Sat 23rd-Sun 24th Jul: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

40 minutes ago, Josef K said:

What a turnaround for the Broncos what has caused it ?. 

Sheffield letting them win from 28 points down

• Haha 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, JonM said:

Seems very unlikely that Widnes could catch Barrow even before today. With only 7 games to play, making up a 7 point deficit is quite a tall order, particularly as Widnes have Leigh, Fev & Halifax in those 7.

We won't catch Barrow but it's a pity we let York in for that late try, could have been interesting with a four point swing. Thought that was a great effort at Batley today, how we can go from performances like Bradford at home to today amazes me.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

14 minutes ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

We won't catch Barrow but it's a pity we let York in for that late try, could have been interesting with a four point swing. Thought that was a great effort at Batley today, how we can go from performances like Bradford at home to today amazes me.

That's the beauty of sport lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wasginger said:

This league must be absolutely terrible if Fev can be in 2nd place. Especially considering today Fev only had 15 fit players for about an hour, after Riley Jacks and Jack Bussey both went off injured. Fev have been absolutely terrible this season. I'm sat shaking my head.

Do us a favour and post how much you think each championship team this year has spent on wages. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, RSN said:

Do us a favour and post how much you think each championship team this year has spent on wages. 

RSN before jumping in with both feet. You should read my earlier post regarding my comment being tongue in cheek and not meant to disparage any other team in the league. I may be a Fev fan but I'm not that conceited.  

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

Guess it works both ways - if that interception hadn't stuck and the ball had got to the Batley Winger, Batley might have won today in spite of Widnes having been on top for most of the game. Equally if Batley had scored first after half-time, it would've been game over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gav Wilson said:

Christ, who let Eeyore onto the internet? 

Somebody on the Fev FB fans' page last week put up a post saying something like "in over 60 years of supporting the club I've never felt so disillusioned." We've lost 2 league games all season...

Even in the massively successful last 10 years at Fev we've had the Feisal nonsense, a period where we couldn't name 17 players for several weeks, suffered results like a 29-0 home defeat to Whitehaven, and twice missing the play-offs and ending up competing in the Championship Shield.

It's true our performances have been very uninspiring and lacklustre for some time now for sure and it's not easy to see us getting near to Leigh this season, but the weight of expectation sure does weigh heavily in some parts.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Magic XIII said:

A respected figurehead (Eccles) and getting rid of the worst of the worst player wise

To be fair pal,they've got the exact same players, bar signing 1 new player,a former broncos player who wasn't getting a run at York in Sam Davis,they teams the same.Eccles has just put the right people in the right positions and actually give them a attacking game plan.

Fair play to him,I'd be giving him the job proper for 2023 if I were Hughes. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

It's true our performances have been very uninspiring and lacklustre for some time now for sure and it's not easy to see us getting near to Leigh this season, but the weight of expectation sure does weigh heavily in some parts.

I spent the best part of a decade watching Brian Mac Leeds teams have poor runs over summer. I saw us be bang average for entire seasons sometimes. 

I also saw us win 2 Challenge Cups, 4 Super League's, reaching the Super League and Cup semi finals in several seasons too.

He's a coach who knows how to come good at the right times and when to prioritise what. Fev are the second best team in the League. They have to reach the playoff final which should be elementary, and then beat whoever is there over the course of 80 minutes. That's it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fevrover said:

That's the beauty of sport lol.

Correct , that's why no chicken counting will be done till the final whistle of the last game , you are still capable of winning the last game of your season , do that and you'll be in SL 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I spent the best part of a decade watching Brian Mac Leeds teams have poor runs over summer. I saw us be bang average for entire seasons sometimes. 

I also saw us win 2 Challenge Cups, 4 Super League's, reaching the Super League and Cup semi finals in several seasons too.

He's a coach who knows how to come good at the right times and when to prioritise what. Fev are the second best team in the League. They have to reach the playoff final which should be elementary, and then beat whoever is there over the course of 80 minutes. That's it.

Good point about McDermott. He's never cared about how his team play it's always been about the business end.

Didn't Cas whack Leeds by 60 in 2017 before falling to them at the Grand Final?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

Good point about McDermott. He's never cared about how his team play it's always been about the business end.

Didn't Cas whack Leeds by 60 in 2017 before falling to them at the Grand Final?

66-10. I was there, my mate came back from Newcastle for it. They beat us three times more that season at home, at Magic and in the 8s. Didn't win the game that mattered though!

Even the structure in attack was generally non-existent too.

On the "funny old game" theme, John Kear, according to Bradford fans on here, was a rubbish coach, should've been sacked before the season started and so on. Yet Widnes have won 5 on the bounce after announcing his appointment.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Hour and a half, some folk have been here since the womens game kicked off at 12.30!

They let us leave and come back later.

I reckon the bus must have been on the road for 6 hours. I also reckon the Workington guy who got sent off must have decided he'd had enough of long bus trips and decided to get banned for a few weeks. Absolutely dumb, although he did take an equally dumb Eagles player down with him.

Thackeray's a class act. Far too good for Town. I reckon Wath Brow would have given Eagles as good a game today. 

Edited by tim2
  • Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, JonM said:

On the "funny old game" theme, John Kear, according to Bradford fans on here, was a rubbish coach, should've been sacked before the season started and so on. Yet Widnes have won 5 on the bounce after announcing his appointment.

Who would be a coach? Fax started the season with 1 win from 6 which had a few people asking questions particularly on here and he was probably only a loss against Bradford away from people calling for his head. Instead we win the game with 12 players and Bradford go in to free fall while Fax win 13 of their next 14 games. We have been great value for money this year and its probably why nobody apart from the coach and players have batted an eyelid over yesterdays result. Yeah its disappointing but sometimes a loss is needed to just give players a little nudge.

Regards Fev I do get where some of their fans are coming from in that this was looking like their year and it must be frustrating to see Leigh stroll in and buy success like they have to the point where they are a very distant 2nd fav now but the facts are they are going to get a home semi final to get to the final and then if they get through that its a one off game and you never know.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JonM said:

Well, firstly, it was some Bradford fans, not all.

Widnes had a decent squad which was under performing, and Kear was exactly the right person to come in, get them organised and motivate them to start playing to their potential

It doesn't surprise me in the least that they've had a new coach bounce

Whether he's the right guy to take them forward with recruitment for 2023, well, we'll see...