Premier Sports offer to broadcast all Championship games

2 minutes ago, Griff said:

I read it as every TV deal is split 78:13:9.

The downside is that it implicitly assumes that the income will come from Superleague matches.  In which case Superleague generously give 22% to the other divisions.

What we have with this deal is the Championship clubs are being asked to generously give 87% to the other divisions.   Which reduces their incentive to accept somewhat.

Having said that, the whole article is vague.

My understanding is that these deals are with the RFL and the distribution from the broadcast deals as a whole is 78:13:9. In addition the speculation is that the SL clubs would look askance at Championship clubs rejecting the deal yet continuing to want to benefit from the Sky package despite not having any of their games broadcast.

I can understand both viewpoints.

• Like 4

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 minutes ago, Griff said:

Commentary isn't available at the ground.

It is at ours - on local hospital radio.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

Ah the old 'being on TV reduces attendances' trope. I have literally no sources but I'm pretty sure it's been debunked many, many times.

Might do, might not.  Depends on a number of factors.  

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

19 minutes ago, Neutralfan7 said:

You won't though will you

I won't be going to Whitehaven while they employ wife beaters I'm afraid. I can't pay towards people like that.

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

26 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

It is at ours - on local hospital radio.

Happen - but I don't want it.

I know I live on another planet at times in the world of what's feasible. But it would be great to have a Championship and League One broadcast deal. It would give Midlands a chance to showcase their new stadium to a base, us at Thunder a chance to try and grab an untapped audience and with Sean Long at Oldham a real look at their resurgence. That's just three teams, there'll be more stories out there. At the very least us League One clubs should be allowed to offer a streaming service.

I'd also like to see some Championship on terrestrial, I've enjoyed watching it over the last couple of seasons since Covid despite Thunders woes. It's a good league to watch and I would watch it on the red button on BBC or wherever. 

I guess I'm a bit frustrated that as we come into a new IMG era as a game we're not grasping at chances to generate new audiences and streaming is definitely one of those ways.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Phil W said:

I know I live on another planet at times in the world of what's feasible. But it would be great to have a Championship and League One broadcast deal. It would give Midlands a chance to showcase their new stadium to a base, us at Thunder a chance to try and grab an untapped audience and with Sean Long at Oldham a real look at their resurgence. That's just three teams, there'll be more stories out there. At the very least us League One clubs should be allowed to offer a streaming service.

I'd also like to see some Championship on terrestrial, I've enjoyed watching it over the last couple of seasons since Covid despite Thunders woes. It's a good league to watch and I would watch it on the red button on BBC or wherever. 

I guess I'm a bit frustrated that as we come into a new IMG era as a game we're not grasping at chances to generate new audiences and streaming is definitely one of those ways.

It might be pedantry but, if you lived on another planet, you wouldn't get a decent terrestrial TV signal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Phil W said:

No untapped audience is subscribing to Premier, and no terrestrial channel has any interest in second division rugby league, I'm afraid.

League one clubs should be looking at streaming their own games on YouTube, cos they're getting sod all from this deal.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

League one clubs should be looking at streaming their own games on YouTube, cos they're getting sod all from this deal.

Ironically, because there's less of them, they're getting about the same.

It feels a bit of a basic commercial agreement for all income to be split as described. 

I can understand it to an extent, but hopefully it is people misunderstanding it, as it is set up to cause issues. 

The game of the round should be televised. Monday night on Premier was working well before ViaPlay came in with their short-lived takeover. I always suspected that they would pull out pretty quickly, and so it proved.

One Championship game a round gives the comp a visibility, but I think it has to be a variety in terms of teams/grounds visited. Televising the same team most weeks gets a bit boring.

Just my view, as an Irish viewer who enjoyed the Premier output - and was disappointed it ended for non-UK audiences when ViaPlay came in.

• Like 1

• Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

I thought that The Sportsman had the rights to (at least some matches in) League 1 this year.

If those numbers are correct they would be fools not to turn it down. Surely they would lose more than they would gain? 

Exposure is worthless, and they wouldn't even be getting that!

• Like 1

On 14/03/2024 at 17:20, Bradman Better said:

So you want to watch Championship games without commentary?

Maybe just have someone play the piano like in the days of silent films?

Interestingly, that's about where the English game is right now. Frozen about 100 years in time.

new rise.jpg

It will be interesting to find out what the financial support is to make all grounds ‘broadcast ready’.

However, if the deal goes ahead and the income is spilt 78, 13, 9 split in favour of SL then simple math shows that each SL club would receive £3250 in year 1 rising to £6500 in year 3.  Surely, for an elite league these amounts are simply minuscule.

Here is a radical idea …. let the Championship clubs have the money!  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

It will be interesting to find out what the financial support is to make all grounds ‘broadcast ready’.

However, if the deal goes ahead and the income is spilt 78, 13, 9 split in favour of SL then simple math shows that each SL club would receive £3250 in year 1 rising to £6500 in year 3.  Surely, for an elite league these amounts are simply minuscule.

Here is a radical idea …. let the Championship clubs have the money!  

Doesn't the 78/13/9 apply to the Sky deal? For this deal, all the money would go to the Championship clubs?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

15 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Doesn't the 78/13/9 apply to the Sky deal? For this deal, all the money would go to the Championship clubs?

It would be weird if it didn't. But the RL journo claimed otherwise. 

26 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

You might be right.  I may have misunderstood Blind Side Johnny’s post at the top of this page.

15 hours ago, Griff said:

You're right.

The point's made that Superleague clubs would not be happy if the deal were rejected as they take 78%.   But there's not much of an incentive for Championship clubs to accept if they only get 13% of £50000.   That's only £6500 - presumably to share between them.   And we don't know details of the downside - would Premier dictate when the games are played?  Hopefully not at that fee level.  The upside is the TV exposure but how widespread would that be?

Lots of unknowns here.

If I recall correctly the fee payed for the whole season in '22 to be shared equally by all the clubs no matter how many times that they were told what day and time they would be on the televised game was £95K.

Teams lost out in revenue when moving from their regular Sunday afternoon slot to Monday night's, I love watching the Championship I consider many games to be more entertaining than SL fixtures (my opinion of course) but for such a meagre fee J wouldn't blame them one bit if the clubs turned it down, the RFL should have no say whether the deal is accepted or turned down, would they recompense the clubs for any lost revenue?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sam4731 said:

Ah the old 'being on TV reduces attendances' trope. I have literally no sources but I'm pretty sure it's been debunked many, many times.

To be fair Sam, how many Championship games do you attend in enough numbers to make a fair comparison, from my expierience as a regular attendee both home and away the move from Sunday afternoon 3.00 kick offs to 20:00 Monday evenings was telling, how many would travel cross Pennine Monday's as opposed to Sunday's I didn't.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

From the report it suggests that it applies to all commercial TV deals brought into the game.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

To be fair Sam, how many Championship games do you attend in enough numbers to make a fair comparison, from my expierience as a regular attendee both home and away the move from Sunday afternoon 3.00 kick offs to 20:00 Monday evenings was telling, how many would travel cross Pennine Monday's as opposed to Sunday's I didn't.

That’s why Monday evenings are specifically excluded from this deal.

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Is it completely out of the question to approach channel 4 and see if they would better the deal for a weekend slot, it’s peanuts for them and they genuinely seemed disappointed they missed out on the SL rights again.