Jump to content

Sat 24th Sept: SLGF: St Helens v Leeds Rhinos KO 18:00 (Sky)


Who will win?  

84 members have voted

  1. 1. Who will win?

    • St Helens by 13 points or more
      13
    • St Helens by 7 to 12 points
      24
    • St Helens by 1 to 6 points
      5
    • Leeds Rhinos by 1 to 6 points
      26
    • Leeds Rhinos by 7 to 12 points
      15
    • Leeds Rhinos by 13 points or more
      1

This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/09/22 at 17:30

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, dkw said:

I expect wellsby back to FB, Lomax/Dodds as half back pairing would be the ideal.

Neither Hopoate or Bennison is likely to be first choice going into next season. Woolf confirmed we’re looking to sign a new winger to replace Grace (paying a transfer fee to Wakefield for Murphy if you believe the Saints forum), and Dodd comes back in.

1. Welsby 2. Makinson 3. Hurrell 4. Percival 5. <New Signing> 6. Lomax 7. Dodd

Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, Stuff Smith said:

No, we will. Maybe not too many admittedly. And they'll be Saints "supporters"!

Just like Wigan in the early 90s. (Or Liverpool FC throughout the country then, now, and in the future.)

Agreed, the sports that have someone who dominates makes household names, there's then the glory hunters who support person/team and the underdog lovers who wants them knocked off their perch.

Man U dominated the prem for 20 years and that kept growing from strength to strength, Schumacher, Taylor, McCoy, Wigan, Barcelona/real Madrid, Federer/Nadal, celtic/rangers etc..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Leeds and Saints both had absentees going into this match. But Leeds had more players out and less depth to replace them.

I thought before the match that Saints would need an off day to lose and they didn't have one. Lomax was masterful and Lees has stood up in Walmsley's absence.

I never felt worried during the game and thought we were comfortable. Thinking about it a bit more, it could have been closer. Saints scrambled to keep out Sutcliffe and Martin when they both would have scored against worse defences. Leeds let in a really soft score to Hurrell. Little moments that kept a gap between the sides.

Leeds were dogged and never gave up. I do wonder if Hardaker at full back and Myler at scrum half was a better option though.

A nice touch by the likes of Rohan Smith and Blake Austin who applauded the Saints crowd as they left the field. Didn't go unnoticed.

This is unquestionably the most ruthless Saints side I've ever seen. If an opponent switches off or makes an error, it is usually punished. Sometimes that ruthlessness manifests itself in ways I don't like too.

We've been spoiled over the last 4 years and I hope our fans realise and don't take periods like these for granted.

Edited by Chris22
  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, yipyee said:

Agreed, the sports that have someone who dominates makes household names, there's then the glory hunters who support person/team and the underdog lovers who wants them knocked off their perch.

Man U dominated the prem for 20 years and that kept growing from strength to strength, Schumacher, Taylor, McCoy, Wigan, Barcelona/real Madrid, Federer/Nadal, celtic/rangers etc..

All of those above were dominant, not all were great. Take out Rangers/Celtic who play in effectively a pub league so they really don't deserve mentioning in the same breath.

Edited by SalfordSlim
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought the St Helens fans in particular were fantastic tonight. For me, Jonny Lomax summed it up perfectly when he described the working class bond of the team and town. He really understands his own fans which seems to really motivate him and his team to  play to the limit.

I really enjoyed the game. I don't think the result was ever in doubt except for during the half time interval,but it was exciting and skilful. 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, SalfordSlim said:

All of those above were dominant, not all were great. Take out Rangers/Celtic who play in effectively a pub league so they really don't deserve mentioning in the same breath.

At the end of the day people like to know they’re watching a very high standard of something in sport.

Wherever you might rank them, Saints of this era have a greatness through consistency that is being recognised in the wider sporting circle.

To even be having the comparisons being made with the great Wigan era of the 80’s/90’s is good for rugby league I feel as it will make more people check out the game.

I can also recognise that as a Salford fan at this time, where Saints are maybe standing in the way of winning trophies, it is annoying.  

When I was supporting Saints in that 80’s/90’s period it was hard to feel deferential to Wigan although it did make ‘climbing the mountain’ of that time feel even sweeter when victories and later trophies came.

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saints win and record was the first item on BBC Radio Five sports news at 6.30 this morning KO, which is good.

Saints and it's fans are also about to experience the same opprobrium that was heaped on Wigan during their period of domination.  

Is the ASBO about to replace the WDL?

(Anti-St Helens Brigade Organisation)

Edited by JohnM

"Stay away from negative people. They have a problem for every solution."

Albert Einstein   (Fat chance on THIS forum)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Game went as expected really. As has been said all season, the overall standard of the league hasn’t been great and I don’t think there’s ever been such a gulf between first and fifth.

Can't agree with this especially when Leeds only lost by two scores. Looking back, especially at the first decade or so of SL, there are some teams that would have been absolutely spanked finishing 5th by their table topping counterparts - that's if they even had got to Old Trafford.

Whilst Saints have a clinical edge - the league as a whole is a lot closer nowadays, although arguably overall quality has suffered. 

To be at the top for four years in a row is impressive whatever way you look at it. From Saints' POV you can only play the hand you're dealt and at the end of the day their name is in the record books as four time champs. That isn't just luck. Do they excite me as all time greats - no not really - but at the end of the day the record books say how good they are and that's that!

Really enjoyed the final, thought the atmosphere in the ground was too notch too.

Edited by Amber Avenger
  • Like 7

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ultimately, a pretty comfortable win for Saints in the end last night. Pretty dominant for all but about 10-15 minutes, when momentum was with Leeds and when they scored at the death of the first half. 

I’ve not seen the game again, only a couple of highlights, so I won’t be drawn on micro-analysing tackle-by-tackle to say The RFL are corrupt, because that’s most likely to have happened on this place. 

The crowd felt quite big, I was shocked it was only 60,000, but it was quite full in the areas around me and to my left in the Stretford End. Shame there wasn’t a few thousand more but you can understand why there wasn’t with things going on at the minute plus the World Cup in a few weeks. 

What a special club this is. Four in a row. 

Edited by Jughead
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

At the end of the day people like to know they’re watching a very high standard of something in sport.

Wherever you might rank them, Saints of this era have a greatness through consistency that is being recognised in the wider sporting circle.

To even be having the comparisons being made with the great Wigan era of the 80’s/90’s is good for rugby league I feel as it will make more people check out the game.

I can also recognise that as a Salford fan at this time, where Saints are maybe standing in the way of winning trophies, it is annoying.  

When I was supporting Saints in that 80’s/90’s period it was hard to feel deferential to Wigan although it did make ‘climbing the mountain’ of that time feel even sweeter when victories and later trophies came.

Huh?🤔 I've said nothing about Saints not being a great team so not sure why you're bringing the fact that I'm a Salford fan into it.😂

I'm questioning why Rangers and Celtic are in that list for dominating a 2 team league where the other teams would struggle in L1 in England. The others mentioned are/were indeed great teams/individuals.

Edited by SalfordSlim
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Has Tommy Makinson being a right knob  at the end of the game been mentioned yet?

youve just won your 4th GF in a row, you have 25,000 saints fans at one end, yet he chooses to run to the Leeds fans and taunt them.

Classy.

 

All class all week from Saints, are you surprised?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Chris22 said:

Leeds and Saints both had absentees going into this match. But Leeds had more players out and less depth to replace them.

I thought before the match that Saints would need an off day to lose and they didn't have one. Lomax was masterful and Lees has stood up in Walmsley's absence.

I never felt worried during the game and thought we were comfortable. Thinking about it a bit more, it could have been closer. Saints scrambled to keep out Sutcliffe and Martin when they both would have scored against both defences. Leeds let in a really soft score to Hurrell. Little moments that kept a gap between the sides.

Leeds were dogged and never gave up. I do wonder if Hardaker at full back and Myler at scrum half was a better option though.

A nice touch by the likes of Rohan Smith and Blake Austin who applauded the Saints crowd as they left the field. Didn't go unnoticed.

This is unquestionably the most ruthless Saints side I've ever seen. If an opponent switches off or makes an error, it is usually punished. Sometimes that ruthlessness manifests itself in ways I don't like too.

We've been spoiled over the last 4 years and I hope our fans realise and don't take periods like these for granted.

Good summary mate, pretty much agree with every word. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

At the end of the day people like to know they’re watching a very high standard of something in sport.

Wherever you might rank them, Saints of this era have a greatness through consistency that is being recognised in the wider sporting circle.

To even be having the comparisons being made with the great Wigan era of the 80’s/90’s is good for rugby league I feel as it will make more people check out the game.

I can also recognise that as a Salford fan at this time, where Saints are maybe standing in the way of winning trophies, it is annoying.  

When I was supporting Saints in that 80’s/90’s period it was hard to feel deferential to Wigan although it did make ‘climbing the mountain’ of that time feel even sweeter when victories and later trophies came.

Salford did themselves proud this year. Amazing rugby - we need a strong Salford and they look like they’ve turned a significant corner. Fingers and toes crossed re stadium…

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Pie tries said:

Salford did themselves proud this year. Amazing rugby - we need a strong Salford and they look like they’ve turned a significant corner. Fingers and toes crossed re stadium…

Agreed I don't really do second teams , but I like Salford 

 Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Amber Avenger said:

Can't agree with this especially when Leeds only lost by two scores. Looking back, especially at the first decade or so of SL, there are some teams that would have been absolutely spanked finishing 5th by their table topping counterparts - that's if they even had got to Old Trafford.

In the first 12 years we never had a team from below 3rd get to the Grand Final because the play off system better rewarded league placings and was much more difficult for those finishing lower.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My observations.

Leeds had caught Bradford Bulls Syndrome ... never pass to your winger when there is an overlap.

I struggled to understand the Leeds formation. If Sezer was out, why not play Richie Myler at scrum half and Zak Hardaker at fullback ... both are internationals in the positions? Otherwise, play Brad Dwyer at scrum half.  Cameron Smith never looked up to the task he was landed with. Pity, because I thought Blake Austin was Leeds' best player. I thought Rhyse Martin was their best forward.

Both sides struggled with their footing on that pitch ... had the surface been hosed to death beforehand  like the football clubs do?

Saints had some good individual performances; especially from Jonny Lomax and Jack Welsby. Their defence was well marshalled and their attack was consistently efficient. The defensive effort was more impressive than the attack. No need to draw on the famous individual flair  when the chips are down, because the chips were never down.

A good game, but no better than "good".

  • Like 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pie tries said:

Salford did themselves proud this year. Amazing rugby - we need a strong Salford and they look like they’ve turned a significant corner. Fingers and toes crossed re stadium…

The stadium issue needs deciding soon or we'll no doubt see another mass of players being tempted elsewhere. Moor Lane isn't really a great option for a club that has done brilliantly on a shoestring and needs to kick on to that next level of consistency (unless you're Vastman and you think Salford are spending full cap 🤦‍♂️😂).

The squad needs to be strengthened around Croft for next season (he'll be back in the NRL after that) and we can't have a repeat of the 2021 season after our GF appearance where we got ripped apart and had to start again.

Edited by SalfordSlim
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Damien said:

In the first 12 years we never had a team from below 3rd get to the Grand Final because the play off system better rewarded league placings and was much more difficult for those finishing lower.

No matter how many times you churn this line out it's still nonsense mate.

Saints needed to win 1 game at home (where they're almost unbeatable) against a team that,  having finished 6th, had already had to beat the team that finished 3rd away from home (similar rules applied to Leeds who finished 5th).

Saints had home advantage, were fresher and were clearly the best team in the comp so in a one off game this is more than enough of an advantage. I'm really not sure what else you want to give the top 3/4 teams in SL to protect the status quo at the top.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SalfordSlim said:

No matter how many times you churn this line out it's still nonsense mate.

Saints needed to win 1 game at home (where they're almost unbeatable) against a team that,  having finished 6th, had already had to beat the team that finished 3rd away from home (similar rules applied to Leeds who finished 5th).

Saints had home advantage, were fresher and were clearly the best team in the comp so in a one off game this is more than enough of an advantage. I'm really not sure what else you want to give the top 3/4 teams in SL to protect the status quo at the top.

No it's a fact. Your rambling reply does not change that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...