Sat 9th-Sun 10th Mar: Challenge Cup - Fifth Round Match Thread

3 minutes ago, tim2 said:

I would continue after a drop goal, until a try or penalty was scored, or the 2x5 had finished.

My preference is similar.

• Try = immediate win.
  • DG/Penalty = a win at the end of whichever period of extra time a team takes and keeps the lead.
  • Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, graveyard johnny said:

hope fev get a big gun in the next round at home

Batley away more like.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

10 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Batley away more like.

Not sure what is going to happen as it is tradition that fev get Batley and Fax in the cup at the start of most seasons so i'm hoping this does not cause some weird RL paradox.

Congratulations to Rovers, they were much the better team today. I applauded their fans at the end. Apologies to a small core of our fans but guess your always gonna get that every so often in a derby. Long trip back for me then down again on Friday, think every team in our league now will be hoping for those kinda conditions playing against us. Good first half from Oli Pratt today but that was our only stand out Imho Rovers were clinical in defence from start to finish and never gave us room, obviously conditions played a big factor. We will get over it 😫

Anyway Bulls next Friday.

Up the Trin ⚜️💪

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Terrific contest, old-school cup tie in every way and hope it was as entertaining for neutrals watching as it was for fans of either team.

It was indeed, reminded me of when The Dons beat HKR (Cup game) in hock deep conditions at Tattersfield. 

• Like 1

“It is not revenge we want for poor people, but happiness; indeed, what revenge can be taken for all the thousands of years of the sufferings of the poor?”

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Where the hell have Fev got that winger from, the bottom division of tgd Yorkshire mens League.

To answer your question...Manoa Wacokecoke came from Hull Ionians, having been released by Hull FC without making a first-grade appearance. He's in his first first-grade season, he's 19 and is still very raw.

He's one of a number of players in the Fev squad who have arrived from pretty humble backgrounds. We've got a guy we signed from Hunslet amateurs (who played big minutes today), a guy we signed from Upton, a guy who was released by Doncaster, another who was released by Keighley, another we signed from Pontefract rugby union. Our makeshift half back today was Harry Bowes who was a hooker released by Wakefield.

Still plenty of quality in the Fev squad but there are a lot of relatively unknown/inexperienced players in the squad, unlike previous years when we had almost an embarrasment of riches.

• Like 10

Big wake up call for Powell, don't think Wakey got their tactics right today.

Now here is one for the old uns, As far as I remember the last time Wakey played Fev in the cup at Post Office Road was late 60's early 70's ish. Wakey also lost that day as clear favourites and Fev had a great performance from a back called Wigglesworth. The conditions back then we're identical today and the rumour was the local fire brigade had been heavily watering the pitch all night before the game 🤣 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Worzel said:

I’m loving the conditions so much. It’s like the old days.

Can you imagine being the groundsman next week trying to tidy this up? 🤣

What about the poor person getting the shirts clean 😕

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Agbrigg said:

Big wake up call for Powell, don't think Wakey got their tactics right today.

Now here is one for the old uns, As far as I remember the last time Wakey played Fev in the cup at Post Office Road was late 60's early 70's ish. Wakey also lost that day as clear favourites and Fev had a great performance from a back called Wigglesworth. The conditions back then we're identical today and the rumour was the local fire brigade had been heavily watering the pitch all night before the game 🤣 

Before my time that, but there's been at least one Cup game against Wakefield since then. February 1976, a game notable for the debut of Fev legend Steve Quinn.
Fev won that one too!

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

My preference is similar.

• Try = immediate win.
  • DG/Penalty = a win at the end of whichever period of extra time a team takes and keeps the lead.

Golden try, silver point.

One potential issue (but not impossible to solve): if one team gets 3 penalties, then the other team gets a try, does the team that has the try immediately run despite being 2 points worse off? The answer should obviously be no, but the wording wouldn't agree and need tightening up.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Terrific contest, old-school cup tie in every way and hope it was as entertaining for neutrals watching as it was for fans of either team.

great advert for the game, the championship is alive and kicking 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Before my time that, but there's been at least one Cup game against Wakefield since then. February 1976, a game notable for the debut of Fev legend Steve Quinn.
Fev won that one too!

Could have been that one, if Geoff Wigglesworth was in the side back then.  Even that game is nearly 50 yrs back

By the way you lied to me you told me the pitch was not a mud bath 👍

• Haha 1