The never-ending League Restructure debate (Many merged threads)

does anyone feel that despite all the championship clubs seemingly falling over themselves to embrace the 3/8 s system, it will make promotion to super league a lot harder than a simple one up one down system. That everyone would understand and give a championship clubs a straight forward route to sl rather than just a chance to play a few sl clubs at the end of a hard season. I can't see anything other than the rare upset as in the c.c., over 7 games it will be very hard for part time to beat full time!

I have said it before. If the licence system was still in place then Featherstone would be in pole position to take a licence with Cas, Wakey, London, Bradford etc. being in dire jeopardy. They had done everything right in terms of putting together programmes, stadium development and other stuff required.

There are only so many SL standard players to go around and not many of them will be signing for Championship clubs in the hope of an outside shot at the 4 out of 8 (8x3) lottery. Only 2 of the current Championship clubs are going to be in the second group of eight in all honesty. This means that any three from Batley, Leigh, Sheffield, Featherstone, Halifax could miss out.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does anyone feel that despite all the championship clubs seemingly falling over themselves to embrace the 3/8 s system, it will make promotion to super league a lot harder than a simple one up one down system. That everyone would understand and give a championship clubs a straight forward route to sl rather than just a chance to play a few sl clubs at the end of a hard season. I can't see anything other than the rare upset as in the c.c., over 7 games it will be very hard for part time to beat full time!

It could be harder than a one up/down system, yes.

But if the Championship is to get more funding to field a few full time sides, the gap will hopefully be significantly bridged. It could be bridged to an extent that more than one side goes up, which would make it easier to go up (more opportunity).

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

I don't like it for many of the reasons mentioned. We'll start panicking as soon as the bottom 4 SL (or whatever we're calling it) clubs thump the top 4 Champ (or whatever we're calling it) clubs, and probably start again with something else. 

For me one of the litmus tests is: is it feasible that this system is robust enough to use for the next 10-20 years? I'd say not.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

That's exactly right. This system is designed to placate Championship clubs by seemingly offering them a straightforward shot at promotion but, in reality, a promotion will be rarer and more infrequent than getting to SL under licencing.

Time will tell, but I think one team every four or so years might get promoted.

Guaranteed promotion for the championship winners ( subject to minimum standards being met ) is better than a stacked playoff ###### shoot against higher financed and battle tested opponents.

I am a staunch advocate of p and r but this hybrid heath robinson contraption with more questions than answers will be a disaster for Championship clubs.

I believe that myself, But it will take 2/3 seasons for it to dawn on some clubs, By which time they will either have gone bust trying to compete with the top clubs, ( if they are really ambitious ) or they will have settled for playing at a lower level and will somehow be pulling in mega crowds, by doing so.

Either way i fail to see how they are going to add anything at all to the top of the game.

After nearly 4,000 posts , ( with some very good ones both sides ) It still makes little sense to me.  I should be quite happy with the prospect of playing the games top clubs more often,  But it seems to me that it's possible to play the same team 6 times in a season.

I don't see this middle tier pulling in anything like the crowds it's claimed, but like everyone else I hope i'm wrong.  With regards to your own club, IMO it will , In the next few years be the only SL club in the so called Calder area. I know i am risking the wrath of the Fev faithful saying that,  but i don't think Mr N is prepared to fund what's coming, Unless as i said earlier they are going to settle for lower level stuff, and it's all just been about getting the extra money.

A lot will depend on Sky of course, and you have to hope that someone at RFL has done some work on their wants, Because up to now they have shown little or no interest in anything below top level.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

There must be something in the water around Featherstone way, they are all paranoid, the whole lot of them.

I'd just like to say that the mods on here have always been fair, and I've had run ins in the past, but I have never felt that the mods have been nothing but even handed and sensible.

No need to tar us all with the same brush. There are certainly some Fev fans who could probably argue with themselves in an empty room, but I'd suggest there are plenty like that who post on here that support other teams too.

Personally, I've never seen any issue with how the moderating appears to work on here. Other differ, that's their prerogative, but as has already been pointed out, you can always post your thoughts elsewhere.

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

It is going to be difficult particularly in the first season with the two relegated sides receiving the most funding plus £250k parachute payment, but once it settles down I reckon one win against a SL side, as we've seen can quite easily happen, and three against championship teams should be enough to secure top four. So it is very achievable in my opinion. I don't think one up, one down was an option available to vote on was it?

Edited by Terry Mullaney

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House

Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.picturehouseweddingfilms.co.uk/

Either way i fail to see how they are going to add anything at all to the top of the game.

I know we're going round in circles for the umpteenth time but this is key for me.  The RFL have put forward a system that puts all the focus on mediocrity - indeed it practically celebrates it.

And in doing so they have hammered the final nail in the Challenge Cup, taken away the lower tiers' only chances of genuine silverware, given up the community game and waved a white flag at international development.

But, y'know, jeopardy.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

That's right, but finish 4th and that team would have to win another game against a SL side in the 4th v 5th playoff to gain promotion. Its gonna be hard but its a better system than licensing for me, all games mean something. The 3rd 8 are playing to win a trophy also and to stay in the championship as the bottom 2 of the 3rd 8 get relegated and 2 get promoted from championship 1. I think this will be a success.

I know we're going round in circles for the umpteenth time but this is key for me.  The RFL have put forward a system that puts all the focus on mediocrity - indeed it practically celebrates it.

And in doing so they have hammered the final nail in the Challenge Cup, taken away the lower tiers' only chances of genuine silverware, given up the community game and waved a white flag at international development.

But, y'know, jeopardy.

Sky will love it, the whole game is in jeopardy.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

But, y'know, jeopardy.

Sums the whole thing up.

But, y'know, jeopardy.

Sky will love it, the whole game is in jeopardy.

and won't Statler & Waldorf just love going over, and over, and over, and over, and over..........................it all

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

and won't Statler & Waldorf just love going over, and over, and over, and over, and over..........................it all

Which one am I?  ;)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Which one am I?  ;)

You're more Beaker & Padge...maybe Dr Teeth

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

But, y'know, jeopardy.

What makes me laugh is that people expect the same Wood-led RFL administration that brought us the list below to make a success of this structure: 

a. the failure of licensing through poor governance

b. the failure of the Stobart deal and no sponsor for the flagship competition

c. the Crusaders fiasco

d. the huge reduction in Sport England funding due to badly failing on their participation targets

e. dual registration

f. huge rifts in the community game... (I could continue...!)

That's right, but finish 4th and that team would have to win another game against a SL side in the 4th v 5th playoff to gain promotion. Its gonna be hard but its a better system than licensing for me, all games mean something. The 3rd 8 are playing to win a trophy also and to stay in the championship as the bottom 2 of the 3rd 8 get relegated and 2 get promoted from championship 1. I think this will be a success.

But It's all about this middle 8 isn't it. ( not having a go at you personally ) As Gingerjon says it could be the end of the CC, and with 6 out of the 8 teams in the middle 8 being present SL clubs , It leaves as someone has said room for only 2 out of Fev, Sheffield Fax Leigh, Batley, whoever. ( God help us on here if Fev aren't one of them ).

The whole thing is ill thought out, I will say for the last time that the game needs to generate more money, Not spread out thinner what there is , And again in my opinion anyone who thinks Fans are going to flood in, in many extra thousands to watch a lower level game, is going to be disappointed. I get the thinking behind the local Derbies and all that, But why didn't it make these clubs big and successful before SL came along.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

But It's all about this middle 8 isn't it. ( not having a go at you personally ) As Gingerjon says it could be the end of the CC, and with 6 out of the 8 teams in the middle 8 being present SL clubs , It leaves as someone has said room for only 2 out of Fev, Sheffield Fax Leigh, Batley, whoever. ( God help us on here if Fev aren't one of them ).

The whole thing is ill thought out, I will say for the last time that the game needs to generate more money, Not spread out thinner what there is , And again in my opinion anyone who thinks Fans are going to flood in, in many extra thousands to watch a lower level game, is going to be disappointed. I get the thinking behind the local Derbies and all that, But why didn't it make these clubs big and successful before SL came along.

The idea that the RFL is celebrating mediocrity is difficult to understand. The top eight of SL will still be playing off to reach a grand final as far as I can see and below that there is now an intriguing battle to be had involving the rest of SL, who would normally just be playing the season out with nothing at stake, and the best of the Championship plus a similar battle lower down the scale. I'm really struggling to come up with one good reason why this won't capture the imagination and have the potential to increase crowds.

And by the way, if Fev don't make the cut then it will be down to them not being good enough and that's how it should be. I think your comment was uncalled for to be honest.

The idea that the RFL is celebrating mediocrity is difficult to understand. The top eight of SL will still be playing off to reach a grand final as far as I can see and below that there is now an intriguing battle to be had involving the rest of SL, who would normally just be playing the season out with nothing at stake, and the best of the Championship plus a similar battle lower down the scale. I'm really struggling to come up with one good reason why this won't capture the imagination and have the potential to increase crowds.

And by the way, if Fev don't make the cut then it will be down to them not being good enough and that's how it should be. I think your comment was uncalled for to be honest.

It depends on how competitive the middle 8 is. If, as many suspect, the bottom 4 SL sides are going to be far too strong for the KPC sides then it's going to be a farce.

Just a point about there being nothing anyone outside the sl top eight can win with there being no more NRC and so on........it's all about your perspective on success and winning.........I think most fans outside the top six realise they are not gonna win the challenge cup or be super league champions........This new format creates exciting meaningful play off game that teams can build towards (or fall into)...... As a fan of a lower league soccer team I'd much rather my team get in the play offs and do well than win the Johnstone paints trophy.........I think most fans of teams who play in the NRC would rather do well in these new play offs than win the NRC IMO

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

It depends on how competitive the middle 8 is. If, as many suspect, the bottom 4 SL sides are going to be far too strong for the KPC sides then it's going to be a farce.

We'll just have to wait and see how competitive it is.........the fact there will now be a competition for places will be far more appealing. Teams playing out the season knowing they can be relegated is far more of a farce IMO

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

But it's not a case of all the championship sides having to beat all the SL teams. If one CC club beats each of the teams from its own competition it will probably only need to win against one SL club to make the four. Very doable in my opinion. Then it's down to a 4 v 5 one off and a massive crowd I'd suspect

You witter on about censorship, then appear to demand it for anyone who has a view contrary to your own.

I have done nothing of the sort and you know that.  

All I have done is ask that all forum members are treated the same when posts are deleted because of abuse or topic derailment.  My PM in July and my deleted posts this week show that this is not the case.

I would appreciate it if you would stick to the facts without trying to put words into my mouth.

"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

I have done nothing of the sort and you know that.  

All I have done is ask that all forum members are treated the same when posts are deleted because of abuse or topic derailment.  My PM in July and my deleted posts this week show that this is not the case.

I would appreciate it if you would stick to the facts without trying to put words into my mouth.

That is how you come across

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

One of the things that I believe make rugby league unique is that assuming the teams are pretty evenly matched, then there doesn't have to be anything at stake to produce a fantastic match. I think it might be a caveman thing or something but I think it brings it out in any two teams.

But if the teams are woefully mismatched then it isn't quite as simple and it can become boring. Which is nothing to do with whether the team is going to be relegated or not.

I don't think this new system will work but if it's going to happen then let's see what unfolds. Hopefully the non believers will have to eat humble pie. But I suspect not.

In your view then we should scrap the Challenge Cup?  Apart from a few upsets you get cricket scores in that competition.  Maybe we should have a 14 team Challenge cup knock out only including SL clubs.  The mouth waters at the prospect!

"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins