Iconic RL Commentary quotes/catchphrases......

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

He’s got some space….he’s going for the corner….he’s got his head back….the Welshman is in for a magnificent try !

That’s the speciality of Jonathan Davies. Sheer pace! Bobbie Goulding injecting the spark in the middle and Wales’ hero finished off at the corner. Sheer magic!

Know it off by heart. Love that try.

I think the memorable ones are where the commentator’s passion takes over. They lose control a bit. They sound like fans.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sam4731 said:

I think, to be fair to Bill, no one could have possibly guessed what was going to happen in that Jack Welsby try so he had no time to formulate something snappy. 

Dave on the other hand had time to make up the beautifully inspiring "(Insert Name Here) is a Leigh/Hull KR legend! Wow!", given that the game was in GP and a single moment was going to win the game immediately.

I doubt whether most memorable moments of commentary were pre-prepared.

"They think it's all over - it is now" could hardly have been planned by Kenneth Wolstenholme, and neither could Eddie Waring's 'Poor Lad'.

The calibre of a commentator is at least partly measure by the power to spontaneously say something memorable at key moments.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

"They think it's all over - it is now" could hardly have been planned by Kenneth Wolstenholme, and neither could Eddie Waring's 'Poor Lad'.

The calibre of a commentator is at least partly measure by the power to spontaneously say something memorable at key moments.

On itv the commentator said “Hurst could make it 3 he has he has”. Not quite as catchy just goes to show like the wide to west these are very rare events where the commentator catches it just right. 

8 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I'm not necessarily saying that those commentators would have prepared those comments I suppose. My main argument is that it's hardly fair to judge a commentators credentials based on their most famous line. I'm sure there have been some very good commentators that have never had that iconic phrase. For example, and I'm sure someone will correct me, but I don't remember Motty ever having an iconic line.

3 hours ago, sam4731 said:

I'm not necessarily saying that those commentators would have prepared those comments I suppose. My main argument is that it's hardly fair to judge a commentators credentials based on their most famous line. I'm sure there have been some very good commentators that have never had that iconic phrase. For example, and I'm sure someone will correct me, but I don't remember Motty ever having an iconic line.

He did have an iconic game, however, when Hereford beat Newcastle in the FA Cup in 1972 and Ronnie Radford scored a stunning goal.

“Oh, what a goal! What a goal! Radford the scorer, Ronnie Radford, and the crowd, the crowd are invading the pitch and it will take some time to clear the field," said Motson to an audience on Match of the Day.

He subsequently said that the impact of that game and his commentary on it, particularly for Radford's goal, changed his life.

4 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

He did have an iconic game, however, when Hereford beat Newcastle in the FA Cup in 1972 and Ronnie Radford scored a stunning goal.

“Oh, what a goal! What a goal! Radford the scorer, Ronnie Radford, and the crowd, the crowd are invading the pitch and it will take some time to clear the field," said Motson to an audience on Match of the Day.

He subsequently said that the impact of that game and his commentary on it, particularly for Radford's goal, changed his life.

Fair enough.

Ray French's "NOW THEN" when Offiah broke the line at Wembley in '94 is my favourite.  Just because its such a funny combination of words when you think about it (absurd really) and yet we all know what it means, and I don't think any other player breaking from 80 yards would get a "NOW THEN".

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Ray French's "NOW THEN" when Offiah broke the line at Wembley in '94 is my favourite.  Just because its such a funny combination of words when you think about it (absurd really) and yet we all know what it means, and I don't think any other player breaking from 80 yards would get a "NOW THEN".

I used to love my "GB tame the Kiwis" (1989) video that I had in the mid-90''s and (I could be wrong) but I'm sure Ray included a "now then" when Offiah scored his brilliant length of the field try in one of the Tests.

"Offiah, he's half a chance, he's away. now then..

On 21/09/2023 at 08:43, M j M said:

"Everybody's saying 'Go, go, go! And he goes!'"

Every Rugby League fan should know this like soccer fans know Wolstenholme, but we simply don't celebrate our glorious history.

Ray French's best was the Hanley "he's still going" one.

These guys deservedly got criticism but they could on occasion summon up a memorable phrase in a memorable moment. Our current Sky commentators are more solid plodders but I don't think they can reach memorable heights.

Still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

• Like 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On 21/09/2023 at 17:32, sam4731 said:

I think, to be fair to Bill, no one could have possibly guessed what was going to happen in that Jack Welsby try so he had no time to formulate something snappy. 

Dave on the other hand had time to make up the beautifully inspiring "(Insert Name Here) is a Leigh/Hull KR legend! Wow!", given that the game was in GP and a single moment was going to win the game immediately.

Dave Woods certainly had time to be ready with my favourite quote of his "Old Faithful, they have  won at Wembley".

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On 21/09/2023 at 00:55, Futtocks said:

Griff Rhys Jones did most of Eddie Waring's greatest hits as the commentator in 1998's Up'n'Under.

This includes "don't rub 'em lad - just count 'em".

Can't remember if that includes Eddie's classic in a mudbath of a game somewhere, "I can't tell if that's the ball or 'is 'ead. We'll know when 'e gets up".

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

I used to love my "GB tame the Kiwis" (1989) video that I had in the mid-90''s and (I could be wrong) but I'm sure Ray included a "now then" when Offiah scored his brilliant length of the field try in one of the Tests.

"Offiah, he's half a chance, he's away. now then..

Nice Rugby League “now then” trivia!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Alex Murphy 1989. Main Road. Wigan v Warrington CC semi final.

Joe Lydon drop goal: " Does he give this some paygo!"

My favourite with Murphy was when someone broke and was in the clear.

“ good night nurse”

19 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

He also said for those of you watching in black and white Everton are playing in blue shirts!

12 hours ago, Ullman said:

Can't remember if that includes Eddie's classic in a mudbath of a game somewhere, "I can't tell if that's the ball or 'is 'ead. We'll know when 'e gets up".

For some reason Eddie Waring also seemed to need to remind viewers in the 1970s of Salford’s half back’s occupation. It was always “Peter Banner the baker”.

19 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Motson's commentary for the classic France v Portugal semi final is an almost peerless example in telling what is going on, putting in the very occasional line of note in,  but mostly relaying the sheer excitement and joy of the sport unfolding in front of him.

There's highlights on YouTube.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)