1800 at Widnes last night

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Were those games included in the season ticket? 

Why should that matter?

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

38 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Were those games included in the season ticket? 

I doubt it. But it just goes to show how the core support for those two clubs has reached unsustainable low levels.

Hard as it might be, although RL will always have a presence in both Widnes and Huddersfield there seems little reason to be enthusiastic about them being in Super League any more.

19 minutes ago, dixiedean said:

Anybody know how many away fans? I fear the figures will look even worse with those subtracted.

Well yes, it is hard to imagine the figures would be greater once the away fans were subtracted.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

12 minutes ago, langpark said:

Forgive me for posting something positive about last night, but.....

image.thumb.png.9ac9b1b48417c3f39e4be98b1731927e.png

Says a lot for the game at the moment when 4000k is classed as a positive. Total of 10,625 for 4 games including 6 SL clubs is a serious issue, and it's sending out a terrible image for the game. I fear lots more embarrassing moments for the game this year with 1/4 full stadium in denver and a possible sub 60k at Wembley. 

Reports on Twitter that pre-sales are at 4,500 for Castleford. Not clear if that includes the 1,500 sold by St Helens, but I would assume so.

Thankfully, older stadiums like Castleford's don't highlight the empty spaces like the newer stadiums.

Dc8BmN-W4AA4EZ2.jpgThis wasn't a positive showing by either set of fans - this is the Leeds end about 15 mins before kick off - it did fill up a little more afterwards.

Yes, Leeds fans don't travel particularly well (there are altogether too many who claim to be the biggest fans ever but aren't there when we are in a rut); but the real problem here rests, sadly, with Widnes.

I don't think Betts being coach helps and I don't think the stadium in its current format helps.

I remember Naughton Park in the glory days; now it just seems permanently empty and soulless and sad, like a lottery winner has scrubbed up his semi into a mansion but still just uses one bedroom and the kitchen.

Betts is just about good enough to not get them relegated but not good enough to be the sort of coach who takes a substandard squad and makes them achieve more than the sum of their parts.

It's hard outside the club to know what is going on administratively - they seem to make the right noises in social engagement etc. But sometimes the headwinds are just too strong to cut through. What's the point of watching Widnes nowadays? In the world of Rugby League jeopardy they are too bad to give fans hope but too good to make fans fear.

44 minutes ago, saintspete83 said:

Says a lot for the game at the moment when 4000k is classed as a positive.

Let's get this into context.  They are not a Super League club and have been averaging about 3-3500 for most home matches.  It's not like they played a team that would bring a huge contingent.  The trend across the board is that CC matches are always LOWER than regular matches, because it's not included in the season ticket.  Leigh have bucked that trend with this attendance, so please, tell me how that is not a positive.

Widnes just seem like a club going nowhere. A good season for them is just scraping into the top 8 and making no mark whatsover in the 8s. They are just surviving, and dont appear to have the resources or the ambition to do any more than that. Some of the Widnes fans that post on here seem like really good guys, so I dont like to say it, but I can't see a SL of the future having Widnes in it. They just dont contribute anything currently.

36 minutes ago, MZH said:

Widnes just seem like a club going nowhere. A good season for them is just scraping into the top 8 and making no mark whatsover in the 8s. They are just surviving, and dont appear to have the resources or the ambition to do any more than that. Some of the Widnes fans that post on here seem like really good guys, so I dont like to say it, but I can't see a SL of the future having Widnes in it. They just dont contribute anything currently.

There are big problems with the Widnes club at the moment, I've posted recently about how I've never been more concerned that now. I don't think this is some temporary blip based on a coach or the team, people are giving up and finding better things to do. SL for a fan of a lower club is like Groundhog day. 

What is perhaps more uncomfortable to accept and I haven't seen mentioned on here is how much of this is a reflection of the state of the game in this country. There is so little to be positive about and such a stagnant feeling around the game on general that it is no surprise that the teams struggling on the field are hemorrhaging fans more than those that are winning regularly. 

2 hours ago, tim2 said:

Why should that matter?

Because you'd have to be blind not to recognise the affect of season tickets on attendances. 

It should actually have less of an effect on the away support but it seems like far fewer Leeds fans made the trip than for the league encounter. 

I suspect it reflects the status of the Challenge Cup. It's done IMO. 

4 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Because you'd have to be blind not to recognise the affect of season tickets on attendances. 

It should actually have less of an effect on the away support but it seems like far fewer Leeds fans made the trip than for the league encounter. 

I suspect it reflects the status of the Challenge Cup. It's done IMO. 

If the Challenge Cup goes it's a serious nail in the coffin of RL in my opinion. It's the only competition that has free to air exposure and it produces great matches. If the fans aren't going, the RFL and the clubs need to do something to change that.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

13 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

There are big problems with the Widnes club at the moment, I've posted recently about how I've never been more concerned that now. I don't think this is some temporary blip based on a coach or the team, people are giving up and finding better things to do. SL for a fan of a lower club is like Groundhog day. 

What is perhaps more uncomfortable to accept and I haven't seen mentioned on here is how much of this is a reflection of the state of the game in this country. There is so little to be positive about and such a stagnant feeling around the game on general that it is no surprise that the teams struggling on the field are hemorrhaging fans more than those that are winning regularly. 

Any game with a league structure has, by definition, teams that win and teams that lose. Others are simply average. If fans only go when the team is winning the sport should just revert to being amateur and leave it to the Aussies.

12 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

They didn’t win promotion to get in there in the first place

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Archived