Challenge Cup Semi Final Venue

Still no semi final venue announced as far as I’m aware. It seems remarkably tin pot not to know where the games will be played, particularly as the quarter finals have already been played. The RFL get slated unfairly at times imho but this seems strange. 

Back when the FA Cup semi finals were played in outside Wembley it was not uncommon to take a week for the venues to be announced.

Granted it was more often than not Old Trafford and Villa Park. (Not that I am suggesting in any way either of those here! 😀)

Edited by Black Country Wire
  • Like 1

Last new RL ground (96): Queensway Stadium - North Wales v South Wales 25/6/17

9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Still no semi final venue announced as far as I’m aware. It seems remarkably tin pot not to know where the games will be played, particularly as the quarter finals have already been played. The RFL get slated unfairly at times imho but this seems strange. 

There will be two semi final venues as it has been announced that each will be a mens SF and a womens SF as a double header on consecutive days. As Wigan and Saints are both in separate SFs in each competition I expect they will pair the two Wigan games and the two Saints games. I would expect Hull KR v Wigan and Leeds v Wigan (womens) to be played in Yorkshire, probably at Huddersfield (to avoid Leeds women being given a home SF), and Leigh v Saints and Saints v York Valkyrie to be played at Wigan or the HJ. They will only have been able to confirm them since about 7pm yesterday so it isn't as if the RFL have been sitting on their hands waiting for days.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, The 4 of Us said:

And hopefully Wigan - HKR at Headingley. 

I would expect it will be paired with the Leeds v Wigan womens SF (as they are doing a mens and  womens as a double header) and that as a result it would shift to Huddersfield to remain fully neutral.

6 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

I would expect it will be paired with the Leeds v Wigan womens SF (as they are doing a mens and  womens as a double header) and that as a result it would shift to Huddersfield to remain fully neutral.

Possibly yes, but hope not. My wife ran the Leeds marathon a few weeks back and it was good to see the place looking so good (remaining terrace aside!) 

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

42 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Isn’t it two venues, instead of one? I’m sure I read that the double header had been scrapped. 

I suspect Saints v Leigh will be at Warrington. 

Fair enough I hadn’t clocked that it’s not a double header this year, my apologies to the RFL.  But yes, if Warrington isn’t used for that game I’ll eat my hat. 

To be fair the quarter finals only finished late on Sunday and the difference between York and Leigh would probably mean certain venues would be more suitable.

Reckon negotiations would have been made prior and now is a case of confirming.

Glad it’s not a double header as I don’t think it worked except for TV as it would have lowered their productions costs.

I would expect Wigan-Hull KR at Headingley and Leigh-St Helens at Warrington.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

To be fair the quarter finals only finished late on Sunday and the difference between York and Leigh would probably mean certain venues would be more suitable.

Reckon negotiations would have been made prior and now is a case of confirming.

Glad it’s not a double header as I don’t think it worked except for TV as it would have lowered their productions costs.

I would expect Wigan-Hull KR at Headingley and Leigh-St Helens at Warrington.

Maybe 8k in for each game? 

• Like 1

Those venues are fine, and nobody will miss out on account of the venues being announced at 11.30am on 19th June instead of at 7am on 19th June. Both fixtures are over a month away.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Yes. Surely better to wait to see what the games are before announcing where they will be played. And confirmation presumably has to be made with the club's hosting the semis and the police and medical services. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Sensible choices. However I do think there is an argument that the women are being disrespected by not having Wigan v Leeds at a neutral venue. We wouldn't do that for the men's game.

Personally I don't see the big deal in waiting until you know who is in the semi finals before choosing a venue. It's the correct approach to me.

• Like 2

Just read that Headingley has a capacity of only 19,700, is this correct?

Even if Wigan only bring around 1,500 like they did to Doncaster in 2016, there will be at least 20,000 Hull KR fans who'll not be able to get tickets for the game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
                                                                  :kolobok_sad:   Hull FC....The Sons of God....  :kolobok_sad:
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

21 minutes ago, Damien said:

Sensible choices. However I do think there is an argument that the women are being disrespected by not having Wigan v Leeds at a neutral venue. We wouldn't do that for the men's game.

Personally I don't see the big deal in waiting until you know who is in the semi finals before choosing a venue. It's the correct approach to me.

Leeds women may get an advantage from being at Headingley, but it is also possible that Wigan will get an advantage because they are likely to have fans travelling to watch the men who wouldn't ordinarily watch the women and will arrive early for the women's match - it could be quite even, from a crowd size point of view at least.

I think Saints women will have the biggest advantage - a double header with their men and at a ground considerably closer to St Helens than York.

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Barley Mow said:

Leeds women may get an advantage from being at Headingley, but it is also possible that Wigan will get an advantage because they are likely to have fans travelling to watch the men who wouldn't ordinarily watch the women and will arrive early for the women's match - it could be quite even, from a crowd size point of view at least.

It wouldnt happen for the men, it shouldn't for the women. It is not a neutral venue. 

You also severely overestimate the appeal of double headers and the amount of people that will travel to Leeds 3 hours earlier to then spend 5 hours in Headingley stadium. This has been shown time and again.

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

It wouldnt happen for the men, it shouldn't for the women. It is not a neutral venue. 

You also severely overestimate the appeal of double headers and the amount of people that will travel to Leeds 3 hours earlier to then spend 5 hours in Headingley stadium. This has been shown time and again.

You may be right - I actually went to York yesterday but only in time for the men's match.

Neither venue for the women's semi's are anywhere near equidistant to the teams taking part.

Edited by Barley Mow