Belle Vue trending for all the wrong reasons

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

But a photo like that can only be taken due to Wakefield's inability to take any pride in their ground. I mean a few hours work and minimal spend could have that looking so much better. Ditto other parts of the ground. Fans have done this kind of stuff for free elsewhere.

Two blokes spending two hours on that dugout could improve it hugely, but clearly the club either don’t think it’s an issue or can’t be bothered. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Two blokes spending two hours on that dugout could improve it hugely, but clearly the club either don’t think it’s an issue or can’t be bothered. 

Or spend a few quid,you can buy them in all shapes,sizes,materials from £200-£2k,they even sell them on Amazon

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davo5 said:

Or spend a few quid,you can buy them in all shapes,sizes,materials from £200-£2k,they even sell them on Amazon

Yeah, when a club has been getting £1.8 million a year is spending £5k on a couple of decent dugouts too much to ask?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

Yeah, when a club has been getting £1.8 million a year is spending £5k on a couple of decent dugouts too much to ask?

It used to be a condition on joining the NCL that clubs had to have adequate dugouts,the same applies at amateur football in a lot of levels & yet it isn’t seen as necessary in our flagship of professional RL.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

It used to be a condition on joining the NCL that clubs had to have adequate dugouts,the same applies at amateur football in a lot of levels & yet it isn’t seen as necessary in our flagship of professional RL.

I said this on the Catalans thread but the game really needs to start implementing minimum standards that clubs need to adhere to.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Always held some affection for Belle Vue as it is one of the pro grounds that I played on (alongside Knowsley Road and Central Park).

I think it's poor form from Saints Social Media team to post some of these pics.  Sure, the place is a mess and Wakey want to invest in something far better but the full length field shots look OK and surely they would suffice.

We are currently on a 20+ plage discussion on the value of Rugby League and I would have thought every club has an obligation to show the sport in the best possible light.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Always held some affection for Belle Vue as it is one of the pro grounds that I played on (alongside Knowsley Road and Central Park).

I think it's poor form from Saints Social Media team to post some of these pics.  Sure, the place is a mess and Wakey want to invest in something far better but the full length field shots look OK and surely they would suffice.

We are currently on a 20+ plage discussion on the value of Rugby League and I would have thought every club has an obligation to show the sport in the best possible light.

Maybe and I see your point.... never-the-less sometimes you have to emphasis something to get change.

Surely Wakefield will do a little improvement as surely all will be embarrassed.

Nothing worse than always pushing things under the carpet so as to ignore - it sort of demonstrates an underlying attitude.  For me it shows if it was deliberate that Saints care how the game is projected, whereas Wakefield maybe not so much. 

Edited by redjonn
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Maybe they thought it might shame Wakey into doing something about their appalling dug out? It’s not very appealing for a professional sports team (or anyone in fact) to have to sit in that. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Maybe and I see your point.... never-the-less sometimes you have to emphasis something to get change.

Surely Wakefield will do a little improvement as surely all will be embarrassed.

Nothing worse than always pushing things under the carpet so as to ignore - it sort of demonstrates an underlying attitude.  For me it shows if it was deliberate that Saints care how the game is projected, whereas Wakefield maybe not so much. 

18 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Maybe they thought it might shame Wakey into doing something about their appalling dug out? It’s not very appealing for a professional sports team (or anyone in fact) to have to sit in that. 

Yes, maybe you are both right.

But one thing is for sure, Saints may have been trying to highlight the poor nature of Belle Vue but what they actually achieved is making the sport look ###### poor.

My question is, is it worth it to get a few chairs changed.

Edited by Dunbar

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Mumby Magic said:

Why else would they take a pic of it.

Which part of the ground should they have taken a picture of that would have looked good? 

The Saints twitter account regularly posts 4 pics of the ground before kick-off; not their fault so little has been spent at on basics at Belle Vue in the last 50 (60?) years.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Yes, maybe you are both right.

But one thing is for sure, Saints may have been trying to highlight the poor nature of Belle Vue but what they actually achieved is making the sport look ###### poor.

My question is, is it worth it to get a few chairs changed.

Saints got to play there for free. Saints fans got charged to go there. If it is a #### environment for RL it has to be called out. This we are all evangelists line doesn't help anyone.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Saints got to play there for free. Saints fans got charged to go there. If it is a #### environment for RL it has to be called out. This we are all evangelists line doesn't help anyone.

Rugby League has a 127 year history of not helping itself to thrive.  I'm just suggesting we try it for once.

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Rugby League has a 127 year history of not helping itself to thrive.  I'm just suggesting we try it for once.

Wakefield have signed Tafoa and Shaul in the last 7 days. This is not a penniless amateur club. Did you see the pic of the ticket office? 

• Like 1

This is just another example of how stupid clubs are when it comes to social media.

Whoever looks after the Instagram/Twitter/Facebook side of things, they need to remember that their primary function is to promote the interests of the club and secondarily promote the wider interests of the game.

Their job isn't to slag off other clubs facilities (or lack of).  I genuinely think that some people who post in a club's name forget that they aren't using their own personal accounts.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Wakefield have signed Tafoa and Shaul in the last 7 days. This is not a penniless amateur club. Did you see the pic of the ticket office? 

The one posted by a Wigan RL fan account, yes I saw that.

Rugby League clubs and fans shaming other clubs.  Yes, that feels about right.

Edited by Dunbar

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

The one posted by a Wigan RL fan account, yes I saw that.

Rugb League clubs and fans shaming other clubs.  Yes, that feels about right.

The is the leisure industry not some health and safety #### show. They are selling a product.

I'm sorry but if Featherstone can rebuild two seated stands entirely with the help of volunteers then Wakefield can do the bare minimum required of an elite sports club. I have zero sympathy for them being shamed.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Dave W said:

This is just another example of how stupid clubs are when it comes to social media.

Whoever looks after the Instagram/Twitter/Facebook side of things, they need to remember that their primary function is to promote the interests of the club and secondarily promote the wider interests of the game.

Their job isn't to slag off other clubs facilities (or lack of).  I genuinely think that some people who post in a club's name forget that they aren't using their own personal accounts.

Let's hope that IMG instill a bit of professionalism and direction into how the clubs use social media to enhance the whole sport.

The brand of Rugby League is the responsibility of everyone who wants the sport to thrive.  This public shaming of clubs so they will improve is self defeating nonsense. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dave W said:

They haven’t slagged anyone off, they’ve just posted some accurate pictures of the stadium and facilities. If Wakey don’t like it they could make the effort to make it look better than a relic from 1970s Eastern Europe. 

Edited by Eddie
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Thinking about it, this wouldn't be a post IMG meeting influenced post from St Helens would it?

I had wondered, that. I can’t say I know if the opinions of McManus and Carter differ that much that there’s “bad blood” but it wouldn’t surprise me if they did have different opinions given the sizes of the two clubs. 

###### take from opposition supporters is par for the course. ###### take from a fellow club is poor form. I imagine there would've be many examples of such photos from Knowsley Road before the move. Notwithstanding the shoddiness of the dugouts which needs sorting asap and are an easy fix, especially as a few hundred or so have been installed at the bottom endow the ground, the issues highlighted will be rectified with the redevelopment of the east stand. Funny that they chose not to photograph or make reference to that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

I agree its a mess. But I will offer a bit of mitigation. Those dugouts will be redundant at the end of the season . If any of you were taking a car to the scrap yard, would you wash and valet it before hand ?

At some point in the twenty years prior to it going to scrap, yes, I reckon I probably would have had it “washed and  valeted” once or twice. 

• Like 1