Malcolm Alker

Geez, this is a real shock. As a player he always gave his all and was a loyal servant to Salford. Obviously he had his demons after retirement but I know a few people that knew him well in his younger years and they could never speak highly enough of him and in his young St Pats days he was a fitness fanatic who was mad about making it as a professional. RIP.

• Like 6

Shocked to read about this.

R.I.P. Malcolm. A Salford legend.

• Like 1

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

That's an awful shock, even though his troubles were common knowledge.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sad news gave so much as a Salford player. Including playing within 10 days of his appendix op.

He had demons all his life. His family were all as mad as a box of frogs, all names starting with M if I recall, Malc, Marlon, and I can't think what the other was.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Red Willow said:

Sad news gave so much as a Salford player. Including playing within 10 days of his appendix op.

He had demons all his life. His family were all as mad as a box of frogs, all names starting with M if I recall, Malc, Marlon, and I can't think what the other was.

Mel and Michael.

Terrible loss. So sad.

Really sad news.

"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

1 hour ago, Red Willow said:

Interesting according to Wilkin, Malc was one of the first to advocate for mental health for players in the England set up and was dismissed out of hand.  

Thankfully the game has come an awful long way since then.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Damien said:

Thankfully the game has come an awful long way since then.

You would think so but did Malc get the help he still needed? It was obvious after the jail sentence he was troubled.

RIP; I enjoyed watching that Salford team that Alker was a leader of. They played an attractive brand of football and were plucky underdogs that were easy to root for.

Gone too soon.

• Like 2

To pass so young is deeply sad.

Malcolm was a star. Excelling the very qualities you'd desire in a player. A fine recipe of talent, skill, determination, and honesty.

He was central to me returning to RL in the noughties due to his integrity on the field.

Thank you fella for the memories.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

According to St Pats facebook page Malcolm Alker's funeral is at Wigan Parish Church in the town centre  at 11am this friday 2nd feb followed by a gathering at the  rugby club itself afterwards. All welcome. 

• Like 1