1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • Samoa by 1 to 6 points
    • Samoa by 7 to 12 points
    • Samoa by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/11/22 at 15:00

10 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Some folks want England/GB to be in every final automatically, like some kind of small-time sport.

Bad news, suckers! The world of RL just expanded (slightly).

It did and it didn't.

Seeing Samoa and Tonga do well is great, but there is a real temporary feel to their success. We're always one decision by Australian officials away from being back to where we were.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, N2022 said:

Problem with this is not just the fact that it diminishes perceived standard of NH RL but the fact that a huge opportunity to engage more general sports fans goes missing, in that far fewer English spectators will be tuning in to the final than had England been in it. I'm in that bracket, having attended as many professional RL games (3) this tournament as I had in a decade since I moved to Yorkshire. Now the men's comp is finished early, flat, and I'm guessing there's little prospect of more internationals in 2023. So with no Sky it's paying to go to SL, which my nearest club seems mainly to play at 8pm on a Thursday. Will I bother with that? Probably not that often, although I've enjoyed following this tournament and the SF have been belting games.

Just being honest.

England getting to and winning the Final would have been great for the sport in this country, but its got to be earned, we weren’t good enough.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Problem with this is not just the fact that it diminishes perceived standard of NH RL but the fact that a huge opportunity to engage more general sports fans goes missing, in that far fewer English spectators will be tuning in to the final than had England been in it. I'm in that bracket, having attended as many professional RL games (3) this tournament as I had in a decade since I moved to Yorkshire. Now the men's comp is finished early, flat, and I'm guessing there's little prospect of more internationals in 2023. So with no Sky it's paying to go to SL, which my nearest club seems mainly to play at 8pm on a Thursday. Will I bother with that? Probably not that often, although I've enjoyed following this tournament and the SF have been belting games.

Just being honest.

So much was reliant on this world cup for RL in this country. England not winning would have been a small problem, not even making the final, given the route, is abjectly dire. On top of everything else that has gone wrong in the mens tournament too.

Sadly RLWC21 has not delivered for Rugby League in England as much as so many hoped it would, mainly because of England and the RFL Organisers.

44 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Not sure anything I say in the aftermath of that will be particularly sensible. But fair to say I'm hoping not to see Radley or that gob##### Welsby in an England shirt again.

Fair play to Samoa, they grafted their guts out and took every opportunity that presented itself. England basically let the first half happen to them and were far too passive for long periods.

We’ll your first sentence was bang on,but your second was just plain stupid.

• Like 1

Just being honest.

Well at least it prepares us for failure in the football/soccer world cup.

A chance to get our depressed comments and emotions practised  about our standing in international soccer since 66.

21 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

A country less populous than Southampton being a relatively big name in rugby just shows what a small game rugby must be, doesn't it.  Then again in the sport which the public at large think of as rugby the likes of Samoa never get past the group stages, all they do is make up the numbers.

No, not really. England is a tiny island compared to most of the planet. New Zealand is, too. 

That’s great for Rugby League in Samoa then that you’re saying their other rugby team aren’t very good. Might mean a greater chance of rugby league growing in Samoa, to add to a World Cup final. 

Samoa going from perennial quarter finalists and getting beat by the first decent team they play to being in a final, having some excellent games against similar nations, beating an established nation like England and having numerous exceptional players in their arsenal is superb for rugby league. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, johnh1 said:

Well I enjoyed the game immensely. And I will be at OT next Saturday supporting Samoa. Should be a great game. Hope everyone turns up to watch TGG at the top level.

Good luck with that. Don't think the £100+ no child price Cat B seats will go now Eng aren't in it. Genuinely do hope you enjoy it though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

Well I enjoyed the game immensely. And I will be at OT next Saturday supporting Samoa. Should be a great game. Hope everyone turns up to watch TGG at the top level.

I'm going, but I'm wholly expecting a walkover just like we got when I went in 2013.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Padge said:

Australian clubs will not release players mid season for any international game.

So who were all those guys playing for NZ, Tonga, Fiji, PNG, Malta, Lebanon and Cook Islands back in June?

• Like 1

Just now, Chrispmartha said:

England getting to and winning the Final would have been great for the sport in this country, but its got to be earned, we weren’t good enough.

To be honest I doubt it would have made much difference. We are a week away from the FIFA World Cup starting and us winning it would have been lost in the media hype of England’s first game 2 days later. 

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

As a standout, this game had as - tension, emotion and passion - the way rugby league should be. The opening game at Newvastle did England no favours. You got the feeling that the boys were already mentally in the final and only realised too late in the last 15-20 minutes that it could be close; and then there were an unexpected number of mistakes. Whitehead for me the best English player. 
Basically, it's alarming when England don't qualify for the final without playing anyone in the top 3. For me, a turning point. The arrogance so far of not playing any other nation except Australia or New Zealand is having an effect. While Australia invests in the entire Pacific region and thus strengthens nations like Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, England does nothing in the NH. Investment in Wales, Scotland, Ireland not there. Development Officer there - dropped. Test matches with France - nope. French, Welsh, Scottisch, Irish Teams in SL... nah...
In a few years England will be happy to have reached a semi-final.

I hope IMG can change a bit

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

That is what it boils down to. England really didn't deserve to win that today and whilst I would have been delighted if they had nipped it at the end it would have been a travesty. Samoa deserved it today.

• Like 3

For those who are not serious followers of the game, I wish to inform you that Stephen Crichton won the 2021 NRL Grand Final for Penrith with an intercept try similar to the one he scored today for Samoa. The difference was that the 2021 intercept was of a long cut out pass by South Sydney's star five eighth Cody Walker, when Souths had a chance of scoring. Had Walker not tried a cut out pass, and just passed to  the next player in line, Crichton would not have intercepted and Souths, who had an overlap, may have scored a try.

Today Radley's pass was a short one to the next player in line, and thus was much harder for Crichton to pull off. But as we saw tonight, Stephen Crichton -- born in Apia, Samoa --- is a top class player who can pull off match winning plays. And it was not Crichton's intercept of Radley's pass that won Samoa the game today. Subsequently George Williams' break leading to Herbie Farnworth's second try leveled the scores. It was Crichton's impressive field goal in extra time that won the game..

Edited by Bradman Better
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mojo said:

He did get sent off 🙄 the ref was shocking

A sin bin is not a send off.  One is for 10 mins the other is for the rest of the game.  I'm sure you know that but your just trying to be a _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ .

Sutton had a reasonable game by his standards.  No blame can be attached to him for the loss.  Too many individual mistakes by England today.  Poor Kallum Watkins has been in excellent form for Salford all season and was one of the best on the pitch in the first game against Samoa but today he had a poor game.  Bombed one try and was at fault for both tries in the first half. 

Just now, Derwent said:

To be honest I doubt it would have made much difference. We are a week away from the FIFA World Cup starting and us winning it would have been lost in the media hype of England’s first game 2 days later. 

Disagree - I think the final would have drawn a lot of TV fans and a win would have been a huge boost

• Like 2

Tomkins 5  Young 6  Watkins 4  Farnworth 8   Makinson 7 Welsby 4 Williams 7  Burgess*  7 McIlorum  4    Hill  7 Whitehead 8  Bateman 5  Radley 6

Knowles  4 Thompson 4  Cooper  5  McMeeken* 5

*Should have had more gametime

Flair 5 Imagination 3 Use of Wingers in Attack  3 Tactical Kicking 5 Anger 3

I wasn't expecting to watch Kearball.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

7 minutes ago, N2022 said:

Just being honest.

I don't think population is a factor. You only need 17 players. It's not asking much. 

15 minutes ago, Derwent said:

They really weren’t. Neither team were anywhere near the standard they’d like. Despite the nail biting excitement aspect it was an error strewn game where both sides were guilty of some howlers.

Error strewn but more importantly wrong option strewn 

Never seen competing sets so freely ignored as a strategy 

49 minutes ago, Roy Haggerty said:

Makinson, Whitehead, Bateman, Farnworth, Radley, all played to their potential. Hard to say with McMeeken because of the lack of minutes. Young, Welsby, Williams, Watkins, McIlorum well below standard. The rest were so-so. 

There's a generation of England players who won't be there in 2025, and the worry is who do we have as replacements.

Makinson is the exception but I don't think it's a coincidence the rest have experience of playing in the NRL.

Disagree - I think the final would have drawn a lot of TV fans and a win would have been a huge boost

People watching it is one thing, trying to keep that momentum up against the football juggernaut is something else. 

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

What happened to the Set Restart Hooter? Samoa laid on in the tackle and used an unnecessary third tackler throughout that game.

England players being held down should have lashed out with their feet. Force that ref to make a decision. He can't send all thirteen off.

• Like 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

18 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

Obviously so.

But how many times can we hear "Sack Kear/Waite/McNamara/Wane/etc" before we accept there might be a wider problem? 

Well yes the best atheletes as they grow up tend to go to other sports here... Australia it being the top sport there tend to play RL.

It's were the focus and rewards are.

Simples really whatever organisational aspect one may come up with.