2024 attendance thread

22 hours ago, dkw said:

I expect having to refund people if they dont get a home game will end up costing the club too.

16 hours ago, M j M said:

You'd bump up the cost of season tickets if these games were included though. So it wouldn't be a case of it being "free" to ST holders.

11 hours ago, Eddie said:

How could you do that with zero guaranteed cup games though? Well they could, but it would be a big gamble. 

As with my earlier post, it’s the risk on the fans part to pay the extra and end up with no home games. No refund would be part of the T&C. Always worked well at Hibs and was an unpopular decision when it ended (because the club kept getting unlucky with home draws)

@TommygilfThe free junior season tickets was written in to the operational rules until the quarter finals but seems to have been quietly discontinued

Personally I think the scheduling is a huge factor. There’s only a short turnaround as it is, and the league fixtures look positively regular compared to some of the mad dates and kick off times you end up with in the cup, so it’s not as if you can second guess it to keep your weekend free. In days gone by you knew you you’d probably be playing the Sunday (apart from a single Saturday game on Grandstand) so it was much easier to plan around the potential. 

2 hours ago, Hopie said:

I was referring to 2004, which I guess stretches the "before" part of my statement, but still technically true as the grand final wasn't until after the 16000+ season average was finished. Around the time there was marketing around "Britain's best supported rugby club" (which I think might have been a bit of a fudge because it probably included the Tykes crowds to beat Leicester tigers) it seemed a point of pride, and it would be nice to see them get back to that level.
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/teams/leeds-rhinos/seasons.html

That 2004 season really was quite a special case though. And, if I really want to split hairs, if you take out the two Bradford crowds from that the average is only 15,161. Take out the final game vs London, which was when the LLS was presented and got a definitely above-normal 17,329, and it's 14,965.

Should Leeds have grown their crowds since then with a poorer-performing team and despite the loss of its biggest game every year? I continue to think the club doesn't do enough on the crowd and marketing front and has probably been happy for some years with very high corporate revenues, together with high yields and lower averages for regular fans. That was an approach which got them through the successful years and helped pay for a large chunk of the stadium redevelopment.  The approach has actually changed a bit this year with season ticket prices somewhat reduced.

However the club definitely has a higher baseline level of in-person support now than it did 20 or 30 years ago.

• Like 1

Bradford v Halifax 3853

NRL Today

Gold Coast v Dolphins 13 898

St. George v Manly 16 215 in Wollongong

Edited by JonM
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Keith989 said:

13k for Gold Coast seems very generous. 

How so?  It's less than 50% of the capacity at Robina, of course, and down on last season's average of 17K.

11 214 for Warrington v Catalan. Thought the Saturday afternoon KO and BBC coverage might've reduced that - seems like a pretty decent attendance.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Keith989 said:

13k for Gold Coast seems very generous. 

The crowd is unevenly distributed with the side opposite the players tunnel and the end to the right of that side being the most popular.

I was there and was expecting it being a bit more than that but I am notoriously bad at estimating crowds.

Much more of the 1990s Hasler-ball and they will be down to four figures.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Bradman Better said:

Can we say that probably around half of the 6,177 fans at Salford vs Leigh were Leigh fans?

Is there any evidence to refute my belief that Salford has only approximately 3,000 fans who attend Salford home games?

1,500ish Leigh fans. We had loads of room around us whereas last year it was chocker.

I’m a little sceptical about the overall figure as the South was far from full, and the main stand looked much quieter than previously, even accounting for a few of those moving over to the East Stand. All got to be justified somewhere so I guess there might have been a few season ticket holders away on holiday etc.

The shuttle buses from the Trafford Centre were busy again and are a great initiative 👏 

• Like 1

6,000 at Salford? i find that hard to believe as apart from the away end it didn't look any busier than it does with 2,500-3,000 there, i'm presuming there wasn't 3,000 Leigh fans present as the away terrace only holds 2,500 and that didn't look full either, i can't believe they are saying there were 4,000 Salford fans in that ground.

Are they counting those on the M60 who pass the stadium too or in planes going to the Aerodrome?

• Haha 1

It's a rugby league tradition not to believe the official published attendance figures. Far better try to guess that there are fewer spectators than published. Like guessing the speed of a passing car from the draught it causes rather than from the cops speed gun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, langpark said:

2,041 today for Oldham vs Rochdale. 

And yesterday at the same venue, roughly the same for Rochdale Mayfield vs Waterhead.

Best crowd for 16 years at Oldham. I saw people there who hadn’t been for years. Great crowd f oh d the standard cup final too. 

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, sheddingswasus said:

Best crowd for 16 years at Oldham. I saw people there who hadn’t been for years. Great crowd f oh d the standard cup final too. 

That's great to hear.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

London are now estimating their attendance. Perhaps not surprisingly, they estimated that the sections of the ground that were open were 3/4s full: 2300. 

Not sure how they estimate in a brand new venue surely automated entrances will give an accurate account

• Like 1