Sat 12th Aug: Men's Challenge Cup Final: Hull KR v Leigh Leopards KO 15:00 (BBC)

Who will win?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull KR by 13 points or more
    • Hull KR by 7 to 12 points
    • Hull KR by 1 to 6 points
    • Leigh Leopards by 1 to 6 points
    • Leigh Leopards by 7 to 12 points
    • Leigh Leopards by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/08/23 at 14:30

Obviously it would have been massive for the sport to have a Saints v Wigan derby for the big day out. Refreshing though to have two less-fancied, less successful teams at Wembley.

Both sets of fans really throw full support behind their team and both are playing well in 2023. Bodes well for an enjoyable cup final, even if it won't cut through like a Saints-Wigan game.

Leigh are marginal favourites in my book. Hull KR will be rested up though after giving their main players last weekend off.

The Robins to win, in a close one - 22-18.

• Confused 1

It's probably based on my experiences of watching Wigan against both sides this season but I fancy HKR to get the job done. Both sides have had unbelievable seasons but I just think a few really experienced heads in the HKR line up, like Hall, SKD, Linnett, Parcell etc will tip it their way. It really is a 50/50 game though and no result would massively surprise me.

It should be a fantastic occasion. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WN83 said:

...I just think a few really experienced heads in the HKR line up, like Hall, SKD, Linnett, Parcell etc will tip it their way. It really is a 50/50 game though and no result would massively surprise me.

10 players at Leigh with 21 Challenge Cup final appearances and 10 wins, 1 Lance Todd Trophy, 8 Super League Grand Final wins, 1 NRL Grand Final win and 2 World Club Challenge wins. Think there's plenty of experience of finals and winning in there 🙂

• Tom Briscoe 5 Challenge Cup Final appearances, 3 wins, 1 Lance Todd trophy. 2 SL GF wins
  • Josh Charnley 4 Challenge Cup Final appearances, 3 wins. 3 SL GF wins
  • Zak Hardaker 3 Challenge Cup Final appearances, 2 wins. 3 SL GF wins, 1 WCC win
  • Jack Hughes 3 Challenge Cup Final appearances, 1 win
  • Oliver Holmes 2 Challenge Cup Final appearances
  • Matt Davis 1 Challenge Cup Final appearance
  • Ricky Leutele 1 Challenge Cup Final appearance
  • Gareth O’Brien 1 Challenge Cup Final appearance
  • Ava Seumanufagai 1 Challenge Cup win
  • John Asiata 1 NRL GF win, 1 WCC win
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, mick the leyther said:

10 players at Leigh with 21 Challenge Cup final appearances and 10 wins, 1 Lance Todd Trophy, 8 Super League Grand Final wins, 1 NRL Grand Final win and 2 World Club Challenge wins. Think there's plenty of experience of finals and winning in there 🙂

• Tom Briscoe 5 Challenge Cup Final appearances, 3 wins, 1 Lance Todd trophy. 2 SL GF wins
  • Zak Hardaker 3 Challenge Cup Final appearances, 2 wins. 3 SL GF wins, 1 WCC win

That's impressive researching right there. I didn't say Leigh have no experience by the way, I just have a feeling HKR will win the game and think guys like Hall, SKD, Linnett, Parcell etc will play a big part in that. My judgement is probably clouded by our meetings with them this year, verses the meetings against Leigh. They have been dogged, tough to breakdown, have taken their chances and shown real steel in those games against us. I think they look well suited to a tense cup final match up but we'll see how it goes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WN83 said:

That's impressive researching right there. I didn't say Leigh have no experience by the way, I just have a feeling HKR will win the game and think guys like Hall, SKD, Linnett, Parcell etc will play a big part in that. My judgement is probably clouded by our meetings with them this year, verses the meetings against Leigh. They have been dogged, tough to breakdown, have taken their chances and shown real steel in those games against us. I think they look well suited to a tense cup final match up but we'll see how it goes. 

Cheers - Challenge Cup numbers came from an article on the Leigh web site, the rest from Wikipedia.

Give that Wigan have been blowing hot & cold all season, it's difficult to judge other teams based on their performances against Wigan. Leigh's worst matches this season, by a stretch, have both been against Wigan (and possibly Wigans best performances have come against Leigh). That being said, Wigan have been truly horrible in a few games too...

As for my prediction - Leigh have tons of experience, are relatively healthy, have lost just 2 games in more than 3 month, have beat KR home & away this season and have yet to lose to any Yorkshire club. I'm comfortable predicting a 12-16 point Leigh win. Could be tighter due to the nature of finals, but Leigh would need to underperform significantly to lose this one IMHO.

• Like 2

Interestingly, this is going to be the 5th time in 7 seasons we've played Hull KR in the challenge cup and this will be first time in this period that we've actually been in the same division as each other. 

2017 - Leigh 10 - 23 Hull KR

2019 - Hull KR 14 - 10 Leigh

2020 - Hull KR 22 - 19 Leigh

2022 - Hull KR 24 - 18 Leigh

As for 2023, we certainly owe them one in the CC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, WN83 said:

I don't think it's any coincidence that the teams to beat us this year (Wigan x2, Cats x2, Salford x2 and Wire) all have at least 1 player with electric pace. We're a very well organized team defensively however we look nervous whenever playing against a French/Field/Johnstone/Brierley/Ashton and become a lot more passive as a result. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mick the leyther said:

Cheers - Challenge Cup numbers came from an article on the Leigh web site, the rest from Wikipedia.

Give that Wigan have been blowing hot & cold all season, it's difficult to judge other teams based on their performances against Wigan. Leigh's worst matches this season, by a stretch, have both been against Wigan (and possibly Wigans best performances have come against Leigh). That being said, Wigan have been truly horrible in a few games too...

As for my prediction - Leigh have tons of experience, are relatively healthy, have lost just 2 games in more than 3 month, have beat KR home & away this season and have yet to lose to any Yorkshire club. I'm comfortable predicting a 12-16 point Leigh win. Could be tighter due to the nature of finals, but Leigh would need to underperform significantly to lose this one IMHO.

I admire your confidence. I think it’s a great final because it is an absolute 50/50 IMO. The bookies have Leigh as slight favourites and that’s fair enough on the season as a whole.   I’d be surprised if there is more than 6 points in it either way. 

Edited by WN83
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, WN83 said:

I admire your confidence. I think it’s a great final because it is an absolute 50/50 IMO. The bookies have Leigh as slight favourites and that’s fair enough on the season as a whole.   I’d be surprised if there is more than 6 points in it either way. 

It could be tight - but I'd be just as confident if it is as this Leigh side has been very good at grinding out tight wins too. I agree with @LeytherRob that the teams who really threaten us have at least one player with out-and-out pace. Leigh don't currently have an answer to that, but KR don't carry that threat.

I'd be gutted if Leigh lose but I'll be happy for the KR fans. Both clubs can win it, but I'm confident because of what I have seen from this Leigh side every week. I'm not typically bullish about Leigh's chances, but I see what we've got and it's special. A little more time together, a larger squad and a little more talent in the right places and it could be spectacular.

If KR win then I'll be gutted, but I'll be happy for their fans too. I think Leigh & KR have shared a lot of hard times over the last 30 years and I know how much they would appreciate the win.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

Very much looking forward to it. A rare final where I don't have any preference at all regarding who wins. Fancy Hull KR to win it but can't really explain why!

Let's hope this rarity becomes more of the norm and more teams who haven't graced Wembley for many years get to the final.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mick the leyther said:

Great work. You forget how many of the less fashionable names (no disrespect intended) actually play in the big games. 

Anyone going to do the do the same for Rovers squad?

12 hours ago, Chris22 said:

Very much looking forward to it. A rare final where I don't have any preference at all regarding who wins. Fancy Hull KR to win it but can't really explain why!

yes, a grand day out , i have no prefference to who wins any of the 3 finals i will just sit there and enjoy with no pressure for a change.👍

• Like 1

Ryan Hall warming up for victory by doing a young fan's Rubiks Cube for him before getting on the coach...

• Like 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

13 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Let's hope this rarity becomes more of the norm and more teams who haven't graced Wembley for many years get to the final.

Fully agree. I think what this final has shown is that it's all well and good having a salary cap, which should level the playing field to a degree but if you don't have people at the back of you, who will finance not only spending up to that cap but also invest in the right coaching team and support staff, it's unlikely we'll have too many finalists like this. The people involved in running both clubs deserve this final, just as Ken Davy did last year. When it comes to people like Davy, Beaumont and the guys at HKR, it's a case of more the merrier. Let's hope more investment comes in to the game on the back of a cracking season to date. 

• Like 2

Looking forward to watching this, albeit on catch up sometime as i have my grandkids for a Saturday afternoon out and sleepover, hopefully i'll manage to avoid seeing the scoreline though i never usually manage it.

Not fussed who wins as long as it's a good advert and the Rovers fans don't swear too much.