Mergers

Long time ago I know but how was Sheffield allowed to merge with Huddersfield and Gateshead with hull and both clubs able to reform under their own steam the following season

• Haha 2

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

7 hours ago, Barry Badrinath said:

Oh christ 

Whether or not you suspect covert intent or ulterior motive, it’s an interesting question about an interesting episode in Rugby League’s history. A short narrative description of the course of the events involved would be worth a read. Particularly from someone prepared to write more than the smart one phrase or one sentence responses which can sometimes seem to predominate on these forums.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cerulean said:

Whether or not you suspect covert intent or ulterior motive, it’s an interesting question about an interesting episode in Rugby League’s history. A short narrative description of the course of the events involved would be worth a read. Particularly from someone prepared to write more than the smart one phrase or one sentence responses which can sometimes seem to predominate on these forums.

I wasn’t trying to be contentious. Just a serious question 

• Haha 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

1 hour ago, Cerulean said:

I don't suspect anything from the op, I would imagine it's being asked in good faith,  however being long in the tooth as I am I know this is going to head to a slanging match about gateshull thunder and shuddersfield.

For some it's picking at an old wound

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, DEANO said:

I wasn’t trying to be contentious. Just a serious question 

Sorry if it appeared otherwise: I didn't think you were trying to be contentious. I agree that it's a question worth asking. Some of the younger viewers will have little idea about what happened.

There are those on here, though, who would suspect ulterior motives.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DEANO said:

Long time ago I know but how was Sheffield allowed to merge with Huddersfield and Gateshead with hull and both clubs able to reform under their own steam the following season

Is it November 5th already? 

It will be "interesting" to read the responses to your question but I think getting a factual and non-partisan might be a challenge.

10 hours ago, DEANO said:

Dodgy goings on.

16 hours ago, DEANO said:

I don't think either club was 'allowed' - it was more a forced merger. 

Both Gateshead Thunder,as was,and Sheffield Eagles were then 'allowed' to start again from the lowest league.Hull,of course had a history of overpaying players that they couldn't afford.

Hull FC once had a chair by the name Hardaker.He was the brother of the chap in charge of the Football League ( soccer ).

The pair of them affected Sunderland AFC who were found guilty of illegal payments to players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

17 hours ago, DEANO said:

You are mistaken.  Gateshead didn't play in the 1999/2000 season.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

17 hours ago, DEANO said:

Bang on.

And while we're at it, that was a voluntary tackle by Chris Joynt every day of the week.

• Haha 5

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Bang on.

And while we're at it, that was a voluntary tackle by Chris Joynt every day of the week.

If somebody had tackled him, I'd agree.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

9 hours ago, Eddie said:

Saints and Wigan should merge to form a super club. 

Tbh the theory of super clubs (and indeed franchises in its various forms) has that as a very real possibility

Manchester, London, Paris, a merged Hull club and whatever else yet Wigan and Saints were unaffected and taking up two spots 🤷🏻‍♂️  

8 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Bang on.

This summer rugby won’t last. 

On 27/04/2024 at 13:51, sam4731 said:

Why stop there? We've got 12 clubs that we can easily condense into 3 super clubs.

You're lacking ambition. We could assimilate all clubs into one collective hive to achieve perfection. 

• Haha 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

2 hours ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

You're lacking ambition. We could assimilate all clubs into one collective hive to achieve perfection. 

Great idea. We could cherry pick the best players and have them play against a selection of the others.

The first choice team we could call England because it would be a representation of the English league and the other selected players we could call Combined Nations Allstars to reflect the international diversity in SL.

Anyone got the RFL's number?