Televised games next season - has it been sorted yet?

Yorky

9 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

I get that across England, but no WSL teams are in Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales, but the show still gets shown there on first broadcast. Just an odd anomaly.

It's a national sport. I don't believe any sports competition has teams from England, Scotland, Wales & N. Ireland.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Click said:

It's a national sport. I don't believe any sports competition has teams from England, Scotland, Wales & N. Ireland.

Ice Hockey has for many years.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, White Chevron on Blue said:

It would be great if the BBC could put the Super League Show in the same time slot at 5.30 on Saturday evenings on the weeks when there isn't a live match being shown. It would help to hook in viewers in a habit forming way.

Yes, nice idea, would be great. I am just really pleased to see there will be a few live games on main free terrestrial channels. It's not just me being cheap, as while I love sport, I know that if I had satellite I'd be too tempted to watch it until all hours.

BBC website will need to up its RL coverage, though, to do this justice. This news isn't even mentioned in their RL page, which has some items on that are weeks, if not months, old.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, N2022 said:

BBC website will need to up its RL coverage, though, to do this justice. This news isn't even mentioned in their RL page, which has some items on that are weeks, if not months, old.

This hasn't been confirmed yet. It is not yet news.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, JonM said:

Ice Hockey has for many years.

Thanks, I had no knowledge Ice Hockey had spread its wings so wide.

My only experience of Ice Hockey in this country is going to the Docklands in London and seeing a London team play there. I have no memory of what their name was, but it felt quite strange going to basically Canary Wharf and seeing an Ice Hockey match. I do remember them having an employee that also worked for the Broncos at the time and my dad speaking with him about it.

Hopefully, the BBC will get rid of their overused animated 'giants' sequence that  has introduced the sport in their productions for the last few years. 

The best opening sequence IMO is the NFL intro to their Sunday night games, with a knockout song and spellbinding graphics. If only...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

Hopefully, the BBC will get rid of their overused animated 'giants' sequence that  has introduced the sport in their productions for the last few years. 

The best opening sequence IMO is the NFL intro to their Sunday night games, with a knockout song and spellbinding graphics. If only...

Love it. 

6 hours ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

I think it's OK and works well because it's so recognisable. Building a brand sometimes involves sticking with something rather than looking to change for change's sake.

40 minutes ago, north yorks trinity said:

I think it's OK and works well because it's so recognisable. Building a brand sometimes involves sticking with something rather than looking to change for change's sake.

Its cheap looking and adds nothing. Giants bouncing about the screen has nothing to do with building a brand.

• Like 3

On 10/01/2024 at 07:33, lemmy xaan said:

I can remember certain league matches being shown (1970s?), such as the Leeds v Cas Boxing Day game when they'd get 18,000 range crowds. Leeds was a popular fall-back for games as they had the undersoil heating and I can recall going to freezing cold league games at Headingley that were on Grandstand. The infamous Leeds v Halifax match with the dog on the pitch (K9) was also, I feel, a league game (possibly the lowest point of morale ever reached in our game). I think it was in the 80s-90s when they decided to only screen cup, JP/Regal and internationals. 

If true, this will be the best ever television season for RL. We forget or are too young to remember how awful RL was once treated. All games (bar CC final) were 2nd half only, the commentary was incomprehensible, no summarisers, no other channel broadcasters, and there was absolutely no context discussion. Relatively speaking, we have it incredibly good at the mo.

And also during the second half transmission, the latest football scores were emblazoned at the bottom of the screen while the match was in progress!

Has anyone else noticed that the Challenge Cup Final on June 8 next year is the same date and kick off time as the  Rugby Union Premiership Final?              
What’s the betting thatTNT sports will be after changing that to around 5pm to avoid getting decimated TV figures??!! 

1 hour ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

Has anyone else noticed that the Challenge Cup Final on June 8 next year is the same date and kick off time as the  Rugby Union Premiership Final?              
What’s the betting thatTNT sports will be after changing that to around 5pm to avoid getting decimated TV figures??!! 

ITV show Premiership final, viewing figures peaked at 1.5m, ( 1.3m ITV, 186,000.BT)

Challenge Cup peaked at 1.1m, so very close,  that's of course when there was no clash on tv. So who knows what'll happen.

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/premiership-rugby-saracens-harlequins-2023-tv-ratings-uk-bt-itv/

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/reports-challenge-cup-final-records-amazing-tv-viewing-figures-80235/

Edited by HawkMan

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

ITV show Premiership final, viewing figures peaked at 1.5m, ( 1.3m ITV, 186,000.BT)

Challenge Cup peaked at 1.1m, so very close,  that's of course when there was no clash on tv. So who knows what'll happen.

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/premiership-rugby-saracens-harlequins-2023-tv-ratings-uk-bt-itv/

That link seems to be quoting viewership for a game in March which beat the figures for the previous year's final, not the final itself? Oddly enough, I can't find any press release for the 2023 premiership final, which leads me to think that the figures weren't that great. The following has figures for 2022 though.

https://premiershiprugby.com/content/premiership-rugby-breaks-tv-audience-records-at-the-end-of-an-unforgettable-season

• Like 1

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 10/01/2024 at 21:54, sam4731 said:

This hasn't been confirmed yet. It is not yet news.

Lots of other stuff that isn't confirmed gets covered, though. They've probably got half a dozen staff working on football transfer window rumours, so surely not unreasonable to expect a 'BBC looking to broadcast ...' story.

• Like 1

Holy ######, you seen the carp on tv tonight. If this is the best they can put up against the ttg, we should really get some good viewing figures.

Edited by Jack Russell

And sorry whilst I'm here, I don't wanna come across as negative as I really think this is a massive opportunity.

But in the 80's in the floodlight shield, (someone will correct me here) wigan banned the bbc from filming as it affected the crowd totals. I really do hope that playing potentially 7 days a week at the times the tv channels demand and therefore maybe leading to lower attendances don't have the adverse affect. Just saying that's all. But I cannot wait for next year, bring it ooonnnnn

14 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I don't think it is wise to put a lot of matches up against eachother for ratings, especially when none of those matches will be on Sky Sports Main Event

Just dilutes the audience doesn’t it.  Can see those extra games getting moved on on to the red button eventually

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Just dilutes the audience doesn’t it.  Can see those extra games getting moved on on to the red button eventually

I agree, or someone wakes up and schedules them back to back...

And on the same channel ideally too.

Edited by Tommygilf
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Clubs needs to realise that they can't keep stacking Friday 8pm and expect to get visible coverage.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 hours ago, N2022 said:

Lots of other stuff that isn't confirmed gets covered, though. They've probably got half a dozen staff working on football transfer window rumours, so surely not unreasonable to expect a 'BBC looking to broadcast ...' story.

You seriously expect the BBC to cover its own yet-to-be-confirmed broadcast deal? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, N2022 said:

Reporting on rumours is one thing but these are more often than not either shots in the dark or vague conversations that someone has had with someone 'in the know'. This deal is more than likely going to happen, as with these sort of things, they are generally leaked from the inside, which means it makes no sense for them to report 'BBC rumoured to show matches', followed by 'BBC confirmed to show matches'. They may as well just wait until it is confirmed.