Sat 9th-Sun 10th Apr: The Betfred League One Match Thread

Discuss this weekend's Betfred League One games here.

SATURDAY 9th APRIL
London Skolars v North Wales Crusaders    15:00

SUNDAY 10th APRIL
Cornwall v Midlands Hurricanes    13:00 (OuRLeague)
Doncaster v Swinton Lions    15:00
Oldham v West Wales Raiders    15:00
Rochdale Hornets v Hunslet    15:00

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, John Drake said:

Discuss this weekend's Betfred League One games here.

SATURDAY 9th APRIL
London Skolars v North Wales Crusaders    15:00

SUNDAY 10th APRIL
Cornwall v Midlands Hurricanes    13:00 (OuRLeague)
Doncaster v Swinton Lions    15:00
Oldham v West Wales Raiders    15:00
Rochdale Hornets v Hunslet    15:00

London Skolars 16-42 North Wales Crusaders

Cornwall 18-34 Midlands Hurricanes

Doncaster 24-38 Swinton

Oldham 62-6 West Wales Raiders

Rochdale 16-18 Hunslet

SATURDAY 9th APRIL
London Skolars 12 v 42 North Wales Crusaders   

SUNDAY 10th APRIL
Doncaster 22 v 38 Swinton Lions    
Oldham 56 v 6 West Wales Raiders 
Rochdale Hornets 28 v 24 Hunslet   

Cornwall 16 v 36 Midlands Hurricanes 

Expecting the fitness and experience of the Hurricanes squad to be the deciding factors. Will no doubt be a fantastic event and exciting game and I'm really looking forward to the trip.

2 minutes ago, Yorks Tim said:

Expecting the fitness and experience of the Hurricanes squad to be the deciding factors. Will no doubt be a fantastic event and exciting game and I'm really looking forward to the trip.

Look forward to seeing you! It will be a great day whatever the result.

Of course, I think Cornwall will pip it. The boys showed so much character to 'get up to speed' against the Crusaders, and I'm sure Neil will have them much improved again this Sunday.

Safe travels.

I'm hoping for a good close game in Penryn on Sunday. Would be great for the new supporters. Lots of local media coverage from the weekend just gone. BBC sport and local news are taking interest. 

I have seen Eric Perez and team have been announcing scores of corporate sponsorships and Cornwall Chamber of Commerce and Visit Cornwall (tourist board) are all pumping the interest too. The Chamber announced they have 60 corporate hospitality tickets available in June.

They are generating a lot of noise in the business community locally. Let's hope that turns into long term crowds and a strong home support!

Cru by lots,

Hurricanes by <10,

Swinton by 18,

Yeds by 50

hairnets v hunslet the most interesting of the round with regards gauging the promotion/playoff hopefuls. Hornets late scores flattered against us, and we took hunslet apart relatively easily in the CC. It could be close, but hornets should pip it.

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

On 06/04/2022 at 09:17, Barley Mow said:

London Skolars v North Wales Crusaders
Cornwall v Midlands Hurricanes
Doncaster v Swinton Lions
Oldham v West Wales Raiders
Rochdale Hornets v Hunslet 

Agree.

On 06/04/2022 at 07:42, John Drake said:

London Skolars 16-42 North Wales Crusaders    

SUNDAY 10th APRIL
Cornwall 14-38 Midlands Hurricanes    
Doncaster 18-26 Swinton Lions    
Oldham 70-1 West Wales Raiders    
Rochdale Hornets 22- 18 Hunslet    

I'll miss my first Crusaders game of 2022 as I have a commitment elsewhere but I'll have one eye on the Twitter feed watching the results. Hopefully we can keep our Challenge Cup form and come away from London with another two points and a convincing win.

Men against much smaller men at Skolars. Result was on the cards in warm up when it appeared even Cru's scrum half was as big as our largest player. Cru looked a Championship team and dominated physically throughout. Skolars were plucky but completely outgunned. 

Very tough day for Skolars. North Wales were bigger,stronger, more skilful & vastly more experienced. Even at this early stage they looked very strong top 4/promotion candidates.

Skolars only had 2 players on the pitch who played the majority of last season.Broncos move to part time has completely decimated last years team (Broncos even took the physio 😂) A quick scan of their team sheet had (approximately) 3 players making L1 debut appearances, 3 players making their 2nd L1 appearance and a few more with a very low number of games under their belt at that level.

The lack of experience was clearly evident - Im not sure if Skolars completed a set in the 2nd half. They were not going to win this game, but experience would have helped keep the score down through game management that was non existent at times.

There were positives to take forward. Skolars kept at it, there was not any arguing among the players which was commonplace last year. The new full back looked very good & their main prop was strong carrying & had to play the full 80 (must have had a massive tackle count.)

The season is going to have to be seen as a rebuilding from scratch exercise for a young and inexperienced squad. 

40 minutes ago, Templegreen said:

Very tough day for Skolars. North Wales were bigger,stronger, more skilful & vastly more experienced. Even at this early stage they looked very strong top 4/promotion candidates.

Skolars only had 2 players on the pitch who played the majority of last season.Broncos move to part time has completely decimated last years team (Broncos even took the physio 😂) A quick scan of their team sheet had (approximately) 3 players making L1 debut appearances, 3 players making their 2nd L1 appearance and a few more with a very low number of games under their belt at that level.

The lack of experience was clearly evident - Im not sure if Skolars completed a set in the 2nd half. They were not going to win this game, but experience would have helped keep the score down through game management that was non existent at times.

There were positives to take forward. Skolars kept at it, there was not any arguing among the players which was commonplace last year. The new full back looked very good & their main prop was strong carrying & had to play the full 80 (must have had a massive tackle count.)

The season is going to have to be seen as a rebuilding from scratch exercise for a young and inexperienced squad. 

I really hope it all comes together....although I'm a total Crusaders fan I've always enjoyed my visits to Skolars, particularly the Friday Night Lights. Very best of luck with rebuilding.

15 hours ago, Jeff Stein said:

Men against much smaller men at Skolars. Result was on the cards in warm up when it appeared even Cru's scrum half was as big as our largest player. Cru looked a Championship team and dominated physically throughout. Skolars were plucky but completely outgunned. 

That's an interesting observation - I've always thought our pack have been a bit lightweight the last few seasons....and if Brad billsborough was bigger than your forwards you're pretty well doomed, he's tiny 😂😂😂

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

Archived