What's the best game you've been to?

Thought some balance would be nice.

Wakefield beating featherstone in the grand final to get into Super League. Was a ball boy that season great memories.

Beating St. Helens at Oakwell with a last minute drop goal.

Great Britain beating Australia at Huddersfield 2001. Just looked it up and we beat Australia with Mike Forshaw playing scrum half and Kev Sinfield playing hooker. Just a great atmosphere.

• Like 1

There's been a fair few from the actually quality of the game point of view.

The real standouts also have a great atmosphere and edge. Wigan v Manly in 1987 was an unbelievable atmosphere and huge event. An official attendance of 36,895 crammed into Central Park like sardines.

In recent years Wigan v Penrith was a pretty special match and probably the closest to that.

There's been a number of classic Wigan v Saints and Challenge Cup finals too from the 80s and 90s at a packed, old Wembley.

There have been many great games but those huge events always standout more and are the games that live long in the menory.

• Like 1

1980 Halifax v Wakefield in't Challenge Cup. No tries as Fax won 7-3 with Jonny Blair's tactical kicking and four drop goals too much for Wakefield in front of a 12,800 crowd. I've never before or since experienced an atmosphere like that day anywhere. Brilliant! 💙 🏉 🤍❗

• Like 1

1985 Challenge Cup final.

• Like 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

In a sociological study I intend to publish on the mindset of Rugby League fans, I predict that the 'worst game you have been to' thread will end up about 5 times longer than the 'best game' thread.

• Haha 5

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Probably, in terms of atmosphere and drama, the 2003 Challenge Cup final between Leeds and Bradford.

• Like 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, Spidey said:

For the event and the result and after the sheer disappointment of Englands performances. The 2008 World Cup Final

That was epic watching it on TV and such a great moment.It was just fantastic seeing Australia lose one and someone else winning. Unfortunately I wasn't there but lucky you.

• Like 1

Easy for me to say 2016 Sharks GF win, but I probably enjoyed more the Prelim Final the week before.

We were facing the Cowboys who belted us 30odd nil in the 2015 KO semi final, so it was great to get some payback.

Then it was the performance. We slowly but surely dominated and increased the lead. When Maloney went over, the 99% Sharks crowd were in hysterics knowing we were on our way to the GF. It was a great performance in front of a vocal audience. I was almost ejected by cops for continually berating the cowboys players on my side of the pitch.

• Like 1

1978 Challenge Cup Final Leeds v St Helens.. my first wembley, a truly brilliant game in front of 96,000 , in the balance until the final hooter, and having watched it again numerous times , it stands comparison with any of the more modern day classics.

• Like 1

Most enjoyable was Sheffield beating Wigan in the Challenge Cup Final . Bought the tickets months before so didn`t know who would be playing , went down expecting the usual Wigan rout ,and really got into being a Sheffield fan for the day .

• Like 2

For me I don't think anything will beat the drama of the 2010 Grand Final and the golden point win against Fev. Such a surreal day with everything that went on before and during the game. 

As a "neutral" probably the 2002 Grand Final which I went to with a large group that included some good friends of mine who are Bradford fans. Was strange cheering the Sean Long drop goal but was a beautiful moment. 🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

1985 Challenge Cup final.

Probably mine too, especially so given that it was my first time at Challenge Cup Final.

The biggest emotional rollercoaster ride was the 2013 world cup semi final, it probably would've been my top choice if we'd won, unless of course we'd went on to win the final 

• Like 1

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

2 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Probably mine too, especially so given that it was my first time at Challenge Cup Final.

The biggest emotional rollercoaster ride was the 2013 world cup semi final, it probably would've been my top choice if we'd won, unless of course we'd went on to win the final 

I was torn between the Manly game at Central Park, the first ever game I attended (the Wigan Saints Lancashire Cup final) and the '85 Challenge Cup final.

I think the Manly game was a more memorable event, a night game always provides a better atmosphere and that night was electric.

But even though Wigan Manly was a great game, the combination of a packed sunlit Wembley and the wonderful game full of great tries, the 85 game wins overall as the best game I have ever seen.

As an added bonus, I was 15 at the time and on the train I sat across from two girls in their early 20's I guess wearing low cut catsuits.  That memory is etched in my mind... it was like something out of Charlie's Angels.

I try not to think about the fact those girls will be I their 60's now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I was torn between the Manly game at Central Park, the first ever game I attended (the Wigan Saints Lancashire Cup final) and the '85 Challenge Cup final.

I think the Manly game was a more memorable event, a night game always provides a better atmosphere and that night was electric.

But even though Wigan Manly was a great game, the combination of a packed sunlit Wembley and the wonderful game full of great tries, the 85 game wins overall as the best game I have ever seen.

As an added bonus, I was 15 at the time and on the train I sat across from two girls in their early 20's I guess wearing low cut catsuits.  That memory is etched in my mind... it was like something out of Charlie's Angels.

I try not to think about the fact those girls will be I their 60's now.

I was at the Manly game too and I fully understand why a Wigan fan would choose it, it was magical. As someone neither from Wigan or a Wigan supporter, I chose the 1985 final because, to me, it literally had everything as a game, add to that my first Wembley visit as an 18 year old away in London with his club mates. Unbeatable 

• Like 2

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

In terms of atmosphere, for me as a Widnes fan, beating Australia in 1978. As a small child, I watched the whole game from pitchside over the boundary wall, as the crowd had spilled over from the terraces. Far more people in the ground than the official attendance. Must've been incredibly intimidating for the visitors playing in such conditions. 

Obviously Widnes beating Wigan at Naughton Park to win the league in 1989, and Widnes beating Canberra at Old Trafford.

In terms of an epic struggle, hard to see past Wigan vs Manly in 1987 as mentioned above. Also GB's 8-4 win against Australia at Wembley in the first test in 1994 after Shaun Edwards was sent off.

My greatest memory from playing was probably not objectively a great game. We played a cup game in snowy, icy conditions at Runcorn and won by one try to nil, but it was one of those games where the whole team seemed to rise to the occasion and tackle their hearts out. Out of hundreds of games, it's the one that really sticks in my mind.

• Like 3