Fletcher Rooney and 17 year olds in first grade

If a kid is debuting at 17 odds are they are probably going to be special.

Very Few players Debut at 17 and the few that have in recent years have done great things. Jack Welsby and Joseph Suaalii both debuted at 17 and are already some of the best on the planet. The Other guy I have seen debut at 17 is Jack Sinfield who is already looking a great young half. I may forgetting a few others but odds are if your debuting that young you are likely going to do great things.

In the last SL game of the season Castleford debuted Fletcher Rooney, a young Full back, and I have only just discovered he is only 17. I didn’t get to watch the game but I heard he had a very good game under tough circumstances.

I thought I’d make this thread just in case he turns out to be a superstar. Also if there are any Castleford fans who know more about him and have watched him play in reserve/youth games, I would be very keen to hear about him. Any information would be much appreciated. It’s a pretty rare phenomenon and I’m sure he’s destined for great things.

Edit- Also worth Mentioning Jason Taumalolo who was the last 17 old to debut in the NRL before the rule change, who of course is now an all time great.

Edited by NRLandSL
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

Also I wonder how many 16 year olds have played pro rugby league this century. Of course Famously Jordan Rankin and I know that Jake Bradley for Whitehaven Debuted at 16 aswell, but I wonder if there is any others. 

Scott Moore perhaps?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

John Bateman was only 17 when he made his SL debut against Catalan.

there you go, Bateman, Welsby, Suaalii, Taumalolo. All some of the best players on the planet, if Rooney is even a fraction as good those guys he will be fantastic.

Sualli? over rated hyped up garbage - good riddance to ARU

Jeff Grayshon was 12 when he debuted from t bench for Dewsbury

it were foggy so coach said "gerr on big lad nubdy el notice thas sneaked on "

he had already done his paper round and milk round int morning on foot in bare feet but that didnt stop him making 84 tackles in last 20mins 

when he got home his mother belted him round ear ole for coming home wi muddy knees and made him wash all team kit with a toothbrush (no bristles mind)

things were certainly different in them days- try telling yung uns today  that today though - sualli my arze

• Haha 3

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

One from History, Harold Wagstaff debuted at 15. But not the youngest to debut, according to Wiki - Harold Edmundson being the youngest, also 15.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

2 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

Why didn’t Lucas quite hit the promised heights in your opinion mate? 

Too much too young maybe,  lots of coach changes, bad influences, not given enough game time, one bad game and you're back as third/fourth choice. Not moving to a UK club when he had the chance as he didn't want to. 

Cesar Rougé is going through the same thing now, as did morgue, the French players seem to come second to more experienced overseas halves, which is understandable in a title chasing team, 

Lucas is finding is confidence again at carcassonne, 

• Like 1