1. 1. Who will win?

• Scotland by 13 points or more
    • Scotland by 7 to 12 points
    • Scotland by 1 to 6 points
    • Italy by 1 to 6 points
    • Italy by 7 to 12 points
    • Italy by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/10/22 at 14:00

Just now, Wendigo7 said:

Are we not a bit surprised how poor Scotland have been? 
Didn’t expect this to be a blowout. 

No. Can someone remind me when the Golden Age of Scottish RL was.

• Like 1

Just now, Wendigo7 said:

You only get a good idea of international form in a sport that plays regular internationals. You can look at individual club performances, but that doesn't take into account what the coach brings (see Samoa's status as favourites yesterday).

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Wendigo7 said:

They look very disjointed and without a plan. Italy had been in camp for two weeks in Australia prior and played a warm-up and a behind closed doors game.

They looked like they had a plan and executed it excellently. Equally they looked fitter than Scotland - credit to Italy’s backroom staff there. 

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, The Mighty Trin said:

Bad result, but we'll played Matty Russell, Euan Aitken, Liam Hood and Ryan Briarley. Class apart from the rest...too many errors in the camp which you cannot make in International RL. Well done to Italy very impressive 👏 

I thought Aitken was poor.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Scotland were carried by Danny Brough's guile for years - those days are gone I'm afraid 

• Like 3

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

18 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Should I feel stupid for watching the game rather than the stands?

Watched the game as well enjoyed it immensely. I’m just thinking of simple little things that the higher ups could do to make the game more vibrant and appealing to non RL fans . Presenting a World Cup game the TV viewers as being watched by a few hundred when the stand off camera is crammed with 4-5000 people is not the best marketing I would say . 

15 minutes ago, bratman said:

Good player

With his build, he reminds me a bit of Fouad Yaha.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

the ones who are there look to be loving it though and the mascots are all beaming - we cant make horses drink - more fool them

To be fair it looked far better once the match started. The early shots prior to kick off showed a virtually empty stadium but wasn’t the crowd announced as six thousand plus?

2 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

To be fair it looked far better once the match started. The early shots prior to kick off showed a virtually empty stadium but wasn’t the crowd announced as six thousand plus?

yeah, 6300-odd, think they pre-recorded some of the pre-match guff earlier.

• Like 1

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

28 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

They look very disjointed and without a plan. Italy had been in camp for two weeks in Australia prior and played a warm-up and a behind closed doors game.

They looked like they had a plan and executed it excellently. Equally they looked fitter than Scotland - credit to Italy’s backroom staff there. 

Yep, an Emerging Italy played a friendly in Australia, too. Not sure about how many of those players were there today. 

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

Very very happy.
I'll add surprised as on paper this team should be weaker than the 2013 and 2017 one. If I just think about some of the great SL and NRL player who featured... Minichiello's brothers, Laffranchi, Guerra, Vaughan, Alvaro, Ciraldo, Tedesco, Mantellato (we have such a kicker now in Campagnolo!), etc. 
But this team... this team. Huge performance, defended very well, controlled the whole game. 
Happy for Nathan Brown's motm, although Maizen with 3 tries would have deserved too. Nathan led as a captain together with Santi (who captained Italy during the qualification process). 
Of course, the Fiji challenge will be tougher, as it was in 2017 in Canberra (I was there). But good things happen when you work hard...
Happy to mention my friend Celerino, too. He became the 1st Italian domestic player to play World Cup rugby league, after being called up but not used in 2013 and 2017. He's played club football in England (Newcastle!), Aus and France and he's a well deserved honour. 
Also, the late Tiziano comes to mind. This win is for him. 
Well done to Leo and all his staff, as this was a very well prepared and competent Italian team. 

Edited by MatthewWoody
  • Like 4

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

Here was I thinking it would be a good idea to get various other opinions  on what I thought was a decent enough game between two Championship-level sides only to find out that I am bombarded by the regular miseries banging on about TV cameras, standard of commentary, "plastic" Scots.  Still that's Rugby League for you. I am almost certain that the "welcome" ceremony yesterday was designed to break down just in case some folk could find nothing in a 60-6 win to moan about.  The Sunday Mirror even sent their RU man along to do a hatchet job on the event. Can't wait to see what the same folk think about the next game. Crowd, commentators, length of the grass, colours of the shirts. Bring it on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, jacksy said:

I fear for the Scots against the Aussies.

Of course they are massively up against it on the scoreboard. 

But as a Rugby League player, facing the Kangaroos would be a great experience and they should enjoy the experience and be massively nervous in equal measure.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris