Predicted England Lineups for the Tonga Series

UTK

Unfortunately this season I've rarely managed to find the time to be able to get up early and watch SL games live, usually I'll try get at least a game a round from what we can access here in Aus but that just hasn't been possible this year. While I've still followed the competition and perused highlights, various commentary and statistics, these things only tell half the story. With us now heading into the last couple of rounds and getting closer to International season I find myself ill-equipped to form judgment on the side England are likely to run out for the Tongan series.

While I acknowledge we've still got 6 weeks to run before the series starts, I find this forum to be quite easily the best source of knowledge on all things English RL so would be interested to hear the thoughts of those who are better placed to pass judgment. Any personal lineups, thoughts generally, bolters, contested positions, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

11 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Taking a punt:

1. Welsby 2. Makinson 3. Wardle 4. Farnworth 5. Johnstone 6. Williams 7. Smith 

8. Burgess 9. TBC 10. TBC 11. Whitehead 12. Bateman 13. Radley 

Not sure who I would have at 9 and 10…

You’re leaving Dom Young out ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

12 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Taking a punt:

1. Welsby 2. Makinson 3. Wardle 4. Farnworth 5. Johnstone 6. Williams 7. Smith 

8. Burgess 9. TBC 10. TBC 11. Whitehead 12. Bateman 13. Radley 

Not sure who I would have at 9 and 10…

Think Young would have to get a spot. 

Makinson is a phenomenal player. He'd be one of the very first players in my 17, with Tom Burgess, Welsby, Farnworth, Radley and Williams.

I wouldn't mind seeing Young at right centre, as I really want to see Tom Johnstone given a shot on the left wing. He is enjoying an exceptional season and deserves to be there.

I don't know who partners Williams in the halves. Probably Lomax if he is fit. Hastings is going well in a humming Newcastle team, although I saw he picked up another leg injury over the weekend.

Danny Walker is a good change-up hooker for the bench. I don't know who starts at 9 though.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Damien said:

With Brisbane much improved this year this is a shrewd move:

The year is 2031 and after a successful World Cup, Wales announce former international captain Lee Briers as head coach for their European Cup campaign and tests against Jamaica & South Africa.

… just getting my list ready for Santa. 

19 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Young at right centre

its that time of year to play players out of position again - even positions they may have never played in before - its internationals time 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

20 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Young at right centre, as I really want to see Tom Johnstone given a shot on the left wing. He is enjoying an exceptional season and deserves to be there.

I personally feel that Young could make a better centre than winger in the long term... and I believe he played centre in his junior days.

But he hasn't played centre in first team senior rugby and I don't think a test series is the place to start that.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Hard to pick a team not knowing which NRL players will be available. I did try and pick a team but struggled! We've got a good amount of depth at centre and wing and some quality players will be missing out. But we are struggling quite badly at prop and hooker!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

1. Welsby 2. Young 3. Wardle 4. Farnworth 5. Johnstone 6. Williams 7. Dodd 

8. Burgess 9. Clarke 10. Havard 11. Whitehead 12. McMeekin 13. Radley 

14. Lomax/Smith 15. Bateman/Nicholson 16. Thompson 17. Knowles/Oledski/

I agree with your backs, but I think its time to replace Whitehead due to age and Oledski has been a shadow of the player he was last year. Dont think he got enough pre season in after shoulder surgery. Matt Lees is missing from this squad and it may be worth considering Sam Walters for the bench as he can cover both the middle and an edge.

9 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I personally feel that Young could make a better centre than winger in the long term... and I believe he played centre in his junior days.

But he hasn't played centre in first team senior rugby and I don't think a test series is the place to start that.

Usually I would agree with this sentiment. However, he has played there before. I can't leave any of Johnstone, Makinson or Young out.

I would absolutely love a backline of WELSBY, MAKINSON, YOUNG, HERBIE, JOHNSTONE.

I know Young has played centre at youth level but I can't help but feel it would be turning a potentially exceptional winger into a half decent centre. His pace and acceleration is unbelievable I don't want to see him have more defensive responsibility, I want to see him play with exuberance off the cuff.

• Like 2

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

There seemed some debate on a prop, the best English prop by a country mile at the moment is Robbie Mulhern, as a Leigh fan when I heard that he had been signed for this season I thought WHY, but he has been a revelation a total Mr Consistent it's not just me recognising his form he is strongly tipped to make the Dream Team.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

There seemed some debate on a prop, the best English prop by a country mile at the moment is Robbie Mulhern, as a Leigh fan when I heard that he had been signed for this season I thought WHY, but he has been a revelation a total Mr Consistent it's not just me recognising his form he is strongly tipped to make the Dream Team.

I just popped back to tout Mulhern, and saw that Harry pipped me to it. 

He's been fantastic and thoroughly deserves selection, ahead of bigger-name players like Thompson and Oledski who have had troubled seasons.

20 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

You think he is better than Tom Burgess?

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris