Two referees get it wrong..

Comparing referees and players in this context isn't appropriate at all. Coaches pick players in order to win games. The RFL pick referees to fulfill apply the rules. 

Players' mistakes affect themselves and their consequences happen throughout the game. Referees' mistakes affect the players, not themselves, so any major errors would need a consequence.

If I make mistakes at work, I have consequences, as do others. I really don't see the issue. It was a major error that they had time to determine the outcome between them. It wasn't heat of the moment. There are no excuses for that, it's incompetence on their part and they need to brush up on their knowledge.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

57 minutes ago, LeeF said:

You originally posted they make lots of mistakes which is what I queried as it is clearly not the case

I don’t think it was a case of not knowing or choosing to ignore. It was just one of those things which happen usually for reasons unknown. 

In the context of there’s probably been lots of mistakes made over the years without being “dropped” - does that make more sense

To the posters who wonder what this is about, the Leeds player scored by diving between the legs of the player who played the ball. That is not allowed. It is obstruction. The on field ref may not have seen it as that. But the video ref? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I will defend incorrect heat of the moment ref's calls and any time they have to deal with nonsense from the players - and, obviously, the nonsense from knuckle-dragging fans about consistency and so on.

But this isn't that. This is a major failing. And one that they had plenty of time to consider and get right. It is right that they face some kind of sanction for getting it so badly wrong.

• Like 6

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

43 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I will defend incorrect heat of the moment ref's calls and any time they have to deal with nonsense from the players - and, obviously, the nonsense from knuckle-dragging fans about consistency and so on.

But this isn't that. This is a major failing. And one that they had plenty of time to consider and get right. It is right that they face some kind of sanction for getting it so badly wrong.

I have some sympathy with the on-field ref, although without a VR he would have awarded it. 

But the process is meant to prevent this. 

I do think the ref having to give a decision was a distraction to the VR, they constantly think about what the ref has sent it as and then try and overlay their view - I'd rather they simply watch the replays and make their own decisions. 

The response feels proportionate though, nothing to get angry about. 

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

In the context of there’s probably been lots of mistakes made over the years without being “dropped” - does that make more sense

But that’s not what you originally posted or meant however if that’s what you now mean then fair enough albeit all players have probably made more mistakes, definitely on a pro rata basis, over a career or the years and they don’t get dropped as quickly as referees do

10 minutes ago, LeeF said:

But that’s not what you originally posted or meant however if that’s what you now mean then fair enough albeit all players have probably made more mistakes, definitely on a pro rata basis, over a career or the years and they don’t get dropped as quickly as referees do

That’s exactly what I meant. Albeit clumsy written. I really don’t know what’s so controversial about any of this anyway

Like others, I think the decision to drop Moore is harsh. He's had to run a long way to get close to that incident and watching it first time around, it's easy to see why you may not fully have grasped what happened. The 'on-field' decision of try was not the correct one, but is understandable, and he correctly referred to the video referee so that this error could be corrected.

The decision was a substantial error by Child and hard to fathom when you have multiple replays. It's as clear of an obstruction as you will see. Won't hang him out to dry because mistakes happen, sometimes they are significant. That's sport.

12 hours ago, weloveyouwakefield2 said:

So when did the Championship become disrespected enough to be used as the Naughty Step?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

after all this what the hell was newman thinking all he had to do was pass the ball and they were in, off with his head.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

4 hours ago, johnh1 said:

To the posters who wonder what this is about, the Leeds player scored by diving between the legs of the player who played the ball. That is not allowed. It is obstruction. The on field ref may not have seen it as that. But the video ref? 

Thank you JohnH. Couldn't work that out from the still but it makes much more sense now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, JohnM said:

As I missed the game so didn't witness the incident, is it now too late to join in the general outrage? 

You would if anyone suggested that the referees were woke.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

Good debate, interested to know, what do people believe is the correct sanction for a ref making a large error like this?

Being dropped to the championship? 

Miss a week?

Internally fined? 

Other....

I don't think anything should be set as a punishment. Certainly nothing like fines. 

But selections are based on performance, not unlike players to an extent, so poor performance should lead to changes in selections I. E. Not getting the big gigs. 

But the more important thing here is the learning and development that happens in training each week, which nobody sees. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

Good debate, interested to know, what do people believe is the correct sanction for a ref making a large error like this?

Miss a week?

Internally fined? 

Other....

Other. They must be made to do the Pelosi on the big screen.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Can the video ref overrule on something he wasn't asked to look for (obstruction). IIRC, Moore sent it up as a try asking only to check the grounding. 

I *think* they can, but it's a good question on processes. 

If a ref asks the VR to check crossing for example, they would also automatically check offside and grounding as well, so they do check outside what the ref asks, but that seems to be protocol... 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

Miss a week?

Internally fined? 

Other....

1) Being dropped to championship 

2)miss a week 

3) internally fined  

4) ten years imprisonment 

5) death by firing squad 

6) option to fight to the death in the coliseum cheered on by fans of wronged team 

7) watch box set of all James Corden programmes ( on loop until pleading for forgiveness ) 

8 ) hung drawn and  quartered 

9) slapped across face with damp rugby league express 

10) a thousand lines saying ‘ I must not make dead bad errors ever again ‘

• Haha 4