Challenge Cup: Third Round Draw

2 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Can't see it making any difference really. You'll probably top 100 points for 3 games on the trot which will no doubt be a record. 

With £1m+ playing budget and full-time you should be winning league games by 40-60 points as Leigh did in similar circumstances. 

The only possible banana skin is Toulouse in the GF.

Which won't matter anyway because both are coming up regardless.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

I was thinking that it would be either Widnes v Doncaster or Halifax v Whitehaven 

Considering progress made at each club recently, I like the idea of Barrow v Oldham. Would have the benefit, also, of not being played in a largely empty stadium.

Edited by Hopping Mad

38 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

Considering progress made at each club recently, I like the idea of Barrow v Oldham. Would have the benefit, also, of not being played in a largely empty stadium.

Good shout, don't know how I missed that one 

• Like 1

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

18 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

We (Barrow) had our moment in the sun in 2022 when we had the BBC here twice for Challenge Cup games - Barrow v Workington and after that, Huddersfield.

Personally, I'd prefer to miss out this time. I'm sure that the Huddersfield match being televised took a couple of hundred off the gate: There were barely 50 of their fans at the match: Might have been more if it hadn't been free on TV, but then again, some SL season ticket holders seem to resent having to stump up cash for cup matches.

25 minutes ago, Dave W said:

We (Barrow) had our moment in the sun in 2022 when we had the BBC here twice for Challenge Cup games - Barrow v Workington and after that, Huddersfield.

Personally, I'd prefer to miss out this time. I'm sure that the Huddersfield match being televised took a couple of hundred off the gate: There were barely 50 of their fans at the match: Might have been more if it hadn't been free on TV, but then again, some SL season ticket holders seem to resent having to stump up cash for cup matches.

Well, you didn't get your wish according to Barrow's Facebook page 

• Like 1

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Confirmation from rugby-league.com:

BBC Sport will be at Craven Park, Barrow-in-Furness on Saturday 10 February, when Championship side Barrow Raiders host League One Oldham in Round 3 of the Betfred Challenge Cup.

The Raiders defeated League One Workington Town in the AB Sundecks 1895 Cup last weekend, but Sean Long’s side will travel in confidence having beaten 1895 Cup holders Halifax Panthers in their opening group match. Oldham also defeated Barrow 20-6 in when the sides last met in the competition in 2021.

Barrow Raiders versus Oldham will be streamed live on BBC iPlayer and BBC Sport online on Saturday 10 February from 12.20pm.

On Sunday The Sportsman will be in Dewsbury, where the Rams take on York Knights in an all-Championship clash (KO 2pm). York triumphed 22-10 on their last visit to Ram Stadium in 2022, but Dewsbury were proudly unbeaten at home last season when they gained promotion from League One. 

Barrow Raiders v Oldham (Saturday 10 February, 12.30pm) BBC iPlayer

Batley Bulldogs v Workington Town (Sunday 11 February, 2pm)

Bradford Bulls v North Wales Crusaders (Sunday 11 February, 3pm)

Cornwall v York Acorn (Saturday 10 February, 1pm)

Dewsbury Rams v York Knights (Sunday 11 February, 2pm) The Sportsman

Halifax Panthers v Whitehaven (Sunday 11 February, 3pm)

Hammersmith Hills Hoists v Wests Warriors (Saturday 10 February, 2.30pm)

Hunslet v Keighley Cougars (Sunday 11 February, 3pm - TBC)

Lock Lane v Hunslet ARLFC (Saturday 10 February, 2pm)

Rochdale Hornets v Midlands Hurricanes (Sunday 11 February, 3pm)

Sheffield Eagles v Newcastle Thunder (Saturday 10 February, 2pm)

Stanningley v Wath Brow Hornets (Saturday 10 February, 2pm)

Swinton Lions v West Hull (Sunday 11 February, 3pm)

Siddal v Wakefield Trinity (Saturday 10 February, 2pm – TBC)

Thatto Heath Crusaders v Featherstone Rovers (Sunday 11 February, 2pm – TBC)

Widnes Vikings v Doncaster (Sunday 11 February, 3pm)

Edited by Hopping Mad

37 minutes ago, Dave W said:

If the Barrow-Oldham tie were on the Sunday, I'd be going. Can't see me coming over on the Saturday (too many football options).

Edited by Hopping Mad

1 minute ago, Hopping Mad said:

Had the Barrow-Oldham game been on the Sunday, I'd be going. Can't see me coming over on the Saturday (too many football options).

Another reason why being chosen to be on TV is a poisoned chalice. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Well, you didn't get your wish according to Barrow's Facebook page 

Ah well. BBC looking for a cup "shock" I suppose. 

55 minutes ago, Dave W said:

Cheap joke but...

50 Huddersfield fans?! More than usual then.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Notwithstanding the introduction of second and third tier clubs, I am disappointed that the all-London amateur clash isn't being shown.  Maybe the Beeb's commentary team are not good with alliteration!

• Like 1

I see Siddal are insisting on playing at home against Wakey. The RFL have stated the ground doesn't meet minimum requirements but still allowing this. If minimum requirements can be ignored what is the point in having them. The tin pot mentality of the RFL never ceases to amaze me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

I see Siddal are insisting on playing at home against Wakey. The RFL have stated the ground doesn't meet minimum requirements but still allowing this. If minimum requirements can be ignored what is the point in having them. The tin pot mentality of the RFL never ceases to amaze me.

And it's being cheered by RL journos as far as I can see.

But, yes, an organisation waving off minimum standards when it suits may find itself having problems in enforcing minimum standards later.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

15 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

That's really odd from the RFL, even by their standards.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

And it's being cheered by RL journos as far as I can see.

They're an odd bunch at times. Still, "magic of the cup" and all that. If a ground isn't up to holding a game, romance doesn't matter.

Edited by RigbyLuger

Siddal played at home against Sheffield at the same stage last year; not sure what the difference is. Better facilities than Odsal.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

It’s been ignored in super league for the last 20 odd years so can’t see the problem 

• Haha 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

30 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Siddal played at home against Sheffield at the same stage last year; not sure what the difference is. Better facilities than Odsal.

Siddal have amongst the best facilities of any ARL club, certainly better than some of the grounds that some professional clubs have used. Seems like a reasonable, pragmatic decision to me.

1 hour ago, bangersandmash said:

Will London derby be at Chiswick RUFC? 

Many thanks in advance 

Yeah. Wests Warriors have confirmed Saturday 10th February, 2.30pm, at Chiswick RUFC. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, JonM said:

Siddal have amongst the best facilities of any ARL club, certainly better than some of the grounds that some professional clubs have used. Seems like a reasonable, pragmatic decision to me.

Venue has not yet been decided but Siddal are hoping to play at home in accordance with the draw.

Can anyone point please to the actual stadium facility requirements ? I can't find anything since IMG published what was needed to get into SL, and that is of course silent on anything below. 

If their facilities are good enough for League 1 then the  CC rules say they can play at home.........

You can't knock Siddal ARLFC if they want to provide their players, staff and fans with a home game against one of the top sides in the competition at this stage.  If the club see that as more important than cashing in on a plum draw then fair enough. 

Edited by Wollo Wollo Wayoo

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son