Leigh changing their name? Bored journo doing a rumour?

4 minutes ago, burnleywelsh said:

See recent posts.....^^^^

Haven't got time to read it all, got a graphic design business to run...

• Haha 8

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

1 minute ago, Gav Wilson said:

If they didn't do the badge and Ellgren did the kit, what exactly did those marketing gurus do? The PDF?

I feel like asking them on Facebook but don’t really want to comment on another Agencies page it’s a tad unprofessional.

Id like to know which agency ‘designed’ the badge though.

Surely as part of the whole reimaging of the game SL and IMG should be signing off on things like logos at least. If there is one area it is easy to enforce professional standards across the board it's this. You dont need to be an expert to see that the logo isn't going to look good on social media and official releases and that it isn't going to scale well. The whole white on white with the white leopard on the white background just looks poor. Obviously this is one flaw of many!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

And both @leighleopards and @leigh_leopards are available

I have just checked on Go Daddy - you can buy Leigh-Leopards.com for £1.03p for the first year.

Edited by Dunbar

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

44 minutes ago, Stuff Smith said:

Oh my God...

https://www.facebook.com/MCCMKTG/

image.png.138fb148969622ab41dced3342d61a3f.png

Quote: "The feedback has been mixed and negativity always shines over positivity because as human, pessimism unfortunately is in our nature."

The feedback hasn't been mixed.

Didn't realise graveyard johnny was their CEO.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, burnleywelsh said:

Do it.....

I am now the proud owner of leigh-leopards.com

• Haha 9

46 minutes ago, Stuff Smith said:

Oh my God...

Quote: "The feedback has been mixed and negativity always shines over positivity because as human, pessimism unfortunately is in our nature."

"the meaning and vision behind the name change"

They said in their own presentation: it's leopards because the owner likes them. That's not meaning or vision.

I'm still not convinced it's real. Even the font they are using looks amateur.

6 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Is that a subtle hint at their next rebrand as Leigh Lapwings?

😀😀.

Anyway, even if it's all for the wrong reasons, it's the only club being talked about.

Again, for those of you who think it's cheesie......

cheese-1.jpg.525ed1acadd30dcc291857801efc3af5.jpg

52 minutes ago, Stuff Smith said:

Oh my God...

All that marketing speak such as "for a town that needs rejuvenation and new hopes" ain't half condescending.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

MCCM's CEO just happens to be the chairman of Leigh Athletic FC who are based at LSV.

Incidentally it appears he also was involved in Bongos Bingo a few years ago - which should be familiar to any University aged folk!

If it turns out that this rebrand was done by Johnny Bongo then a lot of it suddenly starts making much more sense...

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

MCCM's CEO just happens to be the chairman of Leigh Athletic FC who are based at LSV.

Interestingly, a quick scan over their website shows they don't remotely claim to be experts in actual brand design but in brand placement and that sort of things.

Their main services seem to be videography for social media.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

21 minutes ago, Damien said:

Surely as part of the whole reimaging of the game SL and IMG should be signing off on things like logos at least. If there is one area it is easy to enforce professional standards across the board it's this. You dont need to be an expert to see that the logo isn't going to look good on social media and official releases and that it isn't going to scale well. The whole white on white with the white leopard on the white background just looks poor. Obviously this is one flaw of many!

The NRL and AFL do this really well - every club obviously has its own identity and can use social media and the like how it sees fit. But the names and logos (and colours in the AFL, not sure about NRL) also have to work and be able to fit into the league positioning too.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

26 minutes ago, Simon Hall said:

Literally no thought or care has gone into this Leigh rebrand, he can say all he likes but there's no way a professional designer has been involved in any of it. Might have been someone who wants to be a graphic designer and owns a laptop but no-one who actually earns their money designing anything would churn this out.

I'm graphic designer, and in pure design terms it's a nice bit of work - except it's totally inappropriate.

It would be a great logo for a cricket bat manufacturer, or a nice line in golf apparel. As a RL badge it's all wrong.

You've two choices - you go traditional with a modern twist, Hull or Trinity - or you go cartoon heavy graphics like Leeds or Bradford (some are more subtle than others). Both work.

This is neither, it has no historical reference, no impact, no feeling at all of a tough sport. It's basically a line drawing from an encyclopaedia, whilst the font belongs in a fine arts catalogue.

It's nice yet its all wrong, quite an achievement.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Interestingly, a quick scan over their website shows they don't remotely claim to be experts in actual brand design but in brand placement and that sort of things.

Indeed, from my investigations it seems they are not only relatively new, they are also new to this sort of thing - particularly on the scale of a Super League club.

I'd be wary of attaching myself to this personally, especially if they haven't had creative control or that much input.

1 hour ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Not sure if this has been shared over the previous 28 pages, but this is quite the Btec Business studies presentation slide deck. 

https://indd.adobe.com/view/3d3e261d-1fa5-41de-8aee-f89dad654e96

I've had a long week and this has cheered me up no end. My personal highlights.

Page 4 - Commercialness isn't a word
Page 6 - They spend a page saying the club spelt Centurion wrong on the badge and it should have been Centurian... no they didn't it's definitely Centurion! They've then mixed up Centurion with Centenarian saying Centurion means someone who is 100 years old. I can't believe this, this is the maddest thing I've seen a professional organisation put out. 
Page 8 - They say the name didn't reflect the logo... they're the Centurions with an albeit dated picture of a Centurion I don't understand the issue. I think all of this is caused by a mix up in Derek's head between Centurion and Centenarian compounded by misspellings. It's a play on words that they were 100 years old and chose Centurion, this seems to have absolutely dumfounded the author. 
Page 14 - "the owners open love of the leopard" ahahahaha
Page 16 - He's going on about Centurian [sic] again I can't believe this.
Page 19 - The juniors have a better logo!
Page 22 - There's a lot of mention of "significant investment" at various points of this which reminds me of John Hammond in Jurassic Park saying, "we spared no expense!".
Page 24 - The drawing looks like one of those sketches done for a book about people who have been abducted by aliens. This is the leopard people of Omicron Pesei 7. At significant investment again features. 
Page 25 - Covers pre-match entertainment featuring a man painted up like a Leopard looking like one of those body modification addicts.
Page 26 - More talk of investing in things, this time pre-match entertainment including Elvis seemingly.
Page 28 onwards - Membership scheme, we had this exact scheme at Widnes 10 years ago and dropped it because people cancelled in the off-season and when they rejoined kept getting given replica shirts etc.
Page 33 - "featuring the fearsome yet attractive leopard" keep this man away from the zoo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

1 minute ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

I'm graphic designer, and in pure design terms it's a nice bit of work - except it's totally inappropriate.

It would be a great logo for a cricket bat manufacturer, or a nice line in golf apparel. As a RL badge it's all wrong.

You've two choices - you go traditional with a modern twist, Hull or Trinity - or you go cartoon heavy graphics like Leeds or Bradford (some are more subtle than others). Both work.

This is neither, it has no historical reference, no impact, no feeling at all of a tough sport. It's basically a line drawing from an encyclopaedia, whilst the font belongs in a fine arts catalogue.

It's nice yet its all wrong, quite an achievement.

I’d be interested to know what you think is nice about it design wise, as in my professional opinion it’s absolutely dreadful, it’s literally got nothing good about it.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

https://www.mccmktg.co.uk/services

Scroll down to Creative Support.

They're "Branding Veterans". And no, they don't mean attacking old people with a hot piece of iron...

"MCCM are branding veterans. Our team have generated creative solutions through graphic, illustration and visual content support for hundreds of partners.

Each project needs a different approach, that is why we practice flexibility; hours and budget, to get the best result."

Just now, Chrispmartha said:

I’d be interested to know what you think is nice about it design wise, as in my professional opinion it’s absolutely dreadful, it’s literally got nothing good about it.

Yes, I was very surprised reading that too.

27 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I have just checked on Go Daddy - you can buy Leigh-Leopards.com for £1.03p for the first year.

I'm assuming you've done it 

we should all contribute 1 better design either kit or logo and put then on!

I have clip art and MSPaint.. I recon I can give it a shot!!

4 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Page 33 - "featuring the fearsome yet attractive leopard" keep this man away from the zoo.

"You say you have an open love for leopards, sir?"

• Haha 5