‘middle class’ clubs?

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Personally, I believe that there is one true sign for 'middle class' and that is the ability to buy nice wine and keep it.  For when you entertain etc.

I have never cracked this.  I am capable of buying nice wine but incapable of not just drinking it.

I think it's when you are willing to pay £5 for a pint. 

4 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

If I'm not paying £5 a pint here, I'm not drinking.  And that's a sacrifice I'm not willing to make.

Even if it makes me middle class.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

If I'm not paying £5 a pint here, I'm not drinking.  And that's a sacrifice I'm not willing to make.

Even if it makes me middle class.

To be fair, it's £3.50 -£4.00 for hand-pulled beer in decent pubs West Yorkshire.

It's cheaper in pubs where people just go to drink. I suppose that's where the middle class / true working class divide is most obvious in Bradford.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

22 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

There are some "posher" clubs at amateur level, but generally in my experience it has been a case of working class, a bit rough, and very rough. Even in expansion areas we seem to gravitate towards more "challenging" areas - are Easterhouse Panthers still going?

The contrast with Union up north is startling - and is partly why Union still maintains such a strong hold here. At many League clubhouses the opposition can't wait to leave after a match, in Union it often seemed like the main reason we were there. They are often in long standing wealthier areas too which helps. Obviously its not every club, but every rule has its exceptions. 

You can't get much Opp North then Hartepool and despiye having a pro Soccer clubs and a population of 90,000 it has 6 Rugby Union clubs and is rough as a badger.

5 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Ah, Mr Young Baron.  I was brought up in Airedale and played for Redhill so I might have played against your father, Mr Old Baron, in the 1980’s.

Even us from Airedale kept well clear of Cutsyke!

Lived in Glasshoughton in the 80s before moving to middle class York. Played for Travs in Fev as a young un but gave it up for hockey! 

• Like 2

From an Aussie perspective we are talking Sea Eagles, Roosters & Sharks.

The Tigers are very middle class when playing at Leichardt, but they grow an extra head and lose all their teeth when they play at Campbelltown.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, EggFace said:

You can't get much Opp North then Hartepool and despiye having a pro Soccer clubs and a population of 90,000 it has 6 Rugby Union clubs and is rough as a badger.

Hartlepool's two main RU clubs - Rovers and West - tend to attract the town's more affluent element. West's former ground, Brierton Lane (now housing), was in one of the nicer parts of town (as RU grounds, unlike their football and RL counterparts, always seem to be).

There were at least two amateur rugby league clubs in Hartlepool fairly recently. Are they still going (the RFL website suggests not)?

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 2

On 22/07/2023 at 14:15, OriginalMrC said:

Me and my wife genuinely began to question our social standing the other week when we bought two pints for £11 and considered it good value. Worrying behaviour. 

• Like 2

On 22/07/2023 at 18:51, ATLANTISMAN said:

6.60 a pint for IPA here at Roslyn Park ridiculous.

Thank god i am in Wigan next Saturday 

They were giving away cans of IPA in that little tent near the entrance ....you should have grabbed one.....also got a aboymut 6 of those free sports drinks they were passing out 

On 22/07/2023 at 14:31, Wolford6 said:

To be fair, it's £3.50 -£4.00 for hand-pulled beer in decent pubs West Yorkshire.

It's cheaper in pubs where people just go to drink. I suppose that's where the middle class / true working class divide is most obvious in Bradford.

Spoons it is..... the death of amaeur Sports

On 21/07/2023 at 16:39, sweaty craiq said:

Leigh’s very middle class these days, only detached new houses and sitting Tory MP.

Is HS2 stopping there?

• Haha 1

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

On 21/07/2023 at 16:28, dkw said:

Workington Towns unofficial nickname originally was Workington Bullington Oxbridge Hoity toyts, we're twinned with Camburhford collegateiversity.

Dead posh up here. 

Workington is a Tory enclave. They're much close to the Bullingdon Club ideologically than you might think.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Billy King's Boots said:

Workington is a Tory enclave. They're much close to the Bullingdon Club ideologically than you might think.

We aren't, we just have a disgusting moronic Tory MP who got in on the back of lying and playing up to a minority. He's getting binned the next election hopefully. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Back on topic, it kind of depends on how you define "middle class" . There are palpable differencers in disposable income between the north and south.

To give an example, in the late 1990's before the club was relegated and franchised the original AFC Wimbledon was the worst supported club in the Soccer Premier League. Yet the disposable income of its fans was greater than most of their northern opponents

https://www.quora.com/Which-English-football-team-has-the-poshest-fans

But if you think that applies to the two Southern most clubs, I have to report that whatever remains of the fan base are like myself, non-public school educated and in the just-aboutr-managing group. It was not always the case though as during the Harlquins RL era the club did indeed draw some more well heeled support than it does now.

Having a bougoise fan base means more money for the game..

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both