Jump to content

Sun 24th July : SL : Wakefield Trinity v St Helens KO. 15:00


Who will win?  

44 members have voted

  1. 1. Who will win?

    • Wakefield Trinity
      6
    • St Helens
      38


Recommended Posts

Discuss the SL game between Wakefield Trinity and St Helens here.

"For you, there'll be no more crying, for you the sun will be shining, and I feel that when I'm with you, it's alright, I know it's right"

                                                                                 Christine McVie 1976

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Could be the right time to face Saints from a Wakefield perspective, if there ever is a right time. There’s no Makinson, Hopoate, Percival, Dodd, Matautia and Knowles, so quite a changed backline for Saints will be out there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jughead said:

Could be the right time to face Saints from a Wakefield perspective, if there ever is a right time. There’s no Makinson, Hopoate, Percival, Dodd, Matautia and Knowles, so quite a changed backline for Saints will be out there. 

Not much different to the side that Shudds faced last week then apart from the fact that alternatives will be on the pitch for Matautia and Knowles.  Our points difference is going to take another hammering.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.
 
 
Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I expect our side to be:

Bennison, Hill, Hurrell, Davies, Grace, Welsby, Lomax, Walmsley, Roby, Lees, Sironen, Batchelor, Bell (Subs: Lussick, LMS, Paasi, Wingfield)

There is inexperience in that back line to be shot at. Forwards still looking very strong though. Wouldn't rule out that we concede more than normal but should still have enough to win.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m going for Wakey, injuries and suspensions will cost Saints this game. Wakey have gone from 4/1 to 5/1 to beat Saints. If you was the lucky person who won all that money yesterday put a couple of million on the Trin. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Matatiua and Knowles out, Walmsley in.

We are far better with Welsby at FB.

I would go:

Welsby

Bennison

Hurrel

Davies

Grace

Lomax

Roby

Walmsley

Lusick

Lees

Batch

Sironen

LMS

Interchanges

Passi

Wingfield

Norman

Bell

 

Saints to win 22-34

Defence tired from last week 😴 

 

 

Edited by yipyee
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hurrell will have a field day.

It's a shame that Bevan French will only hold on to that try scoring record for one week. 

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.
 
 
Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Chris22 said:

 

There is inexperience in that back line to be shot at. 

get a bit of perspective, take a look at Trins backline. That is a far mare accurate description of inexperience. 

Not only that Trin dont have a recognised fullback.

If Saints lose, the Woolf needs sacking

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, yipyee said:

Welsby

Bennison

Hurrel

Davies

Grace

Lomax

Roby

Walmsley

Lusick

Lees

Batch

Sironen

LMS

Interchanges

Passi

Wingfield

Norman

Bell

 

 

 

I think that 17 is what Saints will go with, though this would be the perfect opportunity to give Danny Moss another run out at 7. Its a pity Ellis Archer isn't available as he's playing in the Academy Origin game the same day otherwise he may have got an opportunity in the halves as he's also a goal kicker.

  • Like 1

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 21/07/2022 at 10:19, Saint Toppy said:

I think that 17 is what Saints will go with, though this would be the perfect opportunity to give Danny Moss another run out at 7. Its a pity Ellis Archer isn't available as he's playing in the Academy Origin game the same day otherwise he may have got an opportunity in the halves as he's also a goal kicker.

Looking at the squad now announced, fairly sure thats the team Saints will go with. Only option really is who starts at 13 (LMS, Wingfield or Bell) with the other 2 starting from the bench. 

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Scubby said:

Saints have made quite a few changes here. It shouldn't be a rollover if Wakefield have their heads screwed on.

 

There would be a lot of SL teams who would love to have that squad available for them each week.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

There would be a lot of SL teams who would love to have that squad available for them each week.

Yeah doesn't look too weak to me on paper! It's scary the amount of depth Saints have. 

Heart says Wakey but head wins on this one. Saints by 18+ unfortunately. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Trinity have been missing key players in their back line all season almost and it never seems to be acknowledged.
 

Jowitt, Johnstone, Tupou, Lyne, Kay if they were fit would all be starting but have missed fair chunks of the season.

 

Add to that Kershaw/Croft missing most of season with Acl’s having recently returned it’s no surprise we have been struggling. 

 

Hall/Murphy - had less than 5 superleague appearances between them before season started and have done a fantastic job but they are still young players and learning as they go. We are very lucky they are quality young backs or we could be in an even worse position.
 

You read articles about saints missing a handful of players but that’s been a regular occurrence for trinity all season and to be honest I put our league position in part down to missing a chunk of our our backs for a lot of the season. 
 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Trojan Horse said:

You read articles about saints missing a handful of players but that’s been a regular occurrence for trinity all season and to be honest I put our league position in part down to missing a chunk of our our backs for a lot of the season. 

 

Missing a handful? We’re currently missing 6 and it’s a better position than we have been in for most of the season (and that’s ignoring Lomax playing with one arm). I don’t think we have played the same team two games on the bounce all season, and have absolutely no consistency in whose available. 
 

Hopoate has been in and out all year, Dodd is done for the year, Grace missed the first half of the season, Percival has now been out for 3 months and Makinson isn’t far behind him. Lomax has played through a ruptured bicep as we physically couldn’t lose another back this year. Even Hurrell has picked up a couple of bans (though has otherwise been a rock for our back line). 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Magic Superbeetle said:

Missing a handful? We’re currently missing 6 and it’s a better position than we have been in for most of the season (and that’s ignoring Lomax playing with one arm). I don’t think we have played the same team two games on the bounce all season, and have absolutely no consistency in whose available. 
 

Hopoate has been in and out all year, Dodd is done for the year, Grace missed the first half of the season, Percival has now been out for 3 months and Makinson isn’t far behind him. Lomax has played through a ruptured bicep as we physically couldn’t lose another back this year. Even Hurrell has picked up a couple of bans (though has otherwise been a rock for our back line). 
 

Sounds like you’ve had some Wakefield trinity luck with injuries then. 
 

The difference is that saints can afford better quality in depth than trinity can muster hence our league positions.

Make no mistake trinity are massive underdogs tomorrow. Can’t see it being a fun game but I’ll be there as always.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s a depleted saints team but still a very good one and should be too good.

I think mindset will be more important than roster - Saints are comfortable at the top coming off a run of games against the teams around them, Wakey are anything but.

If Saints turn up with a Toulouse away style attitude we’ll come a cropper, otherwise Saints to win by less than 12.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There was a time when a backline like the one expected today for Saints would fill a fair amount of fans with an impending sense of dread but given the dominance of the pack and the way in which Saints defend, it’s not seen as the issue it previously would have been. 

I don’t think it will be comfortable. Wakefield get most of their points at home, are in a scrap now and always good value to find a win against teams they’re written off against. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...