen they think they are

also looks like they have lost their bottle too, maybe like an ageing heavyweight defending his belt against bums and wont take on the new hope

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

The biggest honour in team sport is to play for your country not a city suburb or state.

Australian and Kiwi officials and players need to be reminded of this

Yes.

Meantime in another world, on BBC2 we have an infantalised version of cricket with made up invented teams. Garish logos garish TV images.  

Loads of people watching, mostly clueless about the teams and what's going on, but they can drink  themselves silly and can enjoy the DJ and now a pop star who I've never heard of who can't sing.  But hey, there is plenty smoke and flashing lights.

Eddie Waring it is not.  It's garbage I assure you.  But surely you can see why we are going backwards  ???   We need to change, change so the aussies cannot do this to us ever again.

Edited by Rupert Prince
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Yes.

Meantime in another world, on BBC2 we have an infantalised version of cricket with made up invented teams. Garish logos garish TV images.  

Loads of people watching, mostly clueless about the teams and what's going on, but they can drink  themselves silly and can enjoy the DJ and now a pop star who I've never heard of who can't sing.  But hey, there is plenty smoke and flashing lights.

Eddie Waring it is not.  It's garbage I assure you.  But surely you can see why we are going backwards  ???   We need to change, change so the aussies cannot do this to us ever again.

Indeed we do. We need to to be more welcoming to teams who want to play in our competitions providing they meet the criteria and that criteria is not being constantly changed 

11 hours ago, Futtocks said:

To be honest, the way things are being handled in this country as regards COVID, I can understand their reluctance. They are coming from countries where a single-figure outbreak is immediately acted upon, while our infection rates are soaring again.

Other sports have and will continue to play on... Why is it okay for us to give in

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Yes.

I don't support The Hundred but this post is wrong on pretty much every level.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

I don't support The Hundred but this post is wrong on pretty much every level.

As a product the game of RL doesn't need to change anything. I believe the game sells itself. SL and the RFL just need to find a way of selling and promoting it better. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Why do you think they have all but turned their back on the international game? As soon as their 'Origin select side' starts getting beat by Tonga and NZ, how can they hold Origin up as the pinnacle of the sport? When people understand how they view and want others to view Origin, their attack on the international game makes perfect sense. 

• Like 6

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

This is just the culmination of years of the Aussies inward attitude. 

The annual "will they, won't they" around the WCC, the refusal to host the Ashes, the undermining of the Denver test and now withdrawing from the marquee RL event. 

Maybe this will be a turning point in RL history. Maybe we will stage it and see that we can stage major events without them and fans get behind it, enjoy it and we move into a new phase in international RL. 

• Like 14

Just now, JM2010 said:

As a product the game of RL doesn't need to change anything. I believe the game sells itself. SL and the RFL just need to find a way of selling and promoting it better. 

Pretty much this.

The ECB invented the Hundred as the result of a bizarre power struggle with their county club members. It's cost a lot of money and is faintly ridiculous. But it's not garbage and it's being watched by people who know what's going on. So 1.6m watched the women's game last night for example.

There's nothing to compare this to in rugby league. We just need to actually play games consistently and in ways that our meaningful. A World Cup - and other international tournaments - are the most effective ways for the game globally to do this. But we have never had a decent run of doing it right.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I think we all agree that International RL needs a strong NH competition and that should be the aim. The major hurdle at the moment is that England are so far in front of everyone else. France, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Jamaica and Nigeria could provide a competitive tournament without the need for NRL players. Give them regular games and support player development in these countries. 

I'm not sure what the plan for England could be without SH teams providing the competition 

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

This is just the culmination of years of the Aussies inward attitude. 

The annual "will they, won't they" around the WCC, the refusal to host the Ashes, the undermining of the Denver test and now withdrawing from the marquee RL event. 

Maybe this will be a turning point in RL history. Maybe we will stage it and see that we can stage major events without them and fans get behind it, enjoy it and we move into a new phase in international RL. 

To add to this - the event I was looking forward to most this winter was the opener vs Samoa at Newcastle. Then some of the women's games to introduce my daughter to the sport. Then giving the wheelchair event a try. 

Then loads of other 'lesser' nations. 

Maybe the Aussies and Kiwis on tv if I wasn't busy. 

Just now, JM2010 said:

I think we all agree that International RL needs a strong NH competition and that should be the aim. The major hurdle at the moment is that England are so far in front of everyone else. France, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Jamaica and Nigeria could provide a competitive tournament without the need for NRL players. Give them regular games and support player development in these countries. 

I'm not sure what the plan for England could be without SH teams providing the competition 

Remember as things stand we still have Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, PNG etc. at the moment. 

9 hours ago, RP London said:

the clue is that it is 3 months away and the modelling is that we probably wont even need secure bubbles by then (they;ll still no doubt do it to be sure but they wont need it).. 

The postponements are around contact tracing not infections (but you know this because you read the news and are on this board).. 1 person = 6 give or take.. come mid august this wont be an issue either when the contact tracing rule goes... 

its really not difficult to see how this is not going to be a problem.

(one caveat being another variant that is vaccine resistent not turning up.. but frankly that caveat could have been placed before anything 2 years ago [and is in insurance documents about natural disasters and force majoure etc] and will always be on peoples minds for the next generation)

Idont claim to know the details behind all the games called off but Rochdale v Workington off because 11 players and three staff in the Rochdale camp tested positive for covid. So that debunks your claim that its all about tracing and not infections. 

And if it was to be all a matter of tracing, as you wrongly suggest, are you thinking we wont bother with tracing at a world cup?  Lets say half the squad of one team are exposed to an infectious person....never mind its the world cup so send them out there and hope for the best.

• John Drake changed the title to Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)
  • John Drake locked this topic
  • John Drake unlocked this topic
  • John Drake locked and unlocked this topic