England vs Samoa Series

Just now, Damien said:

I suppose the key differences are its on their doorstep, there's no travel or hassle and the players get paid by the NRL. It's also likely that they should get to play in a 25k sell-out with Tonga and similar with NZ (a bit of presumption on my part that they will go with a 4 Nations).

The RFL needed to offer something better than that to persuade them to tour and couldn't.

I do get that and agree somewhat, but sometimes the decisions do need to be taken looking at the bigger picture. A couple of bad results, they'll be tossed into the Bowl comp and sent to PNG. 

And I do believe that if the RFL's proposal to Samoa was 3 Tests in SL grounds in front of an average 13k then they get what they deserve.

• Like 2

It's the sport's own fault for dumping the Four Nations in favour of three test series, going back to the dinosaur age. A 3x match v France won't sell well or be much competition. Maybe try something different for a change? France in Toulouse, Wales in South Wales, maybe Lebanon in Dubai or Qatar?

• Like 3

Just realised, with nothing currently scheduled for 2024, an Ashes tour in 2025, and a World Cup down under in 2026, it could be 2027 before we get to see England play anyone decent over here. And that's assuming the remaining calendar is adhered to (a very long shot given the first thing that England were supposed to do has now been cancelled...). ☹️

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

We set this up with our timidity re. the Tonga series but we also absolutely failed to prepare for this eventuality over many years.

I'm pleased that we had a deadline for confirming (or not) the Samoa series. Hopefully that means there is a next step that is now in motion. I can't see how it involves a SH nation and so I think we must find a way to sell a FRA-ENG series - but FRA must want it too. TBH, some rugby in October/November in better weather than we get in Manchester is one advantage at least. 

If that was to happen, it would be better if it was played across France.  It might not be the level of competition we need but it would benefit the long term development within Europe.  We can’t sit on our hands and expect change to come to us.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

It's the sport's own fault for dumping the Four Nations in favour of three test series, going back to the dinosaur age. A 3x match v France won't sell well or be much competition. Maybe try something different for a change? France in Toulouse, Wales in South Wales, maybe Lebanon in Dubai or Qatar?

'The sport' has exactly what it wants. It's England that are being punished for daring to go against the Aussies wishes. 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

And they never need to let their players go any further than NZ, PNG or Melbourne.

I think the US will be their target over the next decade or so, providing how profitable Las Vegas is. If it goes well, they won't be coming to England to play in 3 small venues in the M62, and you can't really blame them. 

• Like 1

Our best chance could be to persuade the NRL that Samoa need to tour rather than Samoa themselves, they could just tell them to come and they’d be here!

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

13 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

Lebanon is probably the best bet as they are already qualified. Why not go to a new area and play a match in Dubai or Qatar, or Lebanon if viable?

Problem is paying to bring NRL Lebanon players over to Europe or Qatar or wherever. The RFL couldn't make a profit from three games in the heartlands against Tonga, so it'll be a loss maker against Lebanon.

I may be in a minority but I enjoyed the Combined Nations games. How about renaming them Pacific All Stars and playing them,  " AllStars" could even appeal to Londoners, though admittedly "All Stars" is doing a lot of heavy lifting here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Problem is paying to bring NRL Lebanon players over to Europe or Qatar or wherever. The RFL couldn't make a profit from three games in the heartlands against Tonga, so it'll be a loss maker against Lebanon.

I may be in a minority but I enjoyed the Combined Nations games. How about renaming them Pacific All Stars and playing them,  " AllStars" could even appeal to Londoners, though admittedly "All Stars" is doing a lot of heavy lifting here.

Then we need to make it something like England All stars vs SH All stars,    Do not prented its England as in the International England team

How about a NH 3/4 nations, Eng, France, Lebanon, maybe Wales, with no final - the league leader then flying straight down under to face the pacific league leader? It will likely mean NH winner has games in NH one weekend and SH the next - but that could be mitigated if final was in Perth perhaps? The added context it would give the NH games would be huge

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, crashmon said:

Then we need to make it something like England All stars vs SH All stars,    Do not prented its England as in the International England team

But they'll play it at Halliwell Jones and attract around 5k. It won't get any media attention, won't attract the audiences, and will just be a non-starter.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Luxembourger said:

How about a NH 3/4 nations, Eng, France, Lebanon, maybe Wales, with no final - the league leader then flying straight down under to face the pacific league leader? It will likely mean NH winner has games in NH one weekend and SH the next - but that could be mitigated if final was in Perth perhaps? The added context it would give the NH games would be huge

Not going to happen - if the Aussies persist with a final instead of a round robin, then why would they pay for England to fly over for 1 game rather than just play NZ or whoever?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Luxembourger said:

Problem is France and Wales will be playing European WCQ next year

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

But they'll play it at Halliwell Jones and attract around 5k. It won't get any media attention, won't attract the audiences, and will just be a non-starter.

Which shows you just how stupid the concept of a playing made up joke teams is

• Like 4