Jump to content

Channel 9 new NRL deal


Recommended Posts

What do our Aussie posters think about this?  Good?  Bad?  Indifferent?  They seemed to pay the most, but I’ve read a lot in recent years about 9 not pushing rugby league enough.  Especially under the previous Hugh Marks regime.  He’s gone now of course so……?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


14 hours ago, Dallas Mead said:

What do our Aussie posters think about this?  Good?  Bad?  Indifferent?  They seemed to pay the most, but I’ve read a lot in recent years about 9 not pushing rugby league enough.  Especially under the previous Hugh Marks regime.  He’s gone now of course so……?

I think there's a lot of spin coming from 9 owned media. I don't believe this is a better deal than last time. The NRL has once again beaten the AFL in the ratings this year too so they're taking unders.

The production is woeful on 9. I only ever watch the 4 exclusive games a year and even then it was a difficult watch. I won't be switching back.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

new rise.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 is terrible. Sterling was the only competent voice among them and now he’s gone.

Many other greats of the game reside at 9, but they are all woeful in the commentary box. Gus could be so much more, instead he is too busy wallowing in his own sty of self importance, pig that he is.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Dallas Mead said:

What do our Aussie posters think about this?  Good?  Bad?  Indifferent?  They seemed to pay the most, but I’ve read a lot in recent years about 9 not pushing rugby league enough.  Especially under the previous Hugh Marks regime.  He’s gone now of course so……?

If the NRL get everything they want it could be a great deal. I think Nine got a serious fright when Seven threw its` hat into the ring, for a terrifying moment I think they saw themselves without a major winter code to promote their other shows on. As someone said in the paper today, all they would have had is the union, which rated " modestly at best".

Couple of things I`ve heard they`re pushing for: a greater say in the way the game is presented, a mid-week panel show and for Nine and the NRL to work more like partners who both have a long-term vested interest in the health of the code. I heard that the NRL doesn`t want Nine just doing its` own thing. The was talk of more promotion and helping increase participation, the latter I`m not sure how that would work.

Of course there was also the little matter of the NRL wanting $120m per annum.

All reports are that a deal will be done in the next fortnight. If it`s anything like the way they handled the 17th team announcement they will time it to bump the afl of the back page. It was due to be announced on the Friday, the NRL unannounced bought it two days forward to the wednesday, specifically so that the last day of the afls` much hyped trade period was drowned out. As Will Swanton in the Australian said, that had Vlandy`s fingerprints all over it.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

If the NRL get everything they want it could be a great deal. I think Nine got a serious fright when Seven threw its` hat into the ring, for a terrifying moment I think they saw themselves without a major winter code to promote their other shows on. As someone said in the paper today, all they would have had is the union, which rated " modestly at best".

Couple of things I`ve heard they`re pushing for: a greater say in the way the game is presented, a mid-week panel show and for Nine and the NRL to work more like partners who both have a long-term vested interest in the health of the code. I heard that the NRL doesn`t want Nine just doing its` own thing. The was talk of more promotion and helping increase participation, the latter I`m not sure how that would work.

Of course there was also the little matter of the NRL wanting $120m per annum.

All reports are that a deal will be done in the next fortnight. If it`s anything like the way they handled the 17th team announcement they will time it to bump the afl of the back page. It was due to be announced on the Friday, the NRL unannounced bought it two days forward to the wednesday, specifically so that the last day of the afls` much hyped trade period was drowned out. As Will Swanton in the Australian said, that had Vlandy`s fingerprints all over it.

 

Great update mate thanks, fingers crossed the NRL get a bumper deal! $$$$$$$

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Pulga said:

I think there's a lot of spin coming from 9 owned media. I don't believe this is a better deal than last time. The NRL has once again beaten the AFL in the ratings this year too so they're taking unders.

The production is woeful on 9. I only ever watch the 4 exclusive games a year and even then it was a difficult watch. I won't be switching back.

I like the SMH generally but as soon as there is something in there about NRL TV deals you know it's just them speaking to an agenda which suits their corporate masters. Likewise the Telegraph.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Coverage sponsored by Cheesy Peas

and thanks to tissot for the shi-te watch

Edited by graveyard johnny
  • Haha 1

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, The storm said:

Maybe they could drop an extra 20 mullion a year into super league or even better complete global negitiations on our behalf 

How good are the NRL's overseas deals? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

How good are the NRL's overseas deals? 

Well they get £130 a year from me and I bet I'm not the only one. The NRL is the sort of sport that will genuinely get a lot of ex-pat following too (both Aussie and Kiwis). On top of that they get coverage on Sky.

I'm not saying it is massive but the WatchNRL app is a real game changer. Problem is it can't be replicated here as our games are not all broadcast and shown live to take the feed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Well they get £130 a year from me and I bet I'm not the only one. The NRL is the sort of sport that will genuinely get a lot of ex-pat following too (both Aussie and Kiwis). On top of that they get coverage on Sky.

I'm not saying it is massive but the WatchNRL app is a real game changer. Problem is it can't be replicated here as our games are not all broadcast and shown live to take the feed.

You may like Watch NRL, but how many subscribers does it have and does it make money are pretty important questions. Calling it a game changer means it must deliver real benefits surely? 

The conversation was about allowing the NRL to negotiate SL rights - they have never struck me as being particularly impressive negotiators around the world. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

How good are the NRL's overseas deals? 

By overseas you mean here (UK) and NZ? Can’t imagine they’d get much/anything from outside those two.

Given that Sky cuts off the host feed almost as soon as the game is over I’d say they ain’t paying much (you’d think they’d make an exception for the final and show the trophy lift, nope, straight off). It’s bare minimum coverage. Also the couple of games a week are shown on Sky Sports Arena (sometimes Sky Sports Mix) so even in the early morning time slot when nothing else is live it’s down the pecking order. 

Its for this reason I laugh when some Aussies big up folk who run the game in Aus and critique those who do so here. That Gus what’shisname, he wouldn’t have a scooby do here. The conditions couldn’t be more different. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't followed this closely but isn't this rumoured to be a sizeable reduction on the previous contract? And at the same time the financials of the renegotiated deal with Fox remain undisclosed.

  • Like 1

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Dave T said:

You may like Watch NRL, but how many subscribers does it have and does it make money are pretty important questions. Calling it a game changer means it must deliver real benefits surely? 

The conversation was about allowing the NRL to negotiate SL rights - they have never struck me as being particularly impressive negotiators around the world. 

I am a customer and for me it is a game changer. Watch it anywhere in an country. Download, delay all the shows etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I am a customer and for me it is a game changer. Watch it anywhere in an country. Download, delay all the shows etc.

I get that, but the discussion was rather around TV rights and negotiation rather than a quality app for niche pots of customers around the world. 

It'd be interesting to know whether the commercials stack up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...