England v Tonga series

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

1. St Helens stadium has a capacity of 18,000.

2. The recent game between Wigan and Saints attracted a crowd of over 24, 000 to the DW Stadium.

3. An international between England and Tonga would be of interest to fans of other clubs with players in the England team as well as to fans of St Helens and Wigan.

4. I can't quote numbers but certainly on here there has been a demand for international games involving southern hemisphere countries.

5. The sales and marketing ideas and plan, including ticket prices, warm up games/entertainment etc would be broadly the same for games in the north or anywhere else, for that matter.

6. Posters on here have remarked numerous times on the value of televising games from crowded stadiums compared with half empty stadiums.

7. The successful collective and coordinated action by the sports authorities clubs, players, media and fans to generate three full houses will show the NRL, the national media and potential fans that we CAN organise a ######-up in a brewery, one worth participating in.  It will provide a scalable template for future tours and expansion.

8.That is why it is my opinion that if the sport as a whole doesn't do a proper job and doesn't sell out all three games, we might as well pack it in.

It is all great to say "St Helens just had a massive crowd" - "Demand for SH teams" -

Tonga played PNG there last year in the WC and attracted 10,000. They played Wales and got 7,000 and the World Champions Australia managed to attract the huge number of 5,500 for their match against Italy. They are pitiful attendances. 

But I am sure those same St Helens and Wigan fans that attended their big match on Easter will all be going to watch England Vs Tonga at the TW Stadium, not the stadium where they got 24k to watch them.

Existing fans in the North just don't seem that interested in International RL, whether that is England or other counties - Or at least they don't tend to come out in big numbers for them.

I mentioned previously on this forum about the sheer amount of England RU tops I saw at the Semi Final in the WC, the majority of that crowd didn't travel down from the North I would have guessed. 

Just because London doesn't seem to be able to work at club level at this moment does not mean that internationals don't excel down here. 

• Like 12

You've got to love the RFL.. ticketing map on their website shows 3 stadiums.. or does it..... it shows the Totally Wicked twice and not headingly.. seriously the person putting that together had one job!

spacer.png

just in case they actually clean it up and the link above changes... 

Untitled.png

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I love the Big Smoke - it’s like the world encapsulated in a city!

Definitely would have made the effort too to make a weekend of it.

No offence to the good people of Huddersfield, but there’s not quite as much going on!

I've bought to go to Huddersfield with my son.. was always going to do at least one as we were both excited when they announced the series.. we'll go, I'm sure we will have a good time and hopefully a good match. Its probably the closest to us in and out and the 2nd test will still have something riding on it guaranteed so should be good. 

Talking to some mates this Sunday night though, the same ones i got along to Bramall Lane for the Greece match. They aren't that fussed about it or going to Huddersfield etc but they all said if it was at Bramall Lane they would have gone (of course) and if it was in London we would have gone down as families the wives and daughters would have gone to a show while we went to whatever stadium we needed to (4 more dads and lads)... so the RFL have at least saved me some cash!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Click said:

It is all great to say "St Helens just had a massive crowd" - "Demand for SH teams" -

Tonga played PNG there last year in the WC and attracted 10,000. They played Wales and got 7,000 and the World Champions Australia managed to attract the huge number of 5,500 for their match against Italy. They are pitiful attendances. 

But I am sure those same St Helens and Wigan fans that attended their big match on Easter will all be going to watch England Vs Tonga at the TW Stadium, not the stadium where they got 24k to watch them.

Existing fans in the North just don't seem that interested in International RL, whether that is England or other counties - Or at least they don't tend to come out in big numbers for them.

I mentioned previously on this forum about the sheer amount of England RU tops I saw at the Semi Final in the WC, the majority of that crowd didn't travel down from the North I would have guessed. 

Just because London doesn't seem to be able to work at club level at this moment does not mean that internationals don't excel down here. 

May I refer you to the point I made earlier:-successful collective and coordinated action by the sports authorities clubs, players, media....

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

3 hours ago, Click said:

I’ll have mates who won’t go the Tonga series but they’ll make a comment about the poor crowds(if they are poor). I just say to them

“WELL WHY DIDN'T YOU GO THEN”. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

May I refer you to the point I made earlier:-successful collective and coordinated action by the sports authorities clubs, players, media....

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

Yes.

And always playing poorly with executed events at the same grounds over and over again is the working definition of always doing what we always did.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Yes.

And always playing poorly with executed events at the same grounds over and over again is the working definition of always doing what we always did.

Agreed. That's why I chose my words so carefully.

11 hours ago, JohnM said:

A missed opportunity for sure....to see the game played in front of a sparse crowd in London.  How about a reset: all games of this much-needed and much-welcomed International series in three small to medium stadiums in a region that has proved that certain club matches can fill such stadiums.  

If we can't play these games in front of full houses, then really, what IS the point?

Huddersfield…,really?

• Like 1

On 01/05/2023 at 16:17, Gomersall said:

So, just had a look at the seating at Huddersfield and it looks like the top tier of the Core stand isn’t open yet. Another case of the RFL not letting people book the seats they want until they decide the stand is fully open? I’ve been here before when England played New Zealand at the Olympic stadium in 2015. I wasn’t too chuffed about it then either. Is it so difficult to fully open a stadium that the RFL feel is right for this size of event?

Strangely the top section of the Core stand appears to have single seats available in each section. Yes, you heard that right. One seat in each section is available to buy. Anyone else struggling to use the stadium seating plan website? I’m using safari on an iPad and it’s awful to navigate around the stadium seating plan.

Next generation of Tongan stars coming through. Huge wraps on this kid coming up through the age groups. Made his debut aged 19 this weekend gone. Expect this bloke to be on the plane later this year.

It was an emotional call back home: Finefeuiaki |

CowboysFine debut for Finefeuiaki | NRL.com

Edited by The Rocket
  • Like 1

On 01/05/2023 at 08:39, Barley Mow said:

Paul, could you tell us more about this mess that is left behind after the world cup?

Most people seem to think that it was neither a great success nor a great failure. I've only heard you suggest that it has left behind a 'mess' that could potentially threaten the game's financial standing in Britain.

What are the details of what you've heard, and from where?

You might have missed my post above @ATLANTISMAN. Can you give us some more information on the mess the world cup has left?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

I wish i didnt see the words "Great" and "Britain" in these types of articles any more.. England should tour down under definitely... and if Wales want to tour and play some nations down there then that is also fine (same for Ireland and Scotland) I cant see it happening but that is fine but can we please stop mentioning GB its done and its a distraction.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RP London said:

I wish i didnt see the words "Great" and "Britain" in these types of articles any more.. England should tour down under definitely... and if Wales want to tour and play some nations down there then that is also fine (same for Ireland and Scotland) I cant see it happening but that is fine but can we please stop mentioning GB its done and its a distraction.

Disagree.......it should be GB

• Confused 1

On 02/05/2023 at 15:43, Click said:

Yet the RFL see fit to organise 4 international games across the North.

Someone is clearly completely wrong here... You, or the RFL. 

Surely 1 random punter cannot know more than the sport's national governing body?

I guess we will find out! 

39 minutes ago, Bring back GB said:

Disagree.......it should be GB

Absolutely and utterly not... I am a fan of everything GB used to be but right now it would be a horrific mistake of epic proportions to go down that road again.. it will not sell to the public, it makes no sense at a time when we are trying to build "England" and there is not a single none English player anywhere near the team.. lets stop the utter nonsense of even mentioning it.. its done, its dead and lets mourn it and move on. 

There is not one single redeeming feature of touring as GB.... the only thing of "its GB, it'll sell" was put to bed on the last horrifically embarrassing tour... If its the shirt then make the shirt the England shirt, as can the badge (and i'm fine with that) and move on.

Edited by RP London
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

That’s unfair. I don’t think local attendances are that relevant for internationals. People travel for these games; you don’t rely just on locals. 

absolutely.. I will be at the John Smiths with my son and, as an Eagle, I wouldn't go if you paid me normally

On 10/05/2023 at 11:24, Henson Park Old Firm said:

This is exactly what should be happening. Test series against Tonga, Samoa, Australia and NZ between WCs. That gives English players and fans something to look forward to each year. When they come here they can take on France and a home nation as warm up games and when we go over we play a couple of warm up games against a Pacific Islands team that isn’t involved.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

This is exactly what should be happening. Test series against Tonga, Samoa, Australia and NZ between WCs. That gives English players and fans something to look forward to each year. When they come here they can take on France and a home nation as warm up games and when we go over we play a couple of warm up games against a Pacific Islands team that isn’t involved.

I think the main problem this highlights is that one international window a year isn't enough. Not when the game is split across hemispheres like it is. 

We should have 2 windows, one with tests down under, 1 with tests here. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I’ve been checking back on the RFL website to see if the top tiers are open at the John Smith’s stadium. I then noticed the pricing map of each stadium and there currently isn’t any proviso to open the top tiers at the JSS as they are blacked out in the graphic. Does anyone know what the capacity reduction is if these tiers remain closed? See RP London’s post above.