• Australia by 1 to 6 points
    • Fiji by 1 to 6 points
    • Fiji by 7 to 12 points
    • Fiji by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't see Fiji upsetting Australia. Really, I can't.

I hope they do score a few tries and raise the atmosphere. But a tough test for the Australians will only get them even more prepared for the final.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Krzzystuff said:

Yeah it's the first WC for me and i haven't watched any of the Oz games outside of highlights. Going against the grain here but as a neutral watching for the first time i want Fiji and Tonga in the final. Based on their performances so far they deserve it. Oz and Eng haven't been very exciting so far.

You have mainly watched third division RL from the UK, got some SL and Championship knowledge too no doubt and now a WC. Has it changed your perceptions of RL seeing the international side to it?

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Australia have met Fiji at the semi-final stage of the last two world cups with the aggregate score currently reading 116-0 in favour of Australia!

Fiji have had an impressive world cup so far albeit against very modest opposition in the group stage and the game against New Zealand was notable for New Zealand being utterly horrendous, as brilliant as Fiji's win was. Hopefully they can get some of their more dangerous players into the game but the feeling persists that Australia will win this pretty comfortably.

Viliame Kikau's visa expired a few days ago, and he missed a couple of days' training.

However he's managed to get a temporary extension. Phew! A really promising young star.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I am clearly swimming against the tide here, but: 

- Fiji's defence was superb last week, as it has been all comp;

- Australia playing an out of shape Samoa is no preparation for this game. Fiji will be far more battle hardened;

- Fiji would have destroyed Samoa, and were clinical and efficient in despatching of a Kiwi side which looked very good for 2 1/2 of its preceding games;

- Potter is a great coach with a lot to prove. How good is Meninga? 

- the Australians are at their most vulnerable when they turn up expecting to win. Buoyed by their own press, they will have spent the week having their suits made for the final. For Fiji, this game means everything;

- Fiji's attacking might is on a par with the Aussies when they are on song; 

- in 2008 they did not play anyone much prior to coming up against the Aussies (but were equally wonderful to watch while doing so). They are more battle hardened than they have ever been, with a highly motivated and skilled spine. 

The Aussies will win, but they will be run close. 

Fiji to do better than their last two goes at the Kangaroos, but the latter to still pick them apart when it counts.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 20/11/2017 at 7:50 PM, GeordieSaint said:

I’d just like to see a game where the Aussies aren’t allowed to get away with messing around at the play-the-ball. 

You won’t see it.  That’s the game played and at times, we really struggle with it.  The one thing I dislike about NRL.

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

You won’t see it.  That’s the game played and at times, we really struggle with it.  The one thing I dislike about NRL.

the sheer fact aus just stand miles off side while defending their own line while officials  ignore it is the worst part of modern rl- sometimes the defender gets to the 1st  man before the ball  does , gerrem onside ref ffs

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Meninga and Smith complain about the ref not clamping down on the slow rucks. Australia are the worst team in the WC for doing this.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

On 21/11/2017 at 9:46 AM, Bramstein said:

Australia have met Fiji at the semi-final stage of the last two world cups with the aggregate score currently reading 116-0 in favour of Australia!

Fiji have had an impressive world cup so far albeit against very modest opposition in the group stage and the game against New Zealand was notable for New Zealand being utterly horrendous, as brilliant as Fiji's win was. Hopefully they can get some of their more dangerous players into the game but the feeling persists that Australia will win this pretty comfortably.

I can't see Australia keeping up their 58 point winning average. Fiji will be a lot tougher this time out but probably the Kangaroos  by about 20 points. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

11 minutes ago, jacksy said:

Meninga and Smith complain about the ref not clamping down on the slow rucks. Australia are the worst team in the WC for doing this.

The Refs can easily control it, if they want.  Refs don’t have accept players questioning their every decision, but gamesmanship, call it what you will, is creeping slowly into the game.  

You disagree Geordiesaint? Australia are the masters of slowing the ruck and the wrestle.

Then they have the audacity to complain about the ref not punishing their opponents.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Just now, GeordieSaint said:

Nope - laughing at the hypocrisy of the Aussies.

Oh, i see.  :-)

Archived