London Skolars

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Yorks Tim said:

This is awful news for League 1. Best wiishes for everyone at the club though and I hope they keep going in one form or another.

Inevitable given lack of funding. 

2024 fixtures away at Newcastle, Workington, Whitehaven and Cornwall would cost the club £7k per game (if they lose). So £28k for four away games - RFL funding for the season is £15k. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I feel desperately sorry for Skolars and their fans - anyone who's ever been to one of their Friday Night Lights games on Challenge Cup weekend will know that there's a small hardcore of people down there who love the game and try to put on an event with limited means - a barbecue, a mini beer festival, a bit of music etc. Great fun.

The lack of adequate funding for clubs below SL is starting to have an effect. L1 is becoming unsustainable.

Is this the unwritten plan? Slow death by starvation?

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

My first trip to London Skolars was Crosfields’ first game in the NCL. Had a few visits there afterwards plus one watching Widnes in a cup game. It’s a sad ending, although not surprising in the end. I hope they consider the NCL again if they get enough funding for the travel 

• Like 1

South Wales, West Wales, Coventry, Oxford, Hemel, All Golds, Skolars all gone from league 1. What an absolute disaster this is. 

Feel sorry for Skolars fans. I hope like Hemel, All Golds and Coventry the club can continue as a community club. 

Many at the top of the sport won't be worried though. This is all part of managed decline to cut away what they consider deadwood. 

• Like 8

Just now, sam4731 said:

Do the Broncos need to be worried? How much of their pathway came through the Skolars?

Depends if they fold completely or successfully transition back to amateur like Hemel have done and are now doing well, according to those in the know. 

It's obviously sad news, but a collection of strong southern community clubs may actually be better for the game down here than weak L1 clubs traveling the length of the country each week to get battered. Not every club needs to be professional.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Depends if they fold completely or successfully transition back to amateur like Hemel have done and are now doing well, according to those in the know. 

It's obviously sad news, but a collection of strong southern community clubs may actually be better for the game down here than weak L1 clubs traveling the length of the country each week to get battered. Not every club needs to be professional.

And is this collection of strong southern community clubs in the room with you now?

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

This is very sad. For their fans, players and those who have given money and time to keep the club going.

As a Cov Bears fan, there was always something special about games between the two sides.

Yet another name for the list of former/defunct RL sides.

I am a devout expansionist, but now believe that expansion without direction, strategy and funding from the top is unsustainable.

League 1 is shrinking alarmingly and looking very fragile now.

Edited by Tattersfieldtreiziste
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

And is this collection of strong southern community clubs in the room with you now?

Of course not. I'm just reflecting on what our Hemel RL poster said that actually that club has done well since transitioning back to amateur, and is contributing more to southern rugby league as a community club than it was as a struggling "pro" club shipping in players from up north. L1 isn't the be all and end all, especially outside the heartland, so hopefully this doesn't mean the end for Skolars, who've always struggled to compete in the professional ranks.

Edited by Toby Chopra
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

... but a collection of strong southern community clubs may actually be better for the game down here than weak L1 clubs traveling the length of the country each week to get battered. Not every club needs to be professional.

This is exactly the kind of discussion that needs facilitating. But I don't see that anyone who might coordinate such a thing is much bothered.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1