"I'm not watching anymore"

1 minute ago, RigbyLuger said:

Do any of those who say that about any decision made by the RFL actually follow through?

Aren't the same empty vessels always back the following weekend, raging again about (mostly correct) decisions like the one that made them flounce in the first place?

• Like 4

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

While there is plenty melodrama in these 'announcements' , there absolutely are people that walk away from the game. Everyone has that tipping point. 

There ain't much that gets me so riled that I think of sacking the game off, but more and more I feel that the sport doesn't really care too much about the fans, and I find myself caring about the sport less and less. I'm perfectly happy to do other things at weekends, and I look around at other sports for major events far more now. 

But I also accept that some of that is just my changes in circumstances, age, family etc. 

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 5

Laurie Nichols was Balmain's singlet-wearing, shadow-boxing superfan for years. If you've ever seen old RL footage from Down Under, you may have seen him. He adored the club and they loved him right back.

He turned his back on the merged Balmain/Wests, but finally admitted in an interview that his attitude was softening and he might actually go to a game again.

He died a few days later, without that reconciliation which would have meant so much.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The bring back the biff one's tickle me, "bring back the biff get the crowds back". when the game was at it's worst for the biff it had it's lowest crowds, if they drift off it will probably be to watch cage fighting. Goodbye.

Most rant, sober up, continue is if nothing had happened.

• Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

2 minutes ago, dboy said:

Sort of.

I dumped Sky cos it's SL coverage is not worth the money.

Does that count?

Not really, that's like dumping the Sun because it's rubbish but still reading League Express.

• Confused 2

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

37 minutes ago, Dave T said:

While there is plenty melodrama in these 'announcements' , there absolutely are people that walk away from the game. Everyone has that tipping point. 

There ain't much that gets me so riled that I think of sacking the game off, but more and more I feel that the sport doesn't really care too much about the fans, and I find myself caring about the sport more and more. I'm perfectly happy to do other things at weekends, and I look around at other sports for major events far more now. 

But I also accept that some of that is just my changes in circumstances, age, family etc. 

If I wasn't on this forum I doubt I'd follow rugby league in any meaningful way any more. It's invisible down here and notably fewer and fewer people who I interact with on social media obviously respond to it.

Like you, I know a lot of that is personal circumstances but ...

• Like 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 minutes ago, Padge said:

Not really, that's like dumping the Sun because it's rubbish but still reading League Express.

OK.

TBF I'm not stupid enough to be blaming the RFL for all the ills of the game, and as a Wakey fan, I don't even need a winning or competitive team to keep me interested in the game I love.

I'll be there this week and I'll be there next season. The RFL have no bearing on that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

Do any of those who say that about any decision made by the RFL actually follow through?

Always amuses me when the numpties on social media claim they'll never watch RL again because some decision by the RFL has ruined the game. 

It's always a decision the RFL hasn't been able to make for well over a decade 

• Thanks 1

I'd just echo @Dave T here. I actually did walk away from the game and only started paying attention again because last year's WC promised to be really good and I sort of got drawn in again.

I didn't walk away after having some sort of hissy fit, I just got fed up of the endless failure to grow the game and repeated things like the lack of initiative shown after the 2013 WC to capitalise on a lot of goodwill. 

I still don't realistically follow the game and I never see games on Sky - and I used to harass the landlord of any pub I was in (nationwide) to put the games on. I see the odd game on BBC or C4 but even then, very few. I suppose it's a lot of historical DNA that still wants me to see the game succeed but in all honesty, I aren't that arsed to be brutally honest. 

Sad but true.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Another thread destined for the bin…

#forumsgone

Why do you say that? The OP was suggesting that people who say they've had enough of the game are just making idle threats, which a lot of the time they are.

But not always as I know I did, I just didn't make some sort of announcement. Genuine RL fans walking away from the game don't celebrate the fact, it was a sad moment when I realised I didn't actually care that much anymore. It was a huge part of my life for a long time. 

My son walked away after the Bronco's blocked him on twitter for asking why they hadn't posted their score when they had lost a game. He went from being a Bronco's season ticket holder (upto 2019) to nothing, he doesn't even bother watching games on FTA (judging by Broncos crowds he isn't the only one)

• Like 2

I am massively disillusioned with the pro and semi pro game due to the self interest of (some clubs) and the ineptitude of the RFL, and as a result have found myself less interested in this year’s SL season than previous ones.

It’s just so frustrating how UK expansion fails time and time again, and the p155 poor international game too, that I’m not sure it’s worth my emotional effort to be partisan about the game any more. 

• Like 4

I watch some FTA games now. I also had a break from here. I don't go to Odsal anymore nor do I keep tabs on the Bulls.

One particular moment stuck out; a Hull FC prop (Taylor?) was sent off because Wigan's McIlorum fell into his elbow a few years ago. Granted other things were going on with me at the time, but I just wondered why am I getting so annoyed with something I'm supposed to enjoy on a Friday night. From then on the drift away began. I'm not even sure I remembered hearing when Catalans won the Challenge Cup. This post is a bit fragmented but that's when I stopped caring.

Edited by hindle xiii
  • Like 3

Speaking more generally, and not just based on decisions by the RFL, obviously some people make big, melodramatic statements and don't follow through with them. We've seen it plenty on here. Then of course others simply stop posting and very obviously just continue under another user name 😂

I think of more concern are the people that simply drift away from the game because they just don't care anymore. This may well be just over yet another seemingly trivial RFL #### up but its final cut in a death by a thousand cuts. They stop posting on forums like this, stop looking for news on social media and stop watching the sport, or at least in the same volume. That's all fine, people move on, but I certainly don't think the sport helps itself in any way. I know there are times I have lost interest and its probably always been the international game that has really rekindled my interest. The less said about the direction of that the last few years the better though.

• Like 4