Sign in to follow this  
Old Frightful

30th Sept : The Million Pound Game : Leigh Centurions v Catalans Dragons K.O. 3pm Sky TV

8 minutes ago, Deranged Drunk Guy said:

Praying for Catalans. What site can this game be viewed on ?  YouTube? 

Rugby League needs the Catalans Dragons.

Rugby League will still have Catalans if they get relegated.

A Leigh victory would be great for supporters of this play off system in showing that a team can get promoted and be good enough to keep their place. Lets hope Leigh do the business today.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

They may not be the same club then though. 

( People said the same when Crusaders were relegated. )

Edited by westlondonfan

11 minutes ago, westlondonfan said:

So its SL or nothing ? 

Is that the sign of a healthy sport ? 

So your opinion of everything below SL is what ? 

35 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

A Leigh victory would be great for supporters of this play off system in showing that a team can get promoted and be good enough to keep their place. Lets hope Leigh do the business today.

An alternatively view: Leigh are operating in a saturated market and their sustainsbility s doubtful.  They might never grow above what they are now, whereas Cats clearly ARE sustainable, with crowds 50% or more higher than Leigh's for example.

My personal preference would be for a Cats win.

However, rules are rules and by that measure, if Leigh win, they deserve to stay up and no argument with that. Cats ..and Leigh have both had their chances this season ..and blown them.

Just that in my view a Cats win would be better for the whole game.

• Like 8

Four legs good - two legs bad

19 minutes ago, JohnM said:

An alternatively view: Leigh are operating in a saturated market and their sustainsbility s doubtful.  They might never grow above what they are now, whereas Cats clearly ARE sustainable, with crowds 50% or more higher than Leigh's for example.

However, rules are rules and by that measure, if Leigh win, they deserve to stay up and no argument with that. Cats ..and Leigh have both had their chances this season ..and blown them.

Are Catalans averaging 13k this season? 

Leigh have done well and to average 6500 out if a Town a mere 5 times less the size is good going.

Other than that, no one wants to see Catalans relegated and that includes me being a Leigh fan.

If goalposts are moved to accomodate 13 teams next year, you will get no arguments from me. 

27 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Its all ifs and buts but if the same was said about Wakey, Cas and Fev a few years back and action taken on the back of those ideas then Cas would not be the best team in the competition and Wakey and Fev may not be making strides forward.
Ive said on other threads regarding Catalans, they have so much more in way of catchment areas for both fans and players yet they find them selves in this position which to me suggests that the game in France may not be strong enough to support a SL team.

44 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So its SL or nothing ? 

I agree but without a successful top division the sport will not survive or "be able to compete with Australia " . Look at the attendances that clubs in the lower divisions get?

In an ideal world promotion and relegation would be best and that includes coming into division one from outside (Manchester Rangers?) in practice however, licensing works better for RL. 

Edited by westlondonfan

16 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

Are Catalans averaging 13k this season? 

Leigh have done well and to average 6500 out if a Town a mere 5 times less the size is good going.

Your maths is off. 50% more would be 9750.

13k would be 200%.

I'm fun at parties

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UniSamX said:

13k would be 200%.

I'm fun at parties

Or put another way Sam

6500 + 50% is 9750

6500 + 100% is 13,000

I cause arguments and confusion at parties

• Like 1

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

1 minute ago, GaryO said:

Or put another way Sam

6500 + 50% is 9750

6500 + 100% is 13,000

I cause arguments and confusion at parties

Haha, I always got in trouble for not showing my workings :rtfm:

Bet your marks were better than mine

13 minutes ago, UniSamX said:

13k would be 200%.

I'm fun at parties

I'm a little bit dubious of Cats declared attendances , no more than 6/7 K there for our visit including over a 1,000 from Leigh , but a much larger total published 

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Actually John remember the other day when you suggested I try harder

Leighs average attendance this season has been 6521, Cats Dragons was 8777 just 2256 more or put another way 34%, not 50% and certainly not more, and I would suggest that in that number that Catalan enjoyed more away fans that Leigh recieved from other clubs.

Perhaps Blues Ox is correct in that the population of the Perpignan area some 130000 are not as bothered about RL as some people would like us to believe they are.

Edited by GaryO

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

So its SL or nothing ? 

Part-time, semi-pro, smaller business, lower income levels.  Take your pick.

The bizarre thing was Derek Beaumont being quoted in the press about how it would be a bad thing if Catalans were  relegated and how he wanted them in SL (not at the expense of his own club) because, in his words, 'we need to grow the game'.

I fully appreciate he'd want his own club to be at the top table, but - seriously - how does it 'grow the game' to have another club from that area in Super League? Draw a 12 mile radius around the LSV on Google Maps and there are three other Super League Clubs within that radius. I just don't understand have adding a fourth team, in a small town of 50K people, helps to 'grow the game'?

13 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

The bizarre thing was Derek Beaumont being quoted in the press about how it would be a bad thing if Catalans were  relegated and how he wanted them in SL (not at the expense of his own club) because, in his words, 'we need to grow the game'.

I fully appreciate he'd want his own club to be at the top table, but - seriously - how does it 'grow the game' to have another club from that area in Super League? Draw a 12 mile radius around the LSV on Google Maps and there are three other Super League Clubs within that radius. I just don't understand have adding a fourth team, in a small town of 50K people, helps to 'grow the game'?

It doesn't but that is rugby league for you.

10 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Actually Paul its 4 SL clubs within 12 miles.

I am a Leigh fan of over 50 years, and we are what we are, yes a small fish in a big pond a small town of under 50K, but we have a belief and a passion, some would like to get rud of us and replace us with London because they have "potential", also your club because it is a fallen giant, or Tolouse and Toronto because they create expansion.

But you know what I will be there again as always today, in the middle of and surrounded by a lot of fervent passion and for that hour and a half I won't give a toss about what is "good for the game" I will be no diffetent to any fan from Cas, Saints, Leeds or Hull over the last 2 evenings, I will be in attendance because my club is playing and like them I will want my team to win and any thoughts of the opposition I will have in that time will just be to defeat them.

If people are going to criticise me for those feelings then go ahead, but whoever they are and whoever they support, 99% of them will like me be putting their own team first and foremost.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

I'm a little bit dubious of Cats declared attendances , no more than 6/7 K there for our visit including over a 1,000 from Leigh , but a much larger total published 

That must have been tedious. Counting all the crowd one by one 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Yet the best team in the competition only have a population of about 40k?

DK-NjwJWsAAHTIt.jpg

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

32 minutes ago, GaryO said:

If people are going to criticise me for those feelings then go ahead

Thata a given on a forum. 

My feelings are that I'd lke to see Cats still in SL. Sadly, to do that this year would see Leigh relegated. Maybe a 14 team SL would be the answer,  but not sure. 

Still believe that Leigh's market is saturated. 

10 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Yet the best team in the competition only have a population of about 40k?

Which shows the irrelevance of using population areguments on here. 

2 hours ago, westlondonfan said:

They just need to look at HKR and learn some lessons from how they coped.

25 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Thata a given on a forum. 

My feelings are that I'd lke to see Cats still in SL. Sadly, to do that this year would see Leigh relegated. Maybe a 14 team SL would be the answer,  but not sure. 

Still believe that Leigh's market is saturated. 

No it isn't. There is still plenty growth possible to the north (towards Bolton) and east of Leigh both of which are heavily populated