R.I.P Jonah Lomu

Probably destined for the cross code forum, but RIP Jonah Lomu. 40 is no age to die.. Played junior Rugby League as a kid in Auckland and union while at Wesley College. Unions gain was definitely our loss.

One of the most enjoyable union experiences i've seen was watching him stomp all over Will Carling et al at the 95 union world cup. RIPJonah.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Rugby League or Rugby Union seriously who cares.... Lets leave it there.

40 is way to early to leave this world. I feel sorry for his wife and young kids robbed of their husband and father. I hope suitable funds are set up for his family if they are in need of money.

Rest in peace big man, you always came across as a gent and respectful to all.

Moving this to AOB rather than cross code, as that's where our existing Obituary Thread is and where this very sad news has already been noted.

Please keep this respectful. Not the time or place for any cross code nonsense.

Thank you.

I was on my way out so I had to keep it short. Yep, absolute legend and champion. Died way to young. Loved watching him play and also loved playing his computer game on PS1 back in the day. I was quite taken aback how sad I was when I heard the news.  

In the amateur RU age he was what modern day wingers try to be - big and fast - without the advantages the modern game of RU offers.

Him stomping over Carling and brushing aside English, Irish, Scottish and other poor unfortunate players is an abiding memory of 1995. I was watching "Invictus" recently and the guy who played him was nowhere near as impressive as the man himself.

http://talksport.com/rugby-union/video-jonah-lomu-v-england-1995-rugby-world-cup-all-blacks-legendary-four-try

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

His performance in that semi-final in 1995 was like a man playing against little kids. I still supported Eng RU at the time and was devastated.

Professional team sport will probably never see such a huge impact as he had. The whole sport of RU had to change the way they played to combat him.

It's a shame that as a RL junior he never played our game. 

Check the many YouTube videos, and what strikes me is the smoothness of his movement, whether he was stepping or splattering opponents. One of Rugby Union's genuinely great athletes.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Check the many YouTube videos, and what strikes me is the smoothness of his movement, whether he was stepping or splattering opponents. One of Rugby Union's genuinely great athletes.

There was a photo on Facebook today of his junior college athletics honour board,he held records at 100,200,400m,long jump,javelin,shot put and discus,what an athlete he was.

Same as the other great athletes, they make the otherwise good players look distinctly ordinary.  Lomu was one of the few players who was genuinely good but also had the showbiz attributes as well that got people watching, beyond that, those I know who knew him said he was a really lovely man.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

R.I.P Jonah.

Great athlete, and always came across as a nice bloke. 40 is no age to go.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

A great loss, a wonderful athlete and always came across as a genuinely decent bloke. 40 is far too early to go. RIP.

Without having read your post I was shocked to see mine below it almost repeating yours.

Shows how many people thought the same things about him.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I know he had been ill with kidney problem and rejection of the transplant but I was truly shocked when I read of his death. Despite seeing him smash my team to pieces with consummate ease (on more than one occasion) I had nothing but respect for the guy, he was an absolute monster on the pitch and seemed a genuinely nice guy off the pitch.

He was the same age as me and leaves behind a young family. Heartbreaking.

RIP big man

He played a game in Wrexham in 1995 and anyone who played for the RU team at the time played against him. He was a great sport and a softly-spoken gentle giant off the pitch. RIP Jonah.

Archived