Sat 14th Oct: Super League Grand Final: Wigan Warriors v Catalans Dragons KO 18:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors by 13 points or more
    • Wigan Warriors by 7 to 12 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 1 to 6 points
    • Catalans Dragons by 1 to 6 points
    • Catalans Dragons by 7 to 12 points
    • Catalans Dragons by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/10/23 at 17:30

Well today was my 1st experience of an Old Trafford grand final courtesy of match tickets and pre-game behind the scenes tour from Sky, that was fantastic and was great to know what goes on that we don't see.

As for the game i'd like to congratulate Wigan on their win and offer Catalans my commiserations in defeat.

As for the 'event' well i was a little disappointed in it all if truth be told, i thought the game was pretty boring only lit up by Wigan's fine try, the atmopshere seemed very flat for such a big game with only the occasion 'Wigan, Wigan' and 'Cherry and white' chants which got a bit repetitive after a while, it could just have been where i was sat but even the Wigan fans didn't really seem that into it, quite a lot of restless people just losing interest in the game and nearly all the neutrals in my area had left with 20 minutes to go, indeed we left dead on the hooter and there were Wigan fans already at the tram stop when we got there and loads walking about, are they not bothered about seeing their team lift the trophy? 

I don't understand the mind set of supporters who watch their team all year in the hope they reach a final and when they do and they win in to win a trophy they just treat it like a regular game and go, how can you do that? i'd need prising away if we ever won a trophy, really don't get it.

As an event give me the cup final anyday, had a good day with my pal with the tour and Catalans fans in the pub were great but i won't be in a rush to return unless i win tickets again or my team get there.

Congratulation again Wigan.

Edited by daz39
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Well today was my 1st experience of an Old Trafford grand final courtesy of match tickets and pre-game behind the scenes tour from Sky, that was fantastic and was great to know what goes on that we don't see.

As for the game i'd like to congratulate Wigan on their win and offer Catalans my commiserations in defeat.

As for the 'event' well i was a little disappointed in it all if truth be told, i thought the game was pretty boring only lit up by Wigan's fine try, the atmopshere seemed very flat for such a big game with only the occasion 'Wigan, Wigan' and 'Cherry and white' chants which got a bit repetitive after a while, it could just have been where i was sat but even the Wigan fans didn't really seem that into it, quite a lot of restless people just losing interest in the game and nearly all the neutrals in my area had left with 20 minutes to go, indeed we left dead on the hooter and there were Wigan fans already at the tram stop when we got there and loads walking about, are they not bothered about seeing their team lift the trophy?.

As an event give me the cup final anyday, had a good day with my pal with the tour and Catalans fans in the pub were great but i won't be in a rush to return unless i win tickets again or my team get there.

Congratulation again Wigan.

My first one as well , pretty much summed it up , hopefully the Leopards make it next year , then I'll be going again 

I thought the game had a lot of similarities with Catalans semi final last weekend. Against a well organised defence, Catalans never really looked like breaking Wigan down and lacked ideas (as they did against St Helens the week before). Where Catalans were excellent was their scramble defence. Some of the efforts to stop Wigan tries were unbelievable.

I don't think anyone can deny Wigan deserved to win on the night and over the course of the season. If anything, on the balance of play perhaps it should have been a little more comfortable for Wigan.

It wasn't the most exciting game in my view but the tension of a close run final helped compensate for that. Wigan's extra dynamism in attack was probably the difference. I also thought Harry Smith was outstanding. I've never particularly rated him but over the last few months he seems to be developing into a classy player.

Edited by Chris22
  • Like 1

Our local area here in Ireland suffered an electricity outage, so I missed the entire second half - and the first half of the Ireland v NZ union game.

Disappointed to find out that Wigan won. I thought it was a drab and tight first half, with the French outfit showing a touch more adventurousness. I fancied them to nip it in the end, but Wigan's controlling game around the middle must have been enough.

Congrats to Sam on a super career. I was really hoping he'd cap it in style today.

Having the massive Betfred signs on and around the pitch looks so cheap and tawdry.

3 hours ago, Just Browny said:

The pitch at OT makes for a suffocating game. Almost zero chance of forcing a drop out or getting a result off a grubber when the in-goal is a stride in width. It's the same for both sides of course and Catalans should have been prepared for it, but it limits the attacking options when you're chasing the game.

Great point!

This last month or so  Wigan  have defended like a pack of bloody thirsty animals. Its been absolutely brutal some of the tougest and most physical i can remember from any side. 

Im far from a Wigan fan and was 100% behind the Dragons tonight but their attitude to defend has been a joy to watch as of late.

Was it a drab game? Id say yes, but i put it down to Catalan being unable to do anything against that brick wall. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

My first one as well , pretty much summed it up , hopefully the Leopards make it next year , then I'll be going again 

We had guys from London sat behind us who had come up for the game, the leader was from Hull (KR Fan) who had lived in London for 30 years, the guy sat right behind me was experiencing his first RL game, he had been to many union games, he thought it was fantastic and better than 'even' any of the internationals he had been to.

Travelling back on the tram from the ground, two totally neutrals (don't go to other games), were going on about how no other sport can offer you that fantastic level of entertainment for £35.

I make a point of trying to get a feel what people, especially when you pick up a snip of a conversation, think, it can be quite enlightening as an outsiders view is very often totally different from the miserable b@$t@3d$ who claim to be supporters of the game.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 minute ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Are Catalans the first team to fail to score a try in a SLGF?

Not checked but apparently so, I would say though, are Wigan the first team not to concede a try.

• Like 3

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I really don't know what people want from the top level of RL in the UK (and France). I went to the game as a Wigan Fan and saw a tough first half with not much between the teams, second half Wigan took control and gave a master class in game managements helped by some Catalan indiscipline.

It's a grand final people, it should be a close game, it should involve two teams giving their all, and it should involve a few moments of class.

The Wigan try was tremendous skill, as was the disallowed try for offside and two forward passes! Some great defence, not many opportunities but hey ho!

Great at the ground. loads of French supporters, mixed groups from various teams and loads of Wiganers, but everyone had a smile on their faces.

All I've read tonight is from people who didnt go to the game moaning about the quality of the game and the location.

Try going to the game and experiencing the atmosphere yourselves, RL is not the perfect game, it has many flaws but at least try and enjoy it!!!!!

• Like 12
Even though our utter, unquestioned dominance in the sport has ended, all Wiganers believe that we are really just indulgently letting the other teams win for a while in order to make it more interesting.

Stuart Maconie, Cider with Roadies

"cause people often talk about being scared of change but for me I'm more afraid of things staying the same cause the game is never won by standing in any one place for too long"

Nick Cave

It was a close and tough game that you would expect from a Grand Final but Catalans didn't really threaten that much because of Wigans defence and Wigan had that explosiveness in attack which gave them the extra threat with ball in hand that Catalans didn't have. I wanted Catalans to win to have a new name on the trophy but it wasn't to be and congratulations to Wigan on winning the title.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris22 said:

I thought the game had a lot of similarities with Catalans semi final last weekend. Against a well organised defence, Catalans never really looked like breaking Wigan down and lacked ideas (as they did against St Helens the week before). Where Catalans were excellent was their scramble defence. Some of the efforts to stop Wigan tries were unbelievable.

I don't think anyone can deny Wigan deserved to win on the night and over the course of the season. If anything, on the balance of play perhaps it should have been a little more comfortable for Wigan.

It wasn't the most exciting game in my view but the tension of a close run final helped compensate for that. Wigan's extra dynamism in attack was probably the difference. I also thought Harry Smith was outstanding. I've never particularly rated him but over the last few months he seems to be developing into a classy player.

Catalans were too ill-disciplined. Coming into that second half, wigan were non stop attacking and made a few linebreaks, I think if Davies didn't grab Marshall wigan were likely in. I can't find the team statistics anywhere which is very annoying but Catalans gave away way too many penalties (especially in decisive moments).

I Also thought Adam Keighran was really poor, which is unfortunate being a Roosters fan myself. He had a very solid year but today he was pretty dreadful, the tackle on KPP was just stupid and he practically sealed the deal in the 63rd with that high tackle, Not to mention 5 missed tackles and a dropped ball, wasn't his night. Already a Wigan legend thit seems, before he's even joined the team.

Catalans played very courageously, but they will never win Super League until they back their own young talent over filling the team with ageing imports. Sure, they need a few, but the balance is wrong and they just look old and slow in attack. I don't know what Mitchell Pearce was even in the team for?

Sam Tomkins was clearly their main organiser and general play kicker, so they surely should be starting with Arthur Mourgue out there with him, to give the side the speed they sorely lack. Pearce did nothing. Likewise with their two plodding Australian centres - there are a few French outside backs who are quicker than those guys, and one of them should be playing.

3 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

Catalans played very courageously, but they will never win Super League until they back their own young talent over filling the team with ageing imports. Sure, they need a few, but the balance is wrong and they just look old and slow in attack. I don't know what Mitchell Pearce was even in the team for?

Sam Tomkins was clearly their main organiser and general play kicker, so they surely should be starting with Arthur Mourgue out there with him, to give the side the speed they sorely lack. Pearce did nothing. Likewise with their two plodding Australian centres - there are a few French outside backs who are quicker than those guys, and one of them should be playing.

This is the crux of it for me. Catalans are extremely well defensively coached, but very lacking in attack unless they manage to create space for Tomkins.

I’ve no idea what Pearce brings, and whereas you could see May creating shape all night the centres were so slow and clunky it always seemed to break down. 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

59 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

This is the crux of it for me. Catalans are extremely well defensively coached, but very lacking in attack unless they manage to create space for Tomkins.

I’ve no idea what Pearce brings, and whereas you could see May creating shape all night the centres were so slow and clunky it always seemed to break down. 

Pearce has had plenty of decent games this year especially as a kicking options....no good yesterday though 

Agreed the back line looked sluggish.....maybe just a long season catching up and tired legs....I would hope none were playing with injuries they should t have...counterproductive to the team if it means they are slow ...can understand a front rower doing it maybe 

5 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Pearce has had plenty of decent games this year especially as a kicking options....no good yesterday though 

Agreed the back line looked sluggish.....maybe just a long season catching up and tired legs....I would hope none were playing with injuries they should t have...counterproductive to the team if it means they are slow ...can understand a front rower doing it maybe 

Yes you're right, his kicking game has been important for them. Catalans were 2nd for a reason, but I guess their last month's form has been there for us all to see. Sometimes teams peak too early, this looks like a classic one of those. Even having done so, their defence still stood up. Good sign on the culture in the group.

Huge rebuild in the off season though, feels like this was a rare opportunity for Catalans to win the title, and it might take 2 or 3 seasons to embed an entire new spine to reach these heights again? Whereas Wigan could have lost this one and been confident of being the favourites next season and beyond I reckon. I'm certain that's whats on McNamara and Gausch's mind this morning, "this was the one" etc. etc. Tough to take that.  

• Like 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?