Most promising young player

Who do you think is the most promising/exciting young player at the moment?

I'm talking about players who will potentially play for England.

For me it's from the following players

Welsby/Dodd - Saints

Pearce Paul - Wigan

Newman - Leeds

Qareqare - Castleford

Wardle/Wrench - Warrington

Pryce - Huddersfield 

Farnworth - Brisbane

Young - Newcastle

Rushton - Canberra.

From that list I'd say it's between Welsby and Newman although they're all exciting players with big futures in the game

5 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Welsby/Dodd - Saints

Pearce Paul - Wigan

Newman - Leeds

Qareqare - Castleford

Pryce - Huddersfield 

Farnworth - Brisbane

Young - Newcastle

Rushton - Canberra.

From that list I'd say it's between Welsby and Newman although they're all exciting players with big futures in the game

I'm sure we will have a chat about which of these are the best prospects but my first reaction is how exciting it is that most are halbacks or outside backs.  The most talented set of backs we have seen being developed in a very long time.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

I’m biased but Welsby by a country mile from that list.

Welsby isn't just talent it is attitude. He believes he is going to be a world class player - just figuring it out over next couple of years.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JM2010 said:

I can't argue too much with that but Newman really impresses me too.

He’s a very good mover with the ball . Definitely something a bit special about him . Just needs to string the games together

Welsby continues to absolutely mystify me with some of what he’s doing at the age of 20. He’s not even where his career should be peaking and he’s comfortably one of the best players in the competition, let alone the Saints side. 

• Like 3

Well, I will go with three from the list who could be absolutely world class.

Jack Welsby who is already a game breaker.

Harry Newman who I have said from the first time I saw him was the most exciting outside back we have produced in a very long time.

And Lewis Dodd who was starring in the halves for Saints at an even younger age that Welsby before his injury.

If these three and a couple of others can reach their potential over the next 3 or 4 years it will be great to see.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Can’t disagree with the current consensus of Welsby, Newman and Dodds. However, I do feel from what I’ve seen of Newman that he is yet to really show that potential. I know he’s had injuries recently, but I am yet to see a dominating performance from him like we’ve seen from other players who have gone on and fulfilled their potential.

What I’ve seen of Newman is limited to TV games though.

I feel Jake Wardle should have had more significant improvement in his game over the last 12 months too, and worry he might just start to cruise at his current level. Hopefully that’s not the case and he can visibly improve at Warrington. Just my opinion of course.

Edited by EastLondonMike

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Some great talent but I think Newman, Dodd and Welsby are the 3 that are special already whilst Young and KPP have the raw attributes to become special but are some distance off fulfilling their potential yet. 

I'd also add Morgan Smithies, Morgan Gannon, Lewis Murphy & Ethan Havard to the wider list.

Edited by Ray Cashmere

Welsby

Young Newman Farnworth Murphy

Lewis Dodd

Oledzki Walker* Lees

KPP Rushton

Wingfield*

Havard Aydin Gannon Pryce

Am I missing anyone?

*whilst we have some really promising spine player coming through, there seems to be a bit of a gap at 9 and 13 at the moment, unless I have forgotten someone obvious?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, M j M said:

Morgan Gannon at Leeds is going to be an absolute superstar.

There were some early clips of Jamie Peacock on social media this week. Amazed to see how light and skinny he was in his early 20s. Gannon has a similar build and lots of potential for sure.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Welsby/Dodd - Saints

Pearce Paul - Wigan

Newman - Leeds

Qareqare - Castleford

Pryce - Huddersfield 

Farnworth - Brisbane

Young - Newcastle

Rushton - Canberra.

Id add Gannon in that list from Leeds - hes 18 

• Like 1

As with the consensus for me its Welsby, Newman and Dodd in that order. 

Welsby is just incredible, to see a 20 year old performing at this level, and being so consistent also marks him out as a special talent.

Newman is different in that we`ve seen spells from him that show he could be as good as anyone, but he hasn`t had the chance to show consistency, due to injuries etc. But when he does play well its easy to see the talent he has will take him far.

Dodds is more of an unknown as he was just hitting his stride before his bad injury, genuinely gutted he wont make it back in time for the world cup games, I would love to have seen him against the worlds best players at Tonga and Nz....😉

Gannon looks a machine, mixing it with the big uns at that age is impressive, and getting the better of many them.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Magic Superbeetle said:

Welsby

Young Newman Farnworth Murphy

Lewis Dodd

Oledzki Walker* Lees

KPP Rushton

Wingfield*

Havard Aydin Gannon Pryce

Am I missing anyone?

*whilst we have some really promising spine player coming through, there seems to be a bit of a gap at 9 and 13 at the moment, unless I have forgotten someone obvious?

Is O'Connor at Leeds a 9? apart from last night I haven't seen him play but looked handy

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand