Vote to reduce salary cap by Super League

2 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Let clubs find their level via 2 x 10's. We currently have Turkeys voting for Christmas when a whole game reality is required based upon generating income to grow not grabbing what you can to survive. We have Leeds, Catalans, Hull, Saints, Wire and Wigan - the rest are no better or worse than Fax, Bradford, Fev Leigh, Widnes and possibly Newcastle/York given 10 years without funding.

Stop levelling at the bottom, get rid of the cap and create a structure that the ambitious can rise quickly through

100% this ^^^^^

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sweaty craiq said:

Let clubs find their level via 2 x 10's. We currently have Turkeys voting for Christmas when a whole game reality is required based upon generating income to grow not grabbing what you can to survive. We have Leeds, Catalans, Hull, Saints, Wire and Wigan - the rest are no better or worse than Fax, Bradford, Fev Leigh, Widnes and possibly Newcastle/York given 10 years without funding.

Stop levelling at the bottom, get rid of the cap and create a structure that the ambitious can rise quickly through

That can happen now, quite easily. Having the same salary cap with 2x10s is the same outcome. No salary cap with a league of 12 is the same as a league with no salary cap with a league of 10. It is not the structure that causes the issue, its the implementation. Also this isn't yet another league structure thread.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Damien said:

That can happen now, quite easily. Having the same salary cap with 2x10s is the same outcome. No salary cap with a league of 12 is the same as a league with no salary cap with a league of 10. It is not the structure that causes the issue, its the implementation. Also this isn't yet another league structure thread.

2x10, on the structure envisaged by some, immediately creates basically unsurmountable hurdles for any club ranked lower than 21 now or created after the divisions are set up.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I'm not outraged, I'm annoyed. Annoyed that proposals like this are even put to a vote and that some clubs are even voting for this considering RU and the NRL can outpay RL clubs for players by some distance.

We should be aiming to find parity with the NRL and RU and using the salary cap to improve the standards of the comp, at the moment some clubs are using it as a way of levelling down the comp and bringing everyone down to their own limited potential and capabilities. 

I'm in favour of a salary cap but player pay is a huge factor in the overall standards of play on the field, the more you can pay the better players and product you will get. So in saying that my feeling is that we should be aiming to increase the salary cap level and encouraging clubs to level up, not down. 

I really hope IMG can step in and bring a new perspective that addresses some of these issues. For me it comes back to the fact that some clubs cannot sustain full time rugby league and are just surviving by their fingertips in SL, to the extent that they're not able to excel as a club and bring new fans, players and sponsors into the sport. They are just not up to it and we need franchising to weed some of these clubs out. 

Edited by The Daddy
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Scrap the cap! 

It only ever would've worked if all teams were maxing it out. As they're not, what problem is it solving? 

It would be interesting to see the NRL stipulation that all clubs needed to spend 95% of the cap each year just to see who could and couldn't.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

That's even worse. They are not being treated as full time professionals. When a SL club can't afford to have 30 players on full time contracts - and fill out the squad with £15k kids - then should they even be a SL club?

Those clubs that do this are now trying to stop inflation, trying to reduce salaries of players by bringing down the cap. Pretty sad state of affairs.

But some of them aren't full time professionals, that was my point. I'll use Danny Moss at Saints as an example. He's still in full time education, and didn't want to take up a full time contract until he's finished his education. Whats wrong with that ? Many of these youngsters never make it so having an education to fall back on is a good thing IMO.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

9 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

But some of them aren't full time professionals, that was my point. I'll use Danny Moss at Saints as an example. He's still in full time education, and didn't want to take up a full time contract until he's finished his education. Whats wrong with that ? Many of these youngsters never make it so having an education to fall back on is a good thing IMO.

It's a good thing for NRL clubs that's for sure.

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The cap, low as it is, is wholly incompatible with P/R - let alone after reducing it!

Yep. Either it should be a closed shop with 95% of cap spending rule, like NRL/NFL, or P&R with no hard cap, but instead a revenue based stability rule. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Toby Chopra said:

Yep. Either it should be a closed shop with 95% of cap spending rule, like NRL/NFL, or P&R with no hard cap, but instead a revenue based stability rule. 

100%. If the risk is relegation, spend what you can.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

#ScrapTheCap

I'm very much of this view now, though it is unlikely as most clubs have a reason to keep it, and until it stops working for them then it will stay that way.

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I'm very much of this view now, though it is unlikely as most clubs have a reason to keep it, and until it stops working for them then it will stay that way.

Seeing Joey Leilua and Blake Ferguson playing in the Championship has swung it for me. They should be in Super League (as should others in the Champ)

The calls from some to raise substantially or scrap the cap appear to be at odds with their calls for financial prudence when it comes to Championship clubs. Some Championship clubs, others are celebrated for over-spending of course. 

• Like 2

My view on the cap, if we are to have one is that it should be linked to our turnovers, and as central funding has increased over the years we should have been increasing wages. It is only in the last 4 or 5 years that we have seen any kind of increase with a few hundred k and a couple of marquee allowances. 

However, as central funding has dropped, I don't think it was outrageous to debate whether the cap should fall in line with it. But I'm glad clubs showed some ambition and voted no. 

One final point, whilst I understand why people quote what the NRL and Union pays, they don't pay our bills, and ultimately, we should only spend what we can afford to. 

Edited by Dave T
Typos

7 hours ago, Scubby said:

My understanding is that the SL minimum wage for a squad player is £15k per year (or £8p/h f/t equivalent).

UK Living wage recommendation is about £9.90 IIRC

That's the minimum a player promoted from Academy would have to be paid.

It's not the average pay for SL.

5 minutes ago, dboy said:

That's the minimum a player promoted from Academy would have to be paid.

It's not the average pay for SL.

It is what some SL squad players are on (i.e. players who play first grade)