Andy Farrell at Robin Park

2 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I’m utterly embarrassed when that other sports personnel are paraded on Sky RL games like they’re some sort of celebrity. 

Yeah, me too. And not just Sky games. Notably Jason Robinson, who jumped ship right before the 2000 World Cup for some reason.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Overhyped, over-rated player who doesn't figure in Wigan's greatest ever 13.

Frano figures as 6 and goal kicker.

Ellery is 13 and captain.

Just saying.

I am not a wigan fan but he was never over hyped. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Panface was a fine RL player but it's weird that we treat him as a celeb because he does whatever he does in union. 

8 hours ago, Jughead said:

I’m utterly embarrassed when that other sports personnel are paraded on Sky RL games like they’re some sort of celebrity. 

I'm pretty sure that any Wigan fans that applauded him yesterday did so for what he achieved in a Wigan Rugby League shirt and not anything after that. 

The only thing that comes to my mind when I think of Andy Farrell is Rugby League.

• Like 9

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

12 hours ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Just saying.

so you're new to the club?

Have you ever watched him play?

You are aware, I assume, of the importance of the role of captain.

you are no doubt fully aware of the circumstances of his leaving?

maybe you are just sharing in the blind prejudice and bigotry of some others here, justifying Clare Balding's  comment about rugby league fans shoulder-chips.

• Like 6

Frano won Wigan more games, cups, trophies, championships than Farrell.

Thanks for subjective opinion and debate.

😀😀😀😀😀😀

Botica didn't know why he'd been signed and decided he'd better do something so he learned how to kick by practice, practice and more practice.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jughead said:

A boxer at a football match. I'm surprised the sport recovered.

Tyson Fury received a warm welcome at Old Trafford during a previous visit

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just saying.

Agreed, always got found out against international opposition as well

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Stuff Smith said:

Yeah, me too. And not just Sky games. Notably Jason Robinson, who jumped ship right before the 2000 World Cup for some reason.

Wouldn't it be better for Super League to try and promote current players of their podcast, rather than hear stories from the likes of Robinson, great as he was, that we've all heard by now?

12 hours ago, Jughead said:

Some have championed this wrong’un as a Rugby League coach. I would be offended to have him associated with this sport after his comments about our sport. 

You'll have to tell me what he said? I've missed that obviously. Hang on, do you mean Andy Farrell or Eddie Jones?

Edited by fighting irish

29 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Not sure I'd want that "character" associated with my sport, with all the things he said in the past, that he's got a free pass for.

Nor would I but we’ve had Mike Tyson in a Great Britain shirt so we’re not really in a position to be judgemental.

I literally just googled “boxer at football match” and that came up.

We can be a bit over praising whenever anyone shows an interest but there’s really nothing negative about shouting about big names - even union ones - who come and enjoy some league.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I'm pretty sure that any Wigan fans that applauded him yesterday did so for what he achieved in a Wigan Rugby League shirt and not anything after that. 

The only thing that comes to my mind when I think of Andy Farrell is Rugby League.

I'm sure that's true. I suppose I don't know if we get as excited when players of a similar stature who didn't go off to union (Sculthorpe, Newlove, Robbie Paul, loads more from the 80s) show up at a ground.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

46 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I'm sure that's true. I suppose I don't know if we get as excited when players of a similar stature who didn't go off to union (Sculthorpe, Newlove, Robbie Paul, loads more from the 80s) show up at a ground.

That may be right.  Maybe it's just because they are around more often... certainly Paul and Sculthorpe are as they are involved in the game still.

Anyway, I would rather welcome players than ostracise them like the other lot used to.  We are better than that.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

15 hours ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Just saying.

Couldn't agree more. 

• Haha 1

Farrell is the quintessential on-field leader that seems so lacking in many top teams today. As an opposition fan, I absolutely hated him, more than other Wigan players. That’s how I know he was one of the driving forces behind great Wigan teams for about 20 years.

It’s easy for bitterness to fog memories.

• Like 7

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

It wasn't so much that Farrell was highlighted, for me it was more how often they showed him... even to the extent that those around him were ready to wave as they kept showing him...

Now if they would have tried to have a brief interview it would have been interesting...

• Like 1

In the stand yesterday were Betts, Sculthorpe and Farrell.   Now that is a quality back row.

• Like 1

Just now, Archie Gordon said:

Depends who you're putting at 12.

If I were picking them on modern coaching and tactics... and these three at their best.

Betts and Farrell as edge forwards and Sculthorpe at 13 would he the best combination for me.

• Thanks 1