Phil Clarke - leaving Sky

3 minutes ago, hindle xiii said:

Ok, granted it's not Sky but terrestrial coverage in my case, but does anyone else just mute the television and watch the game?

Usually because I'll listen to some Premier League football commentary.

I very rarely listen to any studio stuff for any game either before or half time.

The only exception is Jon Wells who I think provides some genuine insights into the tactical elements of the game.  The rest is just too banal in my mind.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Clarke became a parody, just grasping for controversy, Wilkin unfortunately is following the same path, it got to the point that every time he spoke I instantly wanted to disagree without completely hearing him.

JJB needs to go, I literally can’t understand a word he says, if I’m struggling as a proud Yorkshireman then anyone south of Sheffield has absolutely no chance. It’s TV for gods sake and he’s literally inaudible.

Baz & Tez seem like nice people but there’s no way they’d be in their position in any other sport. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, northamptoncougar said:

Clarke became a parody, just grasping for controversy

This has been a bugbear of mine with Sky coverage for as long as I can remember. 

Ever since Eddie and Stevo there seems to have been an assumption that controversy equals entertainment and so if they could find any decision that could have gone either way they would bang on about it all game as if the whole thing hinged on it.

• Like 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 hours ago, Dunbar said:

This has been a bugbear of mine with Sky coverage for as long as I can remember. 

Ever since Eddie and Stevo there seems to have been an assumption that controversy equals entertainment and so if they could find any decision that could have gone either way they would bang on about it all game as if the whole thing hinged on it.

It is probably picked up by Sky looking at social media where rants about refs decisions are argued about for decades, they think it is what supporters thrive on rather than thinking there are few idiots out there who need to get a grip.

Edited by Padge
  • Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, Padge said:

It is probably picked up by Sky looking at social media where rants about refs decisions are argued about for decades, they think it is what supporters thrive on rather than thinking there are few idiots out there who need to get a grip.

I'm not sure if there is a causation here but if there is then I would say it is the other way around.  SKY have been pushing controversy in Rugby League well before the big social media platforms took off.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stainesrover said:

I saw Clarke at a charity do, he had far too much ale and squared up to Rod Studd. Offered to "re-arrange his face". 

That was about 10-12 years ago. He was like a raging bull.

Well he’s definitely gone up in my estimation then

• Haha 3

On 22/12/2023 at 05:20, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

Sky will need a larger roster. 

6 games a week to cover. 

Main comms- Wilson, Pyke, Fraser 

……. ‘We’re  doomed’ unless we can find a Mainwaring, Jones and Walker so that all 6 games will be covered! 😉

P.S. Yes, I do realise that the surnames were actually Pike and Frazer!

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Stainesrover said:

I saw Clarke at a charity do, he had far too much ale and squared up to Rod Studd. Offered to "re-arrange his face". 

That was about 10-12 years ago. He was like a raging bull.

I met him once 23 years ago and he tried to persuade me that rugby union was a good sport.

• Haha 1

Do not fear; only BELIEVE

If nothing else,Mr Clarke provided the inspiration for what,in my humble opinion,was the funniest comment ever on here.

Any guesses? Answer below.

It was suggested he looked like a German U boat captain.

• Haha 5

On 24/12/2023 at 22:48, JF1 said:

If nothing else,Mr Clarke provided the inspiration for what,in my humble opinion,was the funniest comment ever on here.

Any guesses? Answer below.

It was suggested he looked like a German U boat captain.

I remember Carney's comment of how the commentary box has a "birds eye view ".....this was when Phil was wearing his white wooly roll neck jumper / blue velour jacket combo

Made me laugh anyway

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Obviously he has been on a few times anyway but I think Sam is an excellent full time addition. He speaks really well and understands the game well tactically. He is a major improvement on the other full time pundits.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 3

On 23/01/2024 at 20:45, Damien said:

Obviously he has been on a few times anyway but I think Sam is an excellent full time addition. He speaks really well and understands the game well tactically. He is a major improvement on the other full time pundits.

I think Sam will be an excellent addition, he has recent game knowledge also, which is something Sky has missed a bit recently, so we should get no more "back in my day" nonsense.

Edited by dkw
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Maintaining the Captain Bird's-eye theme then? I wonder if they'll get him a polo neck? 

So in short SKY have done exactly what they do with other sports, retire long serving commentators in favour of those recently retired from the sport who are considered to be "more in touch with the modern game".

Whether of course it was the right long serving commentator(s) is a point already picked up on this thread...

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

49 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

So in short SKY have done exactly what they do with other sports, retire long serving commentators in favour of those recently retired from the sport who are considered to be "more in touch with the modern game".

Whether of course it was the right long serving commentator(s) is a point already picked up on this thread...

Is that a surprising approach? It seems OK to me.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.