Where does Sculthorpe rank?

I'd go with that, he was a sensational player.

• Like 4

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Not as good as Faz🤪

In all seriousness, he was unbelievable for a spell of 4 or 5 years. Injuries stopped him in his tracks, which was such a shame. It isn’t often I’ve watched us against the Aussies and we’ve had the player on the field who is playing head and shoulders better than everyone else but he did that on a few occasions. He looked like he was made out of granite and it’s so rare that such a tough, uncompromising player,  is that skilful with the ball. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Can't stand the man..the Mrs thinks he is fit 😞

Brilliant player, tough as teak and handsome.

Doesn't look like he has aged a day since he retired.

Spoke to him a couple of years ago and he was unbelievably modest. One of our best.

Edited by jacksy
  • Like 3

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

1 hour ago, Ragingbull said:

He's the only non Bradford related RL player i follow on social media due to the amount of respect I have for the bloke.  One of the best of the summer era undoubtedly. 

Wonder who will be the first Wigan fan to say "not as good as Faz"

Better than any Bulls player, Peacock the exception.

2 hours ago, Welshleaguelover said:

I've been rewatching old Tri-Nations games from the early 2000s.

He doesn't seem to get mentioned much these days but I really believe that Paul Sculthorpe was as good as it gets for a 13.

Genuinely believe he's the best British player of my life time. (I'm only 29)

Great player but I'd say Sam Burgess is the best British player of the past 20 years. IMO, Hanley is the best Brit overall in my lifetime though (I'm 44).

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, SalfordSlim said:

Great player but I'd say Sam Burgess is the best British player of the past 20 years. IMO, Hanley is the best Brit overall in my lifetime though (I'm 44).

I love Burgess but don't think he's separated himself from Graham or Ellis. I also think the Aussies coached his natural game out of him and turned him into a one dimensional battering ram.

The highlights I've seen of Hanley make me wish I was born 20 years earlier. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Welshleaguelover said:

I love Burgess but don't think he's separated himself from Graham or Ellis. I also think the Aussies coached his natural game out of him and turned him into a one dimensional battering ram.

The highlights I've seen of Hanley make me wish I was born 20 years earlier. 

Ellis' career in the NRL puts him above those who didn't test themselves down there.

• Confused 2

He was one of my favourite Pom`s as well. I can remember it like yesterday him putting Carney away with a magic little inside pass from inside your own ten in a Test match in England all those years ago.

Sculthorpe had the whole package. There wasn’t anything he couldn’t do on a rugby field.

The only reason he’s not mentioned as much as other greats of his era, is that he’s quietly retired into the background. Which sort of speaks volumes for his character off the field. I imagine if he was a talented coach he’d be leading England RU against Farrell’s Ireland at the next 6N. 

• Like 1

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

8 hours ago, jacksy said:

Hanley and Schofield were class.

Hanley, the athlete who worked so hard on his physical and mental preparation for the game combined with a freakish running style. Schofield, the natural footballer instinctive off the cuff player superb play maker and (pre1993) searing pace over 40-50 meters( didn’t like to train too hard)

equally in different ways the best if their era 

• Like 2

Great player Sculthorpe but injuries ruined his career, good have been an all time great but his curtailed career probably rules him out. Up there with Morley as a tough forward and Iestyn for skill, Iestyn would be in hall of fame if he had stayed fully in league fulltime, those 4 years at Leeds he was the definition of unplayable sublime.

• Haha 1

As a Wire fan I just wish Harris & Sculthorpe could have come through ten years later, although financially the £700k probably helped keep the club afloat before the new stadium came along.

Both great players.

• Like 4