37 of 42 back IMG’s proposal

8 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

This is major news from an East Hull perspective. Sewell’s are a major employer, rooted in the community, with a solid track record of charitable endeavour. It’s quite a coup getting Paul involved - this is a real, mature, grounded businessman who looks to the long term not headlines.

Their construction business has built a lot of infrastructure stuff - NHS stuff, schools etc - locally, so he’s exactly the right person to have on board as we take advantage of both the stadium ownership and more importantly our first-buy options on the 18 acres of brownfield land around the site. I couldn’t have picked a better Chairman. Best news for years. 

Pleased for you and your club, which clearly is on the up. It's interesting to me that Sewell namechecks IMG as this is exactly the sort of investment the restructuring to a franchised league seems designed to attract. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Pleased for you and your club, which clearly is on the up. It's interesting to me that Sewell namechecks IMG as this is exactly the sort of investment the restructuring to a franchised league seems designed to attract. 

The chief executive at KR namechecked IMG last week.

The new guy hasn't mentioned 8nvestment in the above quote.

Obviously Super League clubs have been informed of various things by the IMG lot.Kudos to Sewell for being aware of IMG while being such a busy fella.

I wonder which sport interests him.Strange there is no mention of him and Hull KR from yesteryear.

I wonder when the  plebs get some information from IMG?

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 hour ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I wonder which sport interests him.Strange there is no mention of him and Hull KR from yesteryear.

I suspect there'll be more of this kind of happy happestance to come.

1 hour ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Chicken and the egg really; What will come first actual information or the end of our ability to make it all up?

• Like 2

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

19 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

The chief executive at KR namechecked IMG last week.

The new guy hasn't mentioned 8nvestment in the above quote.

Obviously Super League clubs have been informed of various things by the IMG lot.Kudos to Sewell for being aware of IMG while being such a busy fella.

He's a Hull City, football man. But the firm is embedded in East Hull, they've sponsored one of the stands first and then later the whole stadium, and he and Neil Hudgell are friends.

IMG's 12 year involvement, and the sign that for once Rugby League might start planning properly rather than an endless succession of changes, is definitely a key factor in him joining Rovers.  We've spent years having plans usually decided upon by clubs self-interest (and often spending too much time levelling-down for the weakest players). 

Edited by Hull Kingston Bronco
Typo
  • Like 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

21 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

It's interesting to me that Sewell namechecks IMG as this is exactly the sort of investment the restructuring to a franchised league seems designed to attract. 

And so IMG's Franchising is delivering big investors and investments already?

Nothing to do with Mr. Hudgell then, who has actively searched for more investment for some years now.....

22 minutes ago, steve oates said:

Nothing to do with Mr. Hudgell then, who has actively searched for more investment for some years now.....

You know it can be both, right?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, steve oates said:

It's both, they're not contradictory.

In fact its more than that: The reason Neil H is still involved to the extent he is (having considered passing the baton), is also down to the IMG opportunities and his belief in the type of future that may come from them. It's a force multiplier. 

• Like 2

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

1 hour ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

It's both, they're not contradictory.

In fact its more than that: The reason Neil H is still involved to the extent he is (having considered passing the baton), is also down to the IMG opportunities and his belief in the type of future that may come from them. It's a force multiplier. 

Delighted Neil Hudgell is pleased.When he was displeased with the RFL Disciplinary he got involved - and recently some sounded off that it,the disciplinary, was worse than ever.

Yet no one has purchased the club despite these heads - up from IMG?

Seems to me the cartel continues.Alright for some...

2 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Delighted Neil Hudgell is pleased.When he was displeased with the RFL Disciplinary he got involved - and recently some sounded off that it,the disciplinary, was worse than ever.

Yet no one has purchased the club despite these heads - up from IMG?

Seems to me the cartel continues.Alright for some...

If you think Hull KR are part of some cartel then I've got a bridge to sell you. We were out of Superleague for over a decade, and only got in it due to doing the hard yards to rebuild our club, all of that funded by Neil and Rob Crossland. Nobody did us any favours, and nobody has protected us since. 

No idea what your paranoid angle is, but any club outside the top tier who wants to progress can do exactly the same thing.

Currently, you can still win entry through promotion. In a few years time you'll be able to win entry by becoming a Class A club. That's a far more sensible, stable and long-term approach than hoping that either Father Christmas or perhaps your local caravan decking millionaire comes along to subsidises a Championship wage bill over £1m per year just to beat part-timers on win money by 40-50 points each week. That's not strategic planning. It's not really even "earning" entry through performance, when you've tilted the scales so far in your favour with a daft wages budget. That's just a lottery. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Hull Kington Rovers are growing and growing as a club and the new 'power board' for off field matters headed by Paul Sewell is designed to put Rovers at the forefront of the IMG world taking shape.

In the next few weeks Rovers will reveal other new board members all from out of town, all very successful businessmen who have bought into the revolution taking place at Craven Park.

The catalyst was the purchase of Craven Park and surrounding land which has been a real game changer for the club. Paul Lakin CEO says stage 1 of the redevelopment will be a £1m training facility at the ground complete with 3G pitch hopefully ready for pre-season in a years time. Stage 2 will be a new West Stand.

In the meantime Rovers will be at maximum cap for 2023, the first time for many years and an increase in spend of £300k from 2022. Lakin says that Rovers intend to be a top 4 club not just in the league table but in everything they do.

Fine words. But supplemented by decisive action. Despite a big increase in player spend the bookies still have Rovers to drop from 8th to 11th in 2023. I think that is a massive mistake on their part.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

If you think Hull KR are part of some cartel then I've got a bridge to sell you. We were out of Superleague for over a decade, and only got in it due to doing the hard yards to rebuild our club, all of that funded by Neil and Rob Crossland. Nobody did us any favours, and nobody has protected us since. 

Hull KR had 10 years in Super League since 2007 and one year out,2017.

You reaped the benefits and will do,again.

If your neighbours run themselves into any trouble there is always the 'merger' get out clause.

Amazing how Super League clubs can do the hard yards - those outside rarely get the breaks.

The lack of imagination by the reimagining lot suggests it will be the same old,same old.

As your club seem to have been kept in the loop by IMG,no surprise there,I don't expect anything to change.

Be the same with the game changing international results,as well...

I'm off to sleep now.Wake me if the sport ever changes for the better or the games sell-out.Oh,and always be better than the black & whites...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

If your neighbours run themselves into any trouble there is always the 'merger' get out clause.

Amazing how Super League clubs can do the hard yards - those outside rarely get the breaks.

The lack of imagination by the reimagining lot suggests it will be the same old,same old.

As your club seem to have been kept in the loop by IMG,no surprise there,I don't expect anything to change.

I'm off to sleep now.Wake me if the sport ever changes for the better or the games sell-out.Oh,and always be better than the black & whites...

Very bitter individual.

7 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Twaddle

Hull KR had 11 years without SuperLeague, and nearly went under. Our local rivals had a decade’s head start to build their market. 
We got back in because we had a supporter with some money, but also the intelligence to deploy it effectively. Oh, and a long-standing heritage of success, with the latent local support associated with that background. Plus of course the ability to create a force multiplier with a genuine Derby. KR and FC is a classic market 2+2=5 scenario.

Keighley on the other hand have done nothing since their equivalent misfortune in 1996. Nothing. And to be honest had done very little before it, save a few years of creative local marketing. It sits in a small geographic market, surrounded on all sides by bigger and better competitors. Which probably explains why nothing has miraculously happened in the last 26 years.

Now, I understand why psychologically it’s easier to blame the actions of some “other” for your lack of accomplishments, or progress. Crack on mate. But in those infrequent moments of honest self-reflection, you know as well as I do that it’s because of your own factors that the club is where it is. 

Nothing stops Cougars becoming a Class A club. Well, nothing except it’s own lack of resources, facilities, previous success or sustainable local economic market of supporters and commercial partners. Stop sulking, and take some responsibility. Until you do, you’ll never get anywhere. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Twaddle

Hull KR had 11 years without SuperLeague, and nearly went under. Our local rivals had a decade’s head start to build their market. 
We got back in because we had a supporter with some money, but also the intelligence to deploy it effectively. Oh, and a long-standing heritage of success, with the latent local support associated with that background. Plus of course the ability to create a force multiplier with a genuine Derby. KR and FC is a classic market 2+2=5 scenario.

Keighley on the other hand have done nothing since their equivalent misfortune in 1996. Nothing. And to be honest had done very little before it, save a few years of creative local marketing. It sits in a small geographic market, surrounded on all sides by bigger and better competitors. Which probably explains why nothing has miraculously happened in the last 26 years.

Now, I understand why psychologically it’s easier to blame the actions of some “other” for your lack of accomplishments, or progress. Crack on mate. But in those infrequent moments of honest self-reflection, you know as well as I do that it’s because of your own factors that the club is where it is. 

Nothing stops Cougars becoming a Class A club. Well, nothing except it’s own lack of resources, facilities, previous success or sustainable local economic market of supporters and commercial partners. Stop sulking, and take some responsibility. Until you do, you’ll never get anywhere. 

Harsh but true 

• Like 1

Sadly the notion of opinion crashes on the rocks of any forum.

I now think IMG efforts may have one primary aim and that may be the easiest to achieve, won't be a bad thing but won't conquer the market place.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, Toby Chopra said:

Harsh but true 

He’s earned the blunt reality. Fact is, he can’t handle the truth. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Keighley Cougars, like other clubs,seem to have suffered from the governing body allowing less than fit & proper individuals to take charge of the club.

You gained by a supporter, with money,taking charge at KR.Not every club is that fortunate.The likelihood of the next generation of supporter,having money,is unlikely due to the age demographic of rugby supporters and cost of living crisis which won't be ending anytime soon.

Keighley, as far as I am aware,does not have the benefit of a Tesco store.

If a club,other than KR,knew what the criteria was to become a 'Class A' club,they may make efforts to attain the status.

Not bitter.Not sulking.Not able to take responsibility. The rich get richer and the poor will probably be getting poorer.

I expect followers of Super League clubs to continue to revel in their mediocrity. 

I was hoping coaching would be a priority.Participation levels to increase. The sport moving on at some pace.Instead,the usual collection of small fish in a small pool will remain.

Still,I am sure the categorization of clubs will incentivise players to really increase their skills. 

I do hope attendances increases following the World Cup...

19 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Keighley Cougars, like other clubs,seem to have suffered from the governing body allowing less than fit & proper individuals to take charge of the club.

You gained by a supporter, with money,taking charge at KR.Not every club is that fortunate.The likelihood of the next generation of supporter,having money,is unlikely due to the age demographic of rugby supporters and cost of living crisis which won't be ending anytime soon.

Keighley, as far as I am aware,does not have the benefit of a Tesco store.

If a club,other than KR,knew what the criteria was to become a 'Class A' club,they may make efforts to attain the status.

Not bitter.Not sulking.Not able to take responsibility. The rich get richer and the poor will probably be getting poorer.

I expect followers of Super League clubs to continue to revel in their mediocrity. 

I was hoping coaching would be a priority.Participation levels to increase. The sport moving on at some pace.Instead,the usual collection of small fish in a small pool will remain.

Still,I am sure the categorization of clubs will incentivise players to really increase their skills. 

I do hope attendances increases following the World Cup...

When Hudgell took over at Hull KR he had a small legal practice with a shop on Holderness Road, he wasn’t that wealthy. What he did have though was good sense, and a latent support base from decades of Rovers being a top-level club.

Not all clubs have that, it’s time to be realistic. Keighley had 100 years to build a successful club in an era of part-time players when they could have been competitive, they didn’t manage it. The idea that the reason they can’t do it now is some cartel that excludes them is for the birds.

The A-standard requirements will be published next season, so people will know where the line is. But in the real world small-market clubs should set more realistic goals, and build themselves for other reasons. Just as they do in League down under, or in other sports like Baseball in the States where entry to the major leagues is through a broader set of factors than just one season’s results on the pitch. There is a positive role for community, semi-pro clubs if they focus on that rather than have pipe dreams about a future stature they’ve never had in the 12 prior decades and are genuinely not capable of sustaining now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When Hudgell took over at Hull KR he had a small legal practice with a shop on Holderness Road, he wasn’t that wealthy. What he did have though was good sense, and a latent support base from decades of Rovers being a top-level club.

Not all clubs have that, it’s time to be realistic. Keighley had 100 years to build a successful club in an era of part-time players when they could have been competitive, they didn’t manage it. The idea that the reason they can’t do it now is some cartel that excludes them is for the birds.

The A-standard requirements will be published next season, so people will know where the line is. But in the real world small-market clubs should set more realistic goals, and build themselves for other reasons. Just as they do in League down under, or in other sports like Baseball in the States where entry to the major leagues is through a broader set of factors than just one season’s results on the pitch. There is a positive role for community, semi-pro clubs if they focus on that rather than have pipe dreams about a future stature they’ve never had in the 12 prior decades and are genuinely not capable of sustaining now. 

That certainly puts everyone on their place. Know your limitaions and all that. Just the right attitude fot sport.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

It's a shame that despite all this money and progress that SL cannot produce one player who would get selected in the Australian side.

What progress ? We're no nearer beating Australia now then when SL was set up twenty odd years ago. 

6 hours ago, Dovster said:

That certainly puts everyone on their place. Know your limitaions and all that. Just the right attitude fot sport.

Nope. Everyone has the opportunity. If you want to dream big, go for it. But the market is ultimately the real source of truth, and for many clubs it has been asked what it thinks for over 100 years and has given its very clear answer. Contrast Bradford with Keighley for example. Clearly there’s a market for scalable success in one, and there isn’t in the other.

The future model provides clubs with elite level potential like the Bulls with a far more sensible way to build back than “pray our local caravan decking millionaire will come along and splurge £1m blowing Featherstone’s wage budget off the park one year”. If they instead do the right things to build a growth platform, they can join - on a sustainable basis, adding value to the league.

You might find that frankness confronting. So be it. Personally I think us making small clubs feel better about themselves for years has held the game back. It’s time to stop playing for the lowest common denominator, and to start looking upwards. 

• Like 1

Nope. Everyone has the opportunity. If you want to dream big, go for it. But the market is ultimately the real source of truth, and for many clubs it has been asked what it thinks for over 100 years and has given its very clear answer. Contrast Bradford with Keighley for example. Clearly there’s a market for scalable success in one, and there isn’t in the other.

The future model provides clubs with elite level potential like the Bulls with a far more sensible way to build back than “pray our local caravan decking millionaire will come along and splurge £1m blowing Featherstone’s wage budget off the park one year”. If they instead do the right things to build a growth platform, they can join - on a sustainable basis, adding value to the league.

You might find that frankness confronting. So be it. Personally I think us making small clubs feel better about themselves for years has held the game back. It’s time to stop playing for the lowest common denominator, and to start looking upwards. 

Keighley are the only sports club in the town and have potential.

They are also a leader in minority rights and are trying to attract new fans to our game. Asian fans, the LGT community.

I think we should be positive and support them.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

It's a shame that despite all this money and progress that SL cannot produce one player who would get selected in the Australian side.

Its a shame that despite all this money and progress the MLS/A-League cannot produce one player who would get in the England side. Not really a zinger of a comment is it?

Fwiw, when was the last time a British RL player would have been envied by the Australians, and when was the last before him. 30 years ago? 40?