Sat 24th Feb: WCC: Wigan Warriors v Penrith Panthers KO 8pm (Sky/BBC/SuperLeague+)

Who will win?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors by 13 points or more
    • Wigan Warriors by 7 to 12 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 1 to 6 points
    • Penrith Panthers by 1 to 6 points
    • Penrith Panthers by 7 to 12 points
    • Penrith Panthers by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/02/24 at 20:30

6 minutes ago, Roy Haggerty said:

Look, I think that there were some hard decisions which went against Penrith consistently tonight: the Wardle try, the last minute try, the forward pass try, the ball steal, a couple of ‘knock ons’ at the ptb etc. But that’s why home advantage matters: crowds don’t shout for their own team’s forward passes.

If Penrith are honest though, they’ll need to look to themselves. They dominated territory, and looked stronger throughout, but they couldn’t do anything with it. Butchered two certain tries with an easy drop and then trying to outrun Field instead of passing to support. And the kicking game to get repeat sets was non-existent. 

They could and should have won even with the unfavourable decisions. The fact they didn’t is on them, really  

As Bevan French himself said, Penrith controlled pretty much the whole game.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

If it carrys on the way it is doing now and the underarm rules come in, you won't be watching Rugby League as we know it, it will be some kind of plastic sanitised version, hand on heart ginger one what is the better rules to watch what we have witnessed in the last two weeks or this tonight?

It’s all rugby league to me.

• Confused 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

Nathan Cleary still having selfies and signing stuff way after the hooter- what a class act

There's an interview with him in the Grauniad where he and hid dad come across really well: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/feb/23/nathan-cleary-interview-penrith-panthers-rugby-league-world-club-challenge 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

We're here to enjoy it though? 

Nutter.

• Haha 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Because they are a talking point ona discussion forum. Were not all here to blow smoke up Wigans backside

"By ye words, all will know ye."

Of course it's a discussion forum, hence me expressing my evidence-based opinion.  Might be better if the haters just said they didn't like Wigan and didn't want them to win, then leave us to celebrate the victory.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I am beyond impressed how much heart Wigan showed tonight.  To keep this Penrith outfit to 12 points with the field position they had is absolutely incredible. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

There's an interview with him in the Grauniad where he and hid dad come across really well: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/feb/23/nathan-cleary-interview-penrith-panthers-rugby-league-world-club-challenge 

Hard not to like him.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

3 minutes ago, JohnM said:

"By ye words, all will know ye."

Of course it's a discussion forum, hence me expressing my evidence-based opinion.  Might be better if the haters just said they didn't like Wigan and didn't want them to win, then leave us to celebrate the victory.

Who’s stopping you celebrating? You’re choosing to come on here.

I don’t hate Wigan, I wanted Penrith to win but not really that bothered either way.

Saturday night in London. My one year old grandson’s birthday. Watched the game with family (some of whom watched the RU international). Everyone loved the game. Skill, physicality, tension. 

Edited by EssexRL
  • Like 10

21 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Uffff just seen the Wardle try again. Never ever ever a try. 😂

I was surprised it went up as a try. There was defo a chance the ball touched the line, however I would say the Penrith example was more likely a try.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, JohnM said:

That's not the story of tonight, sadly.

True. The story is that of the Wigan-haters grasping at straws, trying to outdo each other in trying to find reasons why Wigan should not have won.

I was hoping for Wigan.

Viewers don't have to grasp at straws. Some of the calls tonight turned my stomach. I very nearly turned off when the strip penalty was incorrectly given.

I have to stress that Wigan played well and made it an absorbing game.

1 minute ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I was surprised it went up as a try. There was defo a chance the ball touched the line, however I would say the Penrith example was more likely a try.

I agree. At most, it should have been sent upstairs as a "no try". But, by the laws of historical averages, the *ahem* messy end of the stick swaps ends once in a while.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson